Count traffic to powered sections of partner sites as my traffic?

  • vabeachkevin
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 27, 2009
      Do you count traffic to sites you power content for as your
      visit/visitor? Example, if I go to www.walmart.com I am now walmart's
      visitor. If I go to their classified site, which is powered by
      oodle.com, it is now a subdomain of oodle but still branded as
      walmart. The url is walmart.oodle.com. Should visitors to that site be
      counted as visitors for oodle or for walmart? i am involved in a very
      similar situation, and people here want to count that traffic to the
      powered subdomain (walmart.oodle.com) as traffic to the site powering
      it (oodle.com), but I disagree. The visitor never intended to go to
      oodle, it is branded as walmart and should be counted as walmarts
      visitor. What does everyone think?
    • Tim Madel
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 27, 2009
        I would bet even money that oodle is counting that traffic from Walmart as
        their own and I think they are right.
        You want to be measuring the reach of your content. I would recommend
        segmenting this but definitely including.

        Tim Madel

        757-337-4093

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 27, 2009
          I agree with tracking it, absolutly, but visitors to those pages
          should not be considered visitors to oodle.com, in my opinion.

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Tim Madel <tmadel@...> wrote:

          > I would bet even money that oodle is counting that traffic from
          Walmart as
          > their own and I think they are right.
          > You want to be measuring the reach of your content. I would recommend
          > segmenting this but definitely including.
          >

          > Tim Madel
          >
          > 757-337-4093
          >

          > On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 10:42 AM, vabeachkevin <
          > kevin.rogers@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Do you count traffic to sites you power content for as your
          > > visit/visitor? Example, if I go to www.walmart.com I am now walmart's
          > > visitor. If I go to their classified site, which is powered by
          > > oodle.com, it is now a subdomain of oodle but still branded as
          > > walmart. The url is walmart.oodle.com. Should visitors to that site be
          > > counted as visitors for oodle or for walmart? i am involved in a very
          > > similar situation, and people here want to count that traffic to the
          > > powered subdomain (walmart.oodle.com) as traffic to the site powering
          > > it (oodle.com), but I disagree. The visitor never intended to go to
          > > oodle, it is branded as walmart and should be counted as walmarts
          > > visitor. What does everyone think?

        • Tim Archambault
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 28, 2009
            Many newspaper websites for instance, partner with Yahoo! or Monster for
            their jobs verticals, Cars.com for their car verticals, kaango.com for
            classifieds, etc. In the case the company I work for, we incorporate our
            Omniture tags into all these partner sites and count them as "our traffic."

            --
            Contact me:
            801.592.3131 (cell or sms)

          • Jason Egan
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 28, 2009
              Kevin,

              You could also multi-suite tag the sites so that they are tracked
              separately ad rolledup in different report suites. Of course, that
              would mean reimplementation on both sites (no small task).
              ______________________________________
              Jason Egan
              Twitter: http://twitter.com/jasonegan
              Web Site: http://www.jasonegan.net

              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "vabeachkevin" <kevin.rogers@...>
              wrote:

              > Do you count traffic to sites you power content for as your
              > visit/visitor? Example, if I go to www.walmart.com I am now
              walmart's
              > visitor. If I go to their classified site, which is powered by
              > oodle.com, it is now a subdomain of oodle but still branded as
              > walmart. The url is walmart.oodle.com. Should visitors to that site
              be
              > counted as visitors for oodle or for walmart? i am involved in a
              very
              > similar situation, and people here want to count that traffic to the
              > powered subdomain (walmart.oodle.com) as traffic to the site
              powering
              > it (oodle.com), but I disagree. The visitor never intended to go to
              > oodle, it is branded as walmart and should be counted as walmarts
              > visitor. What does everyone think?

            • Thomas Bosilevac
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 28, 2009
                Great question. This question also comes up in the form of:
                1) My shopping cart is on another site what do I do?
                2) Do I track the Downloads I have on other sites?
                3) What do I count that Video Play event as?

                While the answer may be as easy as "count" or "don't". The problem gets a
                little stickier if you happen to be measuring that with a tag-based
                solution. I also believe that all the social applications and pages on "the
                cloud" will increase this issue.

                In any case, the long-term fix of all this is to create an Enterprise Event
                Model. This company excersize allows you to take an inventory of your
                assets, categorize them, and determine what is being tracked in your web
                analytics applications and what is not. You can find my blog post here:
                http://bosilytics.wordpress.com/2009/02/27/creating_an_analytics_enterprise_eventmodel/

                Cheers!

                On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 7:42 AM, vabeachkevin <
                kevin.rogers@...> wrote:

                > Do you count traffic to sites you power content for as your
                > visit/visitor? Example, if I go to www.walmart.com I am now walmart's
                > visitor. If I go to their classified site, which is powered by
                > oodle.com, it is now a subdomain of oodle but still branded as
                > walmart. The url is walmart.oodle.com. Should visitors to that site be
                > counted as visitors for oodle or for walmart? i am involved in a very
                > similar situation, and people here want to count that traffic to the
                > powered subdomain (walmart.oodle.com) as traffic to the site powering
                > it (oodle.com), but I disagree. The visitor never intended to go to
                > oodle, it is branded as walmart and should be counted as walmarts
                > visitor. What does everyone think?

                --
                --------------------------------------
                Thomas Bosilevac
              • vabeachkevin
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 28, 2009
                  The way I'm looking at it, it is all about intentions. Using the
                  Walmart/Oodle example, the visitor to walmart.com intended to go to
                  walmart.com, not oodle.com. Walmart worked with Oodle to brand that
                  classified's page as being a page of Walmart. They intended it to have
                  the same look and feel as the rest of the Walmart site, not the Oodle
                  site. I thing Walmert gets full credit for this visitor and their
                  visit, and everything associated with it. Oodle should still track
                  that page, but Oodle should not get credit for another visitor to
                  oodle.com, since that was not the visitors intention to visit
                  oodle.com. Oodle should get credit for any associated conversions on
                  that page for it's customers, since those customers signed up with
                  Oodle and just wants the conversion, regardless of where it comes
                  from, but Oodle is the original facilitator of that
                  lead/sale/conversion. If you go full screen in your browser you would
                  never even know you were on a subdomain of Oodle, and you would still
                  think you are on the Walmart domain. That was the intention of each
                  business.

                  I think it is wrong for 2 different sites to claim a sungle unique
                  visitor on a single page. I have a lot of co-workers who think we need
                  to call that our vistor but I feel it will artifically inflate our
                  true visitor numbers to our site. Our marketers do not promote that
                  powered subdomain, so should not get credit for that extra traffic
                  that they want. I think it is just lying to yourself about your true
                  traffic. What say you?

                  Kevin Rogers
                  www.dominionenterprises.com

                  --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Bosilevac <bosilevac@...>

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 1 5:59 AM
                    Kevin,
                    I am leaning towards agreeing that the user should not be counted as a
                    unique visitor on both sites. I also agree with you that oodle should
                    definitely count any conversions that take place and going a step further, I
                    believe they should be able to count the pageviews that occur. Technically
                    the visitor is on oodle's site (albeit branded for Walmart).

                    This could get very complicated because how can you have a conversion or
                    pageviews without a visitor?

                    Tim Madel

                    757-337-4093