Charity work

  • nevertrustab
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 26, 2009
      Hi,

      I'm a college student and I mostly do SEO/online marketing in
      general...I also have a big interest in web analytics and have been
      hanging out on this group (and Avinash's blog, etc.) for 1-2 years.

      I remember Anil Batra (hope I remember his/your name correctly)
      saying a good way to get a portfolio was to do work for charities
      (hope Im not misquoting or anything).

      Getting a portfolio isn't really a top priority for me right now
      (though it cant hurt, I guess), but Im looking to learn more about
      web analytics while I'm in college and have always been interested in
      charity work..

      So, I've been wondering if I couldn't learn more about web analytics
      by doing some work for charities while I'm still in college.

      Does any of you have an idea how I could go about doing this/if
      there's a need for this kind of work? Ive been thinking that web
      analytics might be more helpful to many charities than SEO (which I
      do mostly) is, because many such websites might not really be able to
      convert traffic from search, whereas all of them probably could be
      helped by improving "conversions" (donations).

      I'd love to hear any input on this. thanks!
    • Gerry
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 27, 2009
        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "nevertrustab" <patriccc@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm a college student and I mostly do SEO/online marketing in
        > general...I also have a big interest in web analytics and have been
        > hanging out on this group (and Avinash's blog, etc.) for 1-2 years.
        >
        > I remember Anil Batra (hope I remember his/your name correctly)
        > saying a good way to get a portfolio was to do work for charities
        > (hope Im not misquoting or anything).
        >
        > Getting a portfolio isn't really a top priority for me right now
        > (though it cant hurt, I guess), but Im looking to learn more about
        > web analytics while I'm in college and have always been interested
        in
        > charity work..
        >
        > So, I've been wondering if I couldn't learn more about web
        analytics
        > by doing some work for charities while I'm still in college.
        >
        > Does any of you have an idea how I could go about doing this/if
        > there's a need for this kind of work? Ive been thinking that web
        > analytics might be more helpful to many charities than SEO (which I
        > do mostly) is, because many such websites might not really be able
        > convert traffic from search, whereas all of them probably could be
        > helped by improving "conversions" (donations).
        >
        > I'd love to hear any input on this. thanks!

        Big charities in the UK the analytics is highly secretive and highly
        competitive, they are (correctly) run like big business, I have
        worked on a couple of them and with the marketing etc.. going on
        behind the scenes they are frequently working hard to ensure that the
        marketing is effective.

        So it may be best to target smaller local charities, and if you talk
        to them about offering a benefits that would go down well.
      • Katherine
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 28, 2009
          I think there would be a variety of nonprofits who could use your
          help, but one of the challenges is that quite a few don't even know
          that they NEED to look at analytics, so you're going to need to be
          good at training them.

          I think there are a few great ways to reach them. On is Nten.org, the
          other is idealist.org. And finally, through LinkedIn. There are a few
          groups that might make sense. Web 2.0 for nonprofits, NTEN, Tech Soup
          - NetSquared.

          Where are you located? I work for a nonprofit in DC that would love
          extra onine marketing help of all sorts. I don't think I could ever
          have enough manpower.

          I hope that helps,

          Katherine Watier
          Director of Online Marketing
          Environmental Working Group
          kwatier@...

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2009
            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Gerry" <dergal@...> wrote:

            > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "nevertrustab" <patriccc@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > I'm a college student and I mostly do SEO/online marketing in
            > > general...I also have a big interest in web analytics and have
            been
            > > hanging out on this group (and Avinash's blog, etc.) for 1-2
            years.

            > > I remember Anil Batra (hope I remember his/your name correctly)
            > > saying a good way to get a portfolio was to do work for charities
            > > (hope Im not misquoting or anything).
            > >
            > > Getting a portfolio isn't really a top priority for me right now
            > > (though it cant hurt, I guess), but Im looking to learn more
            about
            > > web analytics while I'm in college and have always been
            interested
            > in
            > > charity work..
            > >
            > > So, I've been wondering if I couldn't learn more about web
            > analytics
            > > by doing some work for charities while I'm still in college.
            > >
            > > Does any of you have an idea how I could go about doing this/if
            > > there's a need for this kind of work? Ive been thinking that web
            > > analytics might be more helpful to many charities than SEO (which
            > > do mostly) is, because many such websites might not really be
            able
            > > convert traffic from search, whereas all of them probably could
            be
            > > helped by improving "conversions" (donations).
            > >
            > > I'd love to hear any input on this. thanks!
            > >

            > Big charities in the UK the analytics is highly secretive and
            highly
            > competitive, they are (correctly) run like big business, I have
            > worked on a couple of them and with the marketing etc.. going on
            > behind the scenes they are frequently working hard to ensure that
            the
            > marketing is effective.
            >
            > So it may be best to target smaller local charities, and if you
            talk
            > to them about offering a benefits that would go down well.

            Hi, thanks for the useful information. Actually that's a good thing!
            I think I should contact some of the bigger charities and ask them
            what has worked for them to increase donations (I *think* I see a lot
            of basic usability mistakes on many (smaller) charity websites for
            example). Or websites that put the URL as the title element of every
            page (thus obviously no SEO, and fixing the title tag can have an
            impact at virtually no cost).

            You don't happen to still be in contact with somebody doing web
            analytics who might have tracked what worked and what didn't work for
            such charities that could pass that kind of information/hints on to
            you/me, so I could use it in the future when (hopefully) working on
            charity sites?

            Or would the difference between big or small charity sites be too big
            to draw any kind of conclusions from it (I'm still thinking "test
            it!", but it would make it easier to know what to test for if
            something has worked well across the board on other donation pages
            before).
          • nevertrustab
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2009
              Oh, I just read you said they were highly secretive and highly
              competitive....so it might not be easy to get that kind of
              information, Im afraid?;( Why would a charity be secretive and
              competitive, though? What's the use in outranking other charity
              sites? I guess it's not exclusively about the good cause then..or
              they assume they're doing a better job than smaller charity
              organizations who might waste too much opportunity?

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 1, 2009
                I'm located in Germany..so a little bit far, I guess lol...I also
                have quite a few personal problems that I still need to solve so I
                probably wont be able to start doing anything like that in a serious
                way during the next 6 months or so..

                Ive contacted two websites already who I think were making a big
                mistake usability and SEO wise (making the donation process
                unnecessarily difficult, and one which used the URL as the title
                element of each page (big SEO mistake, that can be fixed rather
                easily)).

                What kind of non-profit do you work for, though, if you dont mind me
                asking? just curious..:-)