How widely used in Piwik?

  • Kevin McDonald
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2009
      I noticed on the Piwik.org site that their open source alternative to GA
      (their words not mine) is being downloaded 100 times a day.

      1) I'm curious, who is using Piwik <http://piwik.org> and for what
      applications...? Specifically, I'm wondering if this project is finding
      traction on internal websites or public ones.

      2) It would be great if the the Vendor Discovery tool on WA Demystified and
      WASP could identify the sites tagged with Piwik. (hint hint - or is this
      not yet a rounding error in terms of market share?)

      3) Anybody have any experiences to share about their use cases and the tools
      abilities?

      Thank you,

      Kevin McDonald
      http://renditionx.com
      Twitter i001962

    • julien.coquet
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2009
        it's actually pretty popular in its earlier incarnation
        (phpMyVisites), especially in France

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Kevin McDonald
        <kevin.mcdonald@...> wrote:

        > I noticed on the Piwik.org site that their open source alternative
        to GA
        > (their words not mine) is being downloaded 100 times a day.
        >
        > 1) I'm curious, who is using Piwik <http://piwik.org> and for what
        > applications...? Specifically, I'm wondering if this project is
        finding
        > traction on internal websites or public ones.
        >
        > 2) It would be great if the the Vendor Discovery tool on WA
        Demystified and
        > WASP could identify the sites tagged with Piwik. (hint hint - or is
        this
        > not yet a rounding error in terms of market share?)
        >
        > 3) Anybody have any experiences to share about their use cases and
        the tools
        > abilities?
        >
        > Thank you,
        >
        > Kevin McDonald
        > http://renditionx.com
        > Twitter i001962

      • Stephane Hamel
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2009
          Hi Kevin,
          1) of course, it's not very widely used and I don't really know much
          about this tool. WASP stats shows me 200 identified sites using Piwik
          (out of 161,000 websites using web analytics)
          2) Piwik has changed their tagging. Older versions of Piwik are
          already identified by WASP and I just made the fix so the next release
          see it correctly.
          3) no experience with Piwik, but looks interesting!

          St├ęphane Hamel
          Web Analytics Advocate!
          http://immeria.net

          <kevin.mcdonald@...> wrote:

          > I noticed on the Piwik.org site that their open source alternative to GA
          > (their words not mine) is being downloaded 100 times a day.
          >
          > 1) I'm curious, who is using Piwik <http://piwik.org> and for what
          > applications...? Specifically, I'm wondering if this project is finding
          > traction on internal websites or public ones.
          >
          > 2) It would be great if the the Vendor Discovery tool on WA
          Demystified and
          > WASP could identify the sites tagged with Piwik. (hint hint - or is
          this
          > not yet a rounding error in terms of market share?)
          >
          > 3) Anybody have any experiences to share about their use cases and
          the tools
          > abilities?
          >
          > Thank you,
          >
          > Kevin McDonald
          > http://renditionx.com
          > Twitter i001962

        • Kevin Mcdonald
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2009
            Stephane, thanks for sharing the stats.
            That's what I was looking for.

            piwik looks like an interesting choice for internal sites or as a lite
            weight oem for startups that want to 'own' and/or share site usage data.

            It will be interesting to see the stats change quarter over quatrer.

            Kevin
            Sent from my mobile device which at times suggests strange words in
            place of those I intended to type.

            On Feb 1, 2009, at 6:16 AM, "Stephane Hamel" <shamel67@...> wrote:

            > Hi Kevin,
            > 1) of course, it's not very widely used and I don't really know much
            > about this tool. WASP stats shows me 200 identified sites using Piwik
            > (out of 161,000 websites using web analytics)
            > 2) Piwik has changed their tagging. Older versions of Piwik are
            > already identified by WASP and I just made the fix so the next release
            > see it correctly.
            > 3) no experience with Piwik, but looks interesting!
            >
            > St├ęphane Hamel
            > Web Analytics Advocate!
            > http://immeria.net
            >
            > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Kevin McDonald
            > <kevin.mcdonald@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I noticed on the Piwik.org site that their open source alternative
            > to GA
            > > (their words not mine) is being downloaded 100 times a day.
            > >
            > > 1) I'm curious, who is using Piwik <http://piwik.org> and for what
            > > applications...? Specifically, I'm wondering if this project is
            > finding
            > > traction on internal websites or public ones.
            > >
            > > 2) It would be great if the the Vendor Discovery tool on WA
            > Demystified and
            > > WASP could identify the sites tagged with Piwik. (hint hint - or is
            > this
            > > not yet a rounding error in terms of market share?)
            > >
            > > 3) Anybody have any experiences to share about their use cases and
            > the tools
            > > abilities?
            > >
            > > Thank you,
            > >
            > > Kevin McDonald
            > > http://renditionx.com
            > > Twitter i001962

