Nielsen issues

  • adamjenkins79
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2008
      I believe that Nielsen is not capturing data for the largest and
      fastest growing segment of web users (18-34).

      1.The reruitment methods do not target this demographic. They use
      Random Digit Dial to recruit members of the panel. This does not work
      because most people in the 18-34 demo do not have home phones.
      2. Direct mail is out as most people in this demo move frequently.

      I believe this is the reason that many of us are seeing data which
      does not correlate to actual events in the cycle. (Media cycle). For
      instance when the nominating conventions took place in Aug and Sept we
      saw spikes in traffic which correlated to the overall interest of
      subject such as Sarah Palin and Joe Biden. Our trafic volumes
      increased as we own a large political site. Nielsen did not reflect
      this at all in fact it showed our visitors decreasing.

      As the only market share comparison tool for Media companies this is a
      problem.

      Does anyone have insight?