Re: [webanalytics] Re: Active segmentation in Hitbox : filter and analysis

  • Hailong XIA
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27, 2009
      Hi Alec, thanks for your reply so complete. And if you like, here are some
      details and some my point of view:

      > > Q1. I'm surprise that all the two segmentations show exactly the same
      > > data, is this normal?
      >
      > It suggests that your visitors only visited once during your time
      > frame or responded to the campaign on every visit. If you've chosen a
      > short time frame or are looking at a product where people will only
      > visit once, then it is not impossible. It sounds unlikely though, so
      > you might want to double check your segments are set up correctly.

      * According to the data I get in each segmentation, there are definitely
      quite a bit visitor did return to the site.
      I have creat another seg where not only the occurence is by "visit" but
      also the seg itself is by "visit", and this time, I see the difference.*

      > > Q2. Could I thus take these "additional" visits as the "common visits"
      > > of campaign A and the other campaigns?
      >
      > What you're seeing is not necessarily additional visits, but visitors
      > who are responding to more than one campaign in their visit. eg users
      > leaving the site and returning through another source later before
      > they time out their visit. You might want to double check that *your
      > 'visit' segment is not set up as a 'visitor' segment* as this is
      > another likely cause. Remember the campaign responses can happen
      > multiple times in a visit.

      *
      Yes, as I described in my first post, all the segs are by "vistor".

      There is one thing I always have doute, why people, and there are often so
      many, returning through the site in a visit by clicking the same banner or
      the same link? -- I would rather take this as fraude clicks. *

      > > Q3. In this case, can I say that these visitors visit the site via
      > > campaign A firstly, and then the return to the site from other
      > > campaign and then converted?
      >
      > In addition to the description above - double check your conversion
      > points.* If I remember correctly you have the option of making your
      > conversion points convert all campaigns (not just the most recent
      > one).* In this case the conversions may convert more than one campaign
      > and the time frame is based on your conversion, not on your campaign
      > response (ie the conversion falls inside the time of your segment, but
      > the original campaign response may not). This is why you may often
      > see campaigns that have long since stopped running still converting.

      *I checked and didn't find this option. Don't you think this because I have
      set the seg as "visitor" seg and thus visits of one visitors could belong to
      two campaigns?
      *

      > > Q4. If I comparing the conversion rate in this segmentation for the
      > > other campaigns and the conversion rate in global profil of these same
      > > campaigns, could I judge something given the volume is big enough?
      >
      > You could probably judge whether your two campaigns are working well
      > alongside each other (ie campaign B responds better if there is
      > campaign A as well). If you can do something about it then it is of
      > benefit (*eg if campaign B is an email campaign and you were only
      > sending to a select audience but could widen if there was ROI there.
      > Or that campaign A was going to be turned off because of a lack of
      > ROI, but it turns out it benefits campaign B enough to be worthwhile
      > so you leave it on*).

      *Quite agree!

      But there is another thing need to be discussed: though the campaign B
      converting well for the visitor of campaign A, but that means the visitor
      visits at least two times the site. Isn't this influence the result? If we
      compare the conversion rate for all the returning visitors of campaign B,
      maybe there is non difference....To test!*