Re: [webanalytics] GA - Zero visits for campaign record in report

  • Anil Batra
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2008
      Here is a blog post that I wrote on why some keywords show 0 visits, your
      issue sounds similar in nature.

      http://webanalysis.blogspot.com/2008/04/google-analytics-tips-and-tricks-why-do.html

      On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 7:38 AM, Peter Kristof <pete.kristof@...>wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > I have a question about how GA processes data. I was testing a campaign
      > parameter, for example:
      >
      > www.site.com/?utm_campaign=test
      >
      > When I went into the report for that day, I saw the campaign 'test' in the
      > report, but it has 'zero' visits. I checked the following day in case it
      > just wasn't processed yet, but still no visits (or other metrics for that
      > matter). It's now been a week and I still see that 'test' campaign showing
      > up in the report but the metrics, such as visits, are zeros across the
      > board. I even completed goals during that visit, but don't see anything
      > showing up for the metrics.
      >
      > Why does this happen? Please help!
      >
      > Thanks

      Anil Batra
      http://www.AnilBatra.com
      Blog: http://webanalysis.blogspot.com
      Web Analytics, Behavioral Targeting and Online Advertising Blog
      Web Analytics, SEM and Online Advertising Jobs at
      http://webanalysis.jobamatic.com/a/jbb/find-jobs

    • nethab1
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2008
        When dealing with utm_* tags, utm_source is required, though it's the
        only required field, you can skip the utm_medium and/or utm_campaign,
        etc, but not utm_source.

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Kristof"
        <pete.kristof@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I have a question about how GA processes data. I was testing a campaign
        > parameter, for example:
        >
        > www.site.com/?utm_campaign=test
        >
        > When I went into the report for that day, I saw the campaign 'test'
        in the
        > report, but it has 'zero' visits. I checked the following day in
        case it
        > just wasn't processed yet, but still no visits (or other metrics for
        that
        > matter). It's now been a week and I still see that 'test' campaign
        showing
        > up in the report but the metrics, such as visits, are zeros across the
        > board. I even completed goals during that visit, but don't see anything
        > showing up for the metrics.
        >
        > Why does this happen? Please help!
        >
        > Thanks

      • Peter Kristof
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2008
          I forgot to mention that I did use all the variables, not just utm_campaign,
          so I populated all the other variables with test* as well, and in all the
          reports, the test* record shows up, but with 0 visits.

          Re: GA - Zero visits for campaign record in
          report<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/webanalytics/message/20367;_ylc=X3oDMTJzMWJiMG81BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzEyOTc5MTQxBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNTU4MgRtc2dJZAMyMDM2NwRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMjI4MzA2NzQ2>Posted
          by: "nethab1" nethab1@...
          <nethab1@...?Subject=+Re%3A%20GA%20-%20Zero%20visits%20for%20campaign%20record%20in%20report>
          nethab1 <http://profiles.yahoo.com/nethab1>Tue Dec 2, 2008 9:15 pm (PST)When
          dealing with utm_* tags, utm_source is required, though it's the
          only required field, you can skip the utm_medium and/or utm_campaign,
          etc, but not utm_source.

        • sidneysong
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 30, 2008
            I met same thing like you when I did same test as you did. Confused
            me a lot. I don't think it's possible having a visit "0" in the
            report. Why not ask Google's service and give us an answer on that?