Recommendations: real time, robust, low-cost basic site stats

  • Ian Tester
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 9, 2008
      Hi All,

      Hope you can help me with some recommendations here. I'm currently working on the launch of a site that will have an astonishing amount of traffic at launch (think several million visitors on first day, happy days) and need to find a low- to no-cost way of monitoring the traffic (visits, PIs, visitors, location) as close to real time as possible (no more than 20 mins delay realistically).

      GA isn't real time but is robust enough, Yahoo! Analytics looks ideal but won't let me use it yet (grrrr!), and the logfile based packages such as AWstats don't let me refine reporting periods - they just stack up aggregate data rather than giving me an hourly view.

      Are there any low cost solutions out there (using either client- or server-side methodologies) that are robust enough to give me hourly updates on a site that is taking. We're not averse to spending for the right solution, but we're not going to install Webtrends or Omniture!

      Any suggestions welcomed - please limit direct solitiations to email ;-)

      Greetings form the UK,

      Ian Tester

      2 Wilsley Green Cottages, Wilsley Green, Cranbrook, Kent, TN17 2LG , UK
      Phone: 01580 720734 Mobile: 07864 288335 Email: hello@...

    • Paul Holstein
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 9, 2008
        If you've got the resources to get several million visitors on your
        first day, then you can probably write your own simple analytics
        code. Why not write a simple script to populate a mySQL file on your
        server? That way you can get real time reporting for the few metrics
        you have to have.

        Then you could also supplement that with GA that wouldn't be real
        time, but would give you the rest of the stats you need.

        --Paul

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Ian Tester <iandavidtester@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > Hope you can help me with some recommendations here. I'm currently
        working on the launch of a site that will have an astonishing amount
        of traffic at launch (think several million visitors on first day,
        happy days) and need to find a low- to no-cost way of monitoring the
        traffic (visits, PIs, visitors, location) as close to real time as
        possible (no more than 20 mins delay realistically).

        > GA isn't real time but is robust enough, Yahoo! Analytics looks
        ideal but won't let me use it yet (grrrr!), and the logfile based
        packages such as AWstats don't let me refine reporting periods - they
        just stack up aggregate data rather than giving me an hourly view.

        > Are there any low cost solutions out there (using either client- or
        server-side methodologies) that are robust enough to give me hourly
        updates on a site that is taking. We're not averse to spending for
        the right solution, but we're not going to install Webtrends or
        Omniture!

        > Any suggestions welcomed - please limit direct solitiations to
        email ;-)

        > Greetings form the UK,
        >

        > Ian Tester
        >
        > 2 Wilsley Green Cottages, Wilsley Green, Cranbrook, Kent, TN17
        2LG , UK
        > Phone: 01580 720734 Mobile: 07864 288335 Email: hello@...

      • Steve McInerney
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 9, 2008
          On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 11:57 PM, Ian Tester <iandavidtester@...> wrote:
          > won't let me use it yet (grrrr!), and the logfile based packages such as
          > AWstats don't let me refine reporting periods - they just stack up aggregate
          > data rather than giving me an hourly view.

          Well sorta.
          Just feed them hourly only data and get that written into hourly
          specific directories.
          That's a trivial filter script to add in front of the job that runs them.

          Problem solved.

          It's not perfect, but it's easy to write, and a trivial scripted front
          end could make pulling the data into a single page pretty easy too.

          ???

          Cheers!
          - Steve