          • wwittur
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 2, 2009
              Hi Kevin,

              First, I'll remind the group that I'm not an analytics professional,
              but a generalist, so some of my comments / feedback may not seem as
              technical as you might like.

              Second, I loved the idea of using a server-side tracking program that
              was open source and that I could potentially integrate with something
              like OpenX for a comprehensive tracking package for clients.

              We tested Piwik with a couple of clients and found that the
              limitations were too dear to push on a broader basis. We found that
              the product was very limited with respect to ecommerce tracking
              (goals, conversions, etc) and conversion reporting, particularly with
              respect to integration with specific keywords or landing pages.

              That said, we're still keen on seeing this product evolve/improve.
              There is an inherent appeal to keeping data confidential and in the
              hands of the client instead of a service provider (eg. Google or
              Yahoo) so we strongly encourage the folks with Piwik to persist!

              Cheers,
              Bill.

              Bill Wittur
              Managing Director
              Bottree Digital Services
              Read my blog: www.bottree.com/blog
              bill@...

              <kevin.mcdonald@...> wrote:

              > I noticed on the Piwik.org site that their open source alternative to GA
              > (their words not mine) is being downloaded 100 times a day.
              >
              > 1) I'm curious, who is using Piwik <http://piwik.org> and for what
              > applications...? Specifically, I'm wondering if this project is finding
              > traction on internal websites or public ones.
              >
              > 2) It would be great if the the Vendor Discovery tool on WA
              Demystified and
              > WASP could identify the sites tagged with Piwik. (hint hint - or is
              this
              > not yet a rounding error in terms of market share?)
              >
              > 3) Anybody have any experiences to share about their use cases and
              the tools
              > abilities?
              >
              > Thank you,
              >
              > Kevin McDonald
              > http://renditionx.com
              > Twitter i001962

            • Akshay R.
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 3, 2009
                Hi Kevin,

                Although I've not used PiWik in a production environment, we did do a
                comparison of PiWik v/s GA. I've put in the findings at blog:
                http://groupmagnet.blogspot.com/2009/01/piwik-vs-google-analytics.html.

                Our main concern with this tool was the increased learning curve and a
                technology challenge. For example, we were working in a pure Java/J2EE
                environment. However, PiWik demands PHP-Apache. Due to complexity of
                hosting multiple technologies, this option was rejected.

                Hope it helps.

                Regards,
                Akshay
                <kevin.mcdonald@...> wrote:

                > I noticed on the Piwik.org site that their open source alternative to GA
                > (their words not mine) is being downloaded 100 times a day.
                >
                > 1) I'm curious, who is using Piwik <http://piwik.org> and for what
                > applications...? Specifically, I'm wondering if this project is finding
                > traction on internal websites or public ones.
                >
                > 2) It would be great if the the Vendor Discovery tool on WA
                Demystified and
                > WASP could identify the sites tagged with Piwik. (hint hint - or is
                this
                > not yet a rounding error in terms of market share?)
                >
                > 3) Anybody have any experiences to share about their use cases and
                the tools
                > abilities?
                >
                > Thank you,
                >
                > Kevin McDonald
                > http://renditionx.com
                > Twitter i001962

              • Kevin Mcdonald
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 4, 2009
                  Fantastic. Thank you.

                  Sent from my mobile device.

