Broken Analytics if Google Switches to AJAX Search

  • jvmoradi
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2009
      GetClicky and Smackdown blog have both posted on Google's experiment
      with Ajax-powered search results and how the current form results in
      keyword strings being stripped from the referral URL

      http://getclicky.com/blog/150/googles-new-ajax-powered-search-results-breaks-search-keyword-tracking-for-everyone

      http://smackdown.blogsblogsblogs.com/2009/02/02/what-will-really-break-if-google-switches-to-ajax/

      Google hasn't yet put forth any plans to scale this in its present
      form, so much of this concern may be overblown
    • nethab1
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2009
        This is very interesting. Since hash "anchors" aren't passed in the
        http referrer, Analytics tools (including log file based tools) won't
        be able to see what the referring keywords are.

        On the plus side, I seriously doubt this is a "malicious" attempt to
        get everyone to use Google Analytics (in fact I doubt the GA team even
        knows that this test is going on, much less given themselves special
        access to the keyword data).

        That being said, I only see two choices here A) Google keeps the
        keyword in the query string or B) Browsers start passing #anchors in
        their referrer.

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "jvmoradi"

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 4, 2009
          Nethab,

          I agree with you completely and I'm guessing Google will opt for A,
          putting keywords back in the QS. It sounds like they're testing this
          to see if it has legs.

          There is no big conspiracy to get people to switch to GA, but I did
          think the Smackdown article in particular was well-written and
          well-documented.

          Above all, if Google stripped keywords from referral URLs, they're
          going to prevent proper measurement of paid search (in addition to
          organic) which undermines Adwords. The reason paid search is
          everyone's darling is precisely because it's the most quantifiable
          form of advertising anywhere. I guarantee that no one at Google is
          letting anyone mess with its breadwinner.