Search Results tracking in Yahoo! Analytics

  • simonrigglesworth
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2009
      Hi there,

      We're using Yahoo! Analytics across some of the sites we're running at
      TUI (we got grandfathered from IndexTools). The main site I'm looking
      to update is http://www.crystalski.co.uk

      I want to set up some tracking in order to monitor how many times a
      user runs a search and we don't return any results (sold out etc).
      Once we're monitoring it we want to be able to see how many visits &
      visitors we're getting who fall down the black hole! Has anyone else
      managed to implement something similar using Yahoo Analytics?

      Thanks in advance!

      Simon
    • Charles Thrasher
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 3, 2009
        There are a number of reasons why clicks reported by a search engine
        don't match exactly with traffic reported by web analytics, first of
        which is that they use different methods of collecting data. I just
        posted an article on the adCenter Analytics blog specifically about the
        discrepancy that always exists between search engine reports and web
        analtyics - whatever search engine and whatever analtyics you're using -
        including:

        * Missing or improperly configured tracking URLs
        * Missing landing page tags
        * Clicks versus cookies
        * Broadly matched search keywords
        * Invalid clicks
        * Recency
        * Redirects

        The full post can be found at http://tinyurl.com/dl2ny6
        <http://tinyurl.com/dl2ny6> .

      • Dennis R. Mortensen
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 3, 2009
          Hey Simon,

          >>Has anyone else managed to implement something similar using Yahoo
          Analytics?

          Yes! :-)

          I assume you are specifically talking about the data collection part
          of it. And To track that an internal search has occurred and to be in
          control of the number of internal search actions in general, use the
          INTERNAL_SEARCH standard action: (I provide both the legacy code and
          the updated code)

          Version 4
          var ACTION='INTERNAL_SEARCH';

          Version 5
          YWATracker.setAction("INTERNAL_SEARCH");

          And I sure you agree that the most important part of Internal Search
          is the ability to track the search query itself and if and how many
          results were included in your SERP. You do this using
          the variables _S_ISK and _S_ISR:

          Version 4
          var _S_ISK='manhattan airport'; // represent the search phrase
          var _S_ISR='0'; // represent the number of search results

          Version 5
          YWATracker.setISK("manhattan airport"); // represent the search phrase
          YWATracker.setISR("0"); // represent the number of search results

          What follows is a full example. I strongly suggest you add in at least
          two additional variables when you deploy internal search tracking.

          Version 4
          var DOCUMENTGROUP='Search';
          var DOCUMENTNAME='Blog SERP`;
          var ACTION='INTERNAL_SEARCH';
          var _S_ISK='Dennis on KPI`;
          var _S_ISR='10`;

          Version 5
          YWATracker.setDocumentGroup("Search");
          YWATracker.setDocumentName("Blog SERP");
          YWATracker.setAction("INTERNAL_SEARCH");
          YWATracker.setISK("Dennis on KPI");
          YWATracker.setISR("10");

          It becomes obvious that both the search phrase and the search result
          number are elements that need to be inflated at runtime. A number of
          reports are provided out of the box, such as the Top Internal Searches
          report.

          once you have the data you can use this a dimensions and metrics in
          the custom report builder and start do MAGIC!

          I hope this helped a bit.

          cheers
          d.

          Dennis R. Mortensen, Director of Data Insights at Yahoo!
          Blog: http://visualrevenue.com/blog
          Book: http://visualrevenue.com/blog/yahoo-analytics-book
          Twitter: http://twitter.com/DennisMortensen

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "simonrigglesworth"
          <simonrigglesworth@...> wrote:

          > Hi there,
          >
          > We're using Yahoo! Analytics across some of the sites we're running at
          > TUI (we got grandfathered from IndexTools). The main site I'm looking
          > to update is http://www.crystalski.co.uk
          >
          > I want to set up some tracking in order to monitor how many times a
          > user runs a search and we don't return any results (sold out etc).
          > Once we're monitoring it we want to be able to see how many visits &
          > visitors we're getting who fall down the black hole! Has anyone else
          > managed to implement something similar using Yahoo Analytics?
          >
          > Thanks in advance!
          >
          > Simon

        • simonrigglesworth
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 4, 2009
            Hey Dennis,

            Thanks very much for getting back to me!

            Yes, the data collection part is what we're wanting to clarify. I'm glad you've highlighted the internal search action - I was going to go down the setting up of a couple of custom actions to collect the data.

            Looking at your suggestion I think I'm going to attempt to do something like the following (FYI - we're on v4):

            var DOCUMENTGROUP='Search';
            var DOCUMENTNAME='Availability Search';
            var ACTION='INTERNAL_SEARCH';
            var _S_ISK='France'; // name of the country the user has searched for
            var _S_ISR='10'; // number of results returned

            I'm guessing that in order to track other search variables (resort name, accommodation, departure point and date), we'd need to get more custom fields added to the internal search group?

            Thanks again for your help.

            Simon.

            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis R. Mortensen" <dennis.mortensen@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > d.
            >
            > Dennis R. Mortensen, Director of Data Insights at Yahoo!
            > Blog: http://visualrevenue.com/blog
            > Book: http://visualrevenue.com/blog/yahoo-analytics-book
            > Twitter: http://twitter.com/DennisMortensen
            >

            > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "simonrigglesworth"
            > <simonrigglesworth@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi there,
            > >
            > > We're using Yahoo! Analytics across some of the sites we're running at
            > > TUI (we got grandfathered from IndexTools). The main site I'm looking
            > > to update is http://www.crystalski.co.uk
            > >
            > > I want to set up some tracking in order to monitor how many times a
            > > user runs a search and we don't return any results (sold out etc).
            > > Once we're monitoring it we want to be able to see how many visits &
            > > visitors we're getting who fall down the black hole! Has anyone else
            > > managed to implement something similar using Yahoo Analytics?

          • Dennis R. Mortensen
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 4, 2009
              Hey Simon,

              >>I'm guessing that in order to track other search variables (resort name,accommodation, departure point and date), we'd need to get more custom fields added to the internal search group?

              YES! :-)

              But they are not assigned to the internal search as such, they are free custom fields (action based, session based, pageview based etc.) - which you can use as dimensions elsewhere as well.

              go have a look at fourseasons.com, as far as I remember, they are on the v4 code and doing exactly this. Might be a good reference for you.

            • simonrigglesworth
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 5, 2009
                Hi Dennis,

                Thanks for that, spec is now over with our developers for implementation (so it should be done in around four months) - I'll report back and let you know how we get on!

                Cheers,

              • simonrigglesworth
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 11, 2009
                  Hi Dennis - just a little update for you

                  Search results tracking went in today. A few teething problems but it appears to be working for the majority of our sites. Of the 3500 searches that have been run today, a not insignificant 409 have returned no results - time to look at our inventory.

                  Next step for us now is to improve on the level of detail we're tracking with a few custom fields to track the search data and also the booking flow data. I've currently got a list of 43 variables I'd like to get set up!

                  Really need to get my head around segmentation and custom reports for some in-depth reporting we want to do.

                  P.S. Book is now on order from Amazon UK.

                  Take care.

                  Si.

                • Dennis R. Mortensen
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 12, 2009
                    Insight already. Thats just beautiful!

                    > Really need to get my head around segmentation and custom reports for some in-depth reporting we want to do.

                    Just let me know if you run into any problems on that.

                    > P.S. Book is now on order from Amazon UK.

                    I LOVE you too! :-)