Hitwise - is traffic comparisons relative between sites

  • jon bovard
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
      Hi there

      I was looking at a Hitwise report that someone ran for me.

      comparing 'MARKET SHARE'

      Basically one site had triple the numbers A - 0.01% versus B - 0.03%
      of the other site.

      I know for a fact that site A has about 2000 visitors a day. Is it
      reasonable to assume that site B has 6000? or is Hitwise's
      "relativity" inaccurate?

      cheers all
      Jon
    • matt_tatham
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 24, 2009
        Hi Jon,

        What was the site? I can look into it for you and have someone contact you to discuss.

        Best,
        Matt

        Hitwise
        Director, Media Relations

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "jon bovard" <jon.bovard@...> wrote:

        > Hi there
        >
        > I was looking at a Hitwise report that someone ran for me.
        >
        > comparing 'MARKET SHARE'
        >
        > Basically one site had triple the numbers A - 0.01% versus B - 0.03%
        > of the other site.
        >
        > I know for a fact that site A has about 2000 visitors a day. Is it
        > reasonable to assume that site B has 6000? or is Hitwise's
        > "relativity" inaccurate?
        >
        > cheers all
        > Jon

      • Gerry
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 25, 2009
          It depends on sites a and b's popularity, Hitwise is panel based which means the higher the numbers the more accurate it is, Hitwise certainly seems to be the most accurate because of the higher numbers, however because of the way they collect data there is a definite sway towards some sites that are promoted by or connected to the ISP, if the sites are completely indpendant of this sort of promotion (i.e. not linked to from the homepage of the Wannadoo portal) and the visits are in in the thousands per day, you will find it is quite accurate.

          (caveate, I have only use the UK version and I haven't used that in 6 months).

          It is a fantastic tool which if we had the budget for would be fantastic at my current workplace.