Ghostery, a Firefox Plugin to show "Web Bugs"

  • Michael Wexler
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2008
      http://davidcancel.com/2008/12/31/announcing-ghostery/

      You may have tried WASP (http://webanalyticssolutionprofiler.com/) the
      Web Analytic Solutions Profiler, a very nice tool for checking your
      pages (and others) for Web Analytic tracking codes.

      And you may have heard of Ghostery before; it's been bouncing around
      Reddit and YCombinator for a few weeks now. Well, it's finally
      "officially" out.

      Read the post, read the commentary by others, and get it at
      http://www.ghostery.com/.

      When you compare them, it becomes clear that WASP is written to help
      web analysts, while Ghost is a bit less, well, positive for the
      industry. The Ghostery team focuses on "transparency", and say that
      they aren't against the bugs, they just want people to know they are
      there. Ghostery tracks more ad networks then WASP, for example.

      The fellow behind this, David Cancel, is a long time ad-network and
      tracking fellow. He was CTO at Compete and Buyerzone and was most
      recently running an ad network focused on demographic targeting for
      network inventory called Lookery which recently sold to AdKnowledge.

      I can't say any of these tools are a bad thing, anymore than I can say
      that it's bad that Norton Internet Security keeps complaining about
      the "threat" of tracking cookies in my browser.

      But I do wonder when the BT, WA, and other data-centric industries
      will get together to help consumers focus on the benefits of an opt
      out cookie system (things like having your settings stay around on
      your favorite sites automatically, etc.) instead of having folks make
      tools to "reveal the invisible web tracking your every move" and
      causing yet another round of FUD.

      Anyway, give both WASP and Ghostery a try, they are both fascinating
      tools.

      Happy new year,

      Michael