Why everyone's traffic is down 9.7%

  • Dustin Woodard
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2009
      Well everyone's traffic isn't down 9.7%, but there is a built-in 9.7%
      loss pulling everyone down this month:
      http://tinyurl.com/monthlyanalyticsbias

      It's a no-brainer, but often overlooked.
    • Hailong XIA
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2009
        Well, the graphique is misleading, it shows great fluctuation, but in fact
        the traffic for the month January, March, May etc. are the same. Only the
        percentage is not enough, the real traffic data is needed and a combined
        graphique goes better.

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4, 2009
          That's the point - there is great growth fluctuation month-over-month
          with absolutely no daily traffic changes! January and August are the
          only months that won't face month-over-month growth fluctuations.

          It true that a graph of the actual monthly traffic volumes instead of
          growth rates would look fairly flat since I chose a flat traffic
          scenario, but I wanted to illustrate how monthly growth figures
          (something many companies use) can be misleading.

          -Dustin

          On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 9:26 AM, Hailong XIA <hailongxia@...> wrote:
          > Well, the graphique is misleading, it shows great fluctuation, but in fact
          > the traffic for the month January, March, May etc. are the same. Only the
          > percentage is not enough, the real traffic data is needed and a combined
          > graphique goes better.
          >
          > 2009/3/2 Dustin Woodard <webconnoisseur@...>
          >
          >> Well everyone's traffic isn't down 9.7%, but there is a built-in 9.7%
          >> loss pulling everyone down this month:
          >> http://tinyurl.com/monthlyanalyticsbias
          >>
          >> It's a no-brainer, but often overlooked.

        • Anil Batra
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 4, 2009
            Lesson:

            Don't just look at numbers (reports) analyze them, understand the full
            context.

            Invest in Analysis not just reporting.

            http://webanalysis.blogspot.com/2007/05/are-you-doing-web-reporting-or-web.html

            On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 7:30 AM, Dustin Woodard <webconnoisseur@...>wrote:

            > That's the point - there is great growth fluctuation month-over-month
            > with absolutely no daily traffic changes! January and August are the
            > only months that won't face month-over-month growth fluctuations.
            >
            > It true that a graph of the actual monthly traffic volumes instead of
            > growth rates would look fairly flat since I chose a flat traffic
            > scenario, but I wanted to illustrate how monthly growth figures
            > (something many companies use) can be misleading.
            >
            > -Dustin
            >
            > On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 9:26 AM, Hailong XIA <hailongxia@...<hailongxia%40gmail.com>>
            > wrote:
            > > Well, the graphique is misleading, it shows great fluctuation, but in
            > fact
            > > the traffic for the month January, March, May etc. are the same. Only the
            > > percentage is not enough, the real traffic data is needed and a combined
            > > graphique goes better.
            > >
            > > 2009/3/2 Dustin Woodard <webconnoisseur@...<webconnoisseur%40gmail.com>
            > >

            > >> Well everyone's traffic isn't down 9.7%, but there is a built-in 9.7%
            > >> loss pulling everyone down this month:
            > >> http://tinyurl.com/monthlyanalyticsbias
            > >>
            > >> It's a no-brainer, but often overlooked.

            Anil Batra: http://www.AnilBatra.com
            Twitter: http://twitter.com/anilbatra
            Blog: http://webanalysis.blogspot.com
            Web Analytics Jobs at