Tracking Offline Advertising

  • Tim Madel
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2009
      We are launching an extensive ad campaign in over 25 publications. Each ad
      will have a call to action directing readers to a site specifically tied to
      the campaign. What is the best method for tracking which magazine performs
      the best?
      We want to maintain the same domain (which eliminates the possibility of
      vanity urls) and need to keep it a simple as possible (which means we want
      avoid URL parameters).

      I was thinking we could use something along the lines of:

      www.domain.com/1
      www.domain.com/2
      www.domain.com/3

      etc.

      Would I then have these point to versions of the landing page with the only
      difference being the page name? Or should I redirect these to the homepage
      and pass along the original URL in a parameter?

      Tim Madel

      757-337-4093

    • Gerry
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2009
        Which analytics package ?

        Its always hard using your approach as unless they feel they are
        getting some benefit by typing in the full url, people often stop at
        the Homepage so if your magazine talks about special offers you can
        use that as part of the url - i.e.

        yourDomain.com/SpecialOffer
        YourDomain.com/BestDeals

        Anyhow, then you can just re-write what is being sent to your
        analytics page - i.e. ga you can include the parameters within a
        virtual page call ...

        You should of course add a metadata noindex so when other people link
        to your special offer, it doesn't show up...

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Tim Madel <tmadel@...> wrote:

        > We are launching an extensive ad campaign in over 25 publications.
        Each ad
        > will have a call to action directing readers to a site specifically
        tied to
        > the campaign. What is the best method for tracking which magazine
        performs
        > the best?
        > We want to maintain the same domain (which eliminates the
        possibility of
        > vanity urls) and need to keep it a simple as possible (which means
        we want
        > avoid URL parameters).
        >
        > I was thinking we could use something along the lines of:
        >
        > www.domain.com/1
        > www.domain.com/2
        > www.domain.com/3
        >
        > etc.
        >
        > Would I then have these point to versions of the landing page with
        the only
        > difference being the page name? Or should I redirect these to the
        homepage
        > and pass along the original URL in a parameter?
        >

        > Tim Madel
        >
        > 757-337-4093

      • Hurol Inan
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2009
          Hi All,

          I am interested in finding out if anyone has (or is currently looking at)
          integrating Omniture's Site Catalyst (and perhaps Test & Target) with
          Unica's Affinium Platform for customer decisioning and real time offer
          presentment? I would be interested in getting in touch if you send me your
          details.

          Cheers

          Hurol Inan

          Bienalto Consulting
          T 02 8356 3001 M 0412 348 361
          13/50 Stanley St East Sydney NSW 2010
          <http://www.bienalto.com/> www.bienalto.com

        • Zakrajsek, Scott
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2009
            Hi Tim,

            We setup server-side redirects to link to the URL + campaign tracking parameters. This allows us to easily track each campaign separately. You can see a live example of this here:

            http://www.victoriassecret.com/pink

            -Scott

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 2, 2009
              As Gerry says, many people will hit < enter > right after .com, although
              since your campaign is print, that phenomenon should not be as high as a
              TV/Radio campaign. Still, it would be a good idea to have mentions of your
              campaign on your Home page.

              Jacques Warren

            • Akin Arikan
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 2, 2009
                About your specific question re home page vs. landing page, wouldn't the answer depend more on targeting and persuasion rather than than web analytics? Namely, if each magazine reaches a slightly different target audience would you benefit from sending traffic to suitable landing pages that address that crowd?

                I can also recommend a good book on the subject 8-)
                http://multichannelmetrics.com/book

                Akin
                Unica