Re: Bounce Rate for Referring Domains and keywords in SiteCatalyst?

  • Mike Sukmanowsky
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 5, 2008
      No question in web analytics is a stupid one! :)

      I actually think there might be a few problems with what Omniture has
      recommended in this case. If you use getValOnce to capture the
      referring URL and put it in a prop you'll be in trouble on the very

      Say I'm using prop1 to store the referrer information and I come in to
      a site from a referring URL of say:
      http://www.google.ca/search?q=obama. On the first page view of the
      site (say http://www.thesite.com/), prop1 would be set correctly to
      "http://www.google.ca/search?q=obama".

      However, if I head over to another page (say
      http://www.thesite.com/aboutus.html), the referrer of this page is
      actually http://www.thesite.com/. The getValOnce plugin will
      effectively overwrite what it sees in the prop if the new value you
      provide is different from the current one in the prop. So in your
      prop report your bounce rate for the entry
      "http://www.google.ca/search?q=obama" would be accurate, but you'll
      have tons of other entries in the same report like
      "http://www.thesite.com/" in this example.

      Ideally speaking, on the first page view of the visit you capture the
      referring URL and throw it in a prop but on the second page of the
      visit you set the value of the prop to something like "Ignore". This
      way you still get valid bounce rates for your referring URLs but don't
      have all the clutter and can quickly do a filter to get the garbage
      out of the way.

      Also, if all you're interested in is just a search keyword than you
      may want to look into a VISTA rule that pulls this out - but you might
      run into trouble here too (just an early warning) :).

      Best of luck!
      Mike
      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "chrilleswybrandt"