Skittles.com and the "mash-up site"

  • Michael Wexler
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2009
      Skittles.com has recently gotten some press for making their site into
      a collection of "web 2.0" beauties. If you go to the site, the home
      page is a framed twitter page, the "pics and video" are framed flickr
      and youtube pages, the products listing is a framed wikipedia page,
      etc. They only have 1 page of actual skittles created content, the
      contact us page (they could have pointed the users to
      hotmail/yahoomail/gmail with pre-filled email forms, but I think that
      would have been pushing it a bit...)

      While not entirely original (they aren't the first (see Modernista.com
      and http://adweek.blogs.com/adfreak/2008/04/modernista-site.html, for
      example), but they are the biggest brand name to turn over their site
      to this type of exercise), it raises an interesting questions for web
      analytics.

      What exactly are you tracking when you turn over all in-page behaviors
      to a 3rd party? In this case, the nav is a floating div box, and
      they do have everything framed, so they can track navigation. But
      actions within the frames are lost.

      Instead, to track usage, they will need to try all the "viral"
      tracking techniques: are they getting more followers from this twitter
      trick? Are they getting more mentions?

      As we move towards these integrated sites, where we are now tracking a
      page, actions within the page on our own widgets, and then 3rd party
      widgets (and our widgets on other pages), and then the wholesale
      tossing of our content into the social whirl...

      a) Are our tools ready and able to handle this? Can we assemble best
      of breed to measure it?

      b) Are we, the analysts, ready for this? Have we been playing with
      facebook, introducing others to twitter, learning news from reddit,
      trying friendfeed, etc.? Have we considered what types of measures
      make sense, and how to link the data?

      Just some thoughts on a snowy Monday in the Northeast US.

      Michael