                  On Feb 3, 2009, at 6:39 PM, "Akshay R." <akshay_r13@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Kevin,
                  >
                  > Although I've not used PiWik in a production environment, we did do a
                  > comparison of PiWik v/s GA. I've put in the findings at blog:
                  > http://groupmagnet.blogspot.com/2009/01/piwik-vs-google-
                  > analytics.html.
                  >
                  > Our main concern with this tool was the increased learning curve and a
                  > technology challenge. For example, we were working in a pure Java/J2EE
                  > environment. However, PiWik demands PHP-Apache. Due to complexity of
                  > hosting multiple technologies, this option was rejected.
                  >
                  > Hope it helps.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Akshay
                  > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Kevin McDonald
                  > <kevin.mcdonald@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I noticed on the Piwik.org site that their open source alternative
                  > to GA
                  > > (their words not mine) is being downloaded 100 times a day.
                  > >
                  > > 1) I'm curious, who is using Piwik <http://piwik.org> and for what
                  > > applications...? Specifically, I'm wondering if this project is
                  > finding
                  > > traction on internal websites or public ones.
                  > >
                  > > 2) It would be great if the the Vendor Discovery tool on WA
                  > Demystified and
                  > > WASP could identify the sites tagged with Piwik. (hint hint - or is
                  > this
                  > > not yet a rounding error in terms of market share?)
                  > >
                  > > 3) Anybody have any experiences to share about their use cases and
                  > the tools
                  > > abilities?
                  > >
                  > > Thank you,
                  > >
                  > > Kevin McDonald
                  > > http://renditionx.com
                  > > Twitter i001962

                • Leticia Colon
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 4, 2009
                    Hi

                    I actually just created a PbWiki for laid off job seekers -
                    https://getmeajobtoday.pbwiki.com

                    (If you are laid off or a recruiter - check it out and let me know what you
                    think.)

                    Strengths:
                    1. Easy To Use
                    2. Good options for the free version
                    3. Users have no difficulty using it

                    Weaknesses:
                    1. I have not found an analytics dashboard but perhaps it is due to the fact
                    I am using the free version.

                    Also, if you want to create an online collaborative community, PbWiki is
                    great.

                    Though, if you are planning to expand it, which I am, I recommend using
                    PbWiki as a launching/starting pad and then incorporating it with a
                    larger CMS platform, like Joomla.

                    **A Call out for Joomla and UI experts - shoot me an email**

                    Leticia
                    LColon@...

                    On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Kevin Mcdonald <
                    kevin.mcdonald@...> wrote:

                    > Fantastic. Thank you.
                    >
                    > Sent from my mobile device.
                    >

                    > On Feb 3, 2009, at 6:39 PM, "Akshay R." <akshay_r13@...<akshay_r13%40yahoo.co.in>>
                    > wrote:
                    >
                    > > Hi Kevin,
                    > >
                    > > Although I've not used PiWik in a production environment, we did do a
                    > > comparison of PiWik v/s GA. I've put in the findings at blog:
                    > > http://groupmagnet.blogspot.com/2009/01/piwik-vs-google-
                    > > analytics.html.
                    > >
                    > > Our main concern with this tool was the increased learning curve and a
                    > > technology challenge. For example, we were working in a pure Java/J2EE
                    > > environment. However, PiWik demands PHP-Apache. Due to complexity of
                    > > hosting multiple technologies, this option was rejected.
                    > >
                    > > Hope it helps.
                    > >
                    > > Regards,
                    > > Akshay
                    > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>,
                    > Kevin McDonald
                    > > <kevin.mcdonald@...> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I noticed on the Piwik.org site that their open source alternative
                    > > to GA
                    > > > (their words not mine) is being downloaded 100 times a day.
                    > > >
                    > > > 1) I'm curious, who is using Piwik <http://piwik.org> and for what
                    > > > applications...? Specifically, I'm wondering if this project is
                    > > finding
                    > > > traction on internal websites or public ones.
                    > > >
                    > > > 2) It would be great if the the Vendor Discovery tool on WA
                    > > Demystified and
                    > > > WASP could identify the sites tagged with Piwik. (hint hint - or is
                    > > this
                    > > > not yet a rounding error in terms of market share?)
                    > > >
                    > > > 3) Anybody have any experiences to share about their use cases and
                    > > the tools
                    > > > abilities?
                    > > >
                    > > > Thank you,
                    > > >
                    > > > Kevin McDonald
                    > > > http://renditionx.com
                    > > > Twitter i001962

                    Creed of Destiny- Thoughts leads to Words, Words, lead to Actions, Actions
                    lead to Character, and Character leads to Destiny.