Yahoo ad click-thru rate and Webtrends referral visits

  • Karan
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2009
      We have completed a run of ads on Yahoo and now have a report from
      Yahoo showing our click-thru rate for the campaign. The referral visit
      numbers I have been tracking in Webtrends are about half of the clicks
      that Yahoo is reporting. Any ideas how this is happening? I am needing
      to explain to management the difference...
    • Ken Hill
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2009
        Some possible causes:

        1. Clicks from Yahoo that have the referrer missing. This would be
        counted in Yahoo but show up as Direct Traffic in WebTrends.

        2. The difference between hits (clicks) and visits as a measure. It
        is entirely possible that someone bounces back to the Yahoo page and
        back into the site in what looks to Webtrends as the same session.

        3. Hit or visit filters on the Webtrends profiles that are dropping
        some of the relevant traffic.

        One interesting way to see these in action is to create a profile
        hit filter for the cookie on a test machine. Tou can then create a
        copy of existing profiles that only include activity from your test
        computer. You can try different scenarios from that machine and see
        how WebTrends is interpreting the data in the standard reports.
        That can be very enlightening.

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Karan" <ks858@...> wrote:

        > We have completed a run of ads on Yahoo and now have a report from
        > Yahoo showing our click-thru rate for the campaign. The referral
        visit
        > numbers I have been tracking in Webtrends are about half of the
        clicks
        > that Yahoo is reporting. Any ideas how this is happening? I am
        needing
        > to explain to management the difference...

      • Matt
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2009
          Are you using the tag based solution in Web Trneds?

          If so, remember that Yahoo! will always capture a click as soon as a
          visitor clicks on your PPC ad (that is, after it goes through a click
          fraud check). Tagged based tracking solutions only receive a visit
          when the visitor reaches the landing page and the tag executes.

          Are you sure all of your landing pages are tagged propperly? 50%
          difference seems rather high to me and would lead me to believe that
          there are some implementation issues happening. Seems like not all
          pages are being captured by WebTrends.

          Matt

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Karan" <ks858@...> wrote:

          > We have completed a run of ads on Yahoo and now have a report from
          > Yahoo showing our click-thru rate for the campaign. The referral
          visit
          > numbers I have been tracking in Webtrends are about half of the
          clicks
          > that Yahoo is reporting. Any ideas how this is happening? I am
          needing
          > to explain to management the difference...

        • michaelnotte
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2009
            What the others said plus...

            if URL's were correctly tagged
            :
            If you are running WT on Software - try to get some web server logs
            and analyze them (set-up proper campaign report)

            Check your Yahoo vs. SDC vs web server results

            If your SDC & Web server results are more or less similar (you won't
            get same figures) rather than Yahoo! => requests from Yahoo never
            reached your web server => problem occurred upfront.

            If Web server & Yahoo results are more or less similar => tagging
            issue.

            Cheers,

            Michaƫl
            http://www.kaizen-analytics.com

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 4, 2009
              (updated with correct link)

              I was writing a post on that subject when I saw your question (and partially replied to it)

              I put my own summary on why your Web Analytics data will (never) match youronline advertising data - see on http://tinyurl.com/dkzebm (correct link this time :-D)

              Hope it will help.

              Cheers,

              Michael
              www.kaizen-analytics.com

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 4, 2009
                Thank you all for your input, this helps tremendously.