Re: Omniture Vs Coremtrics

  • e_magill
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2008
      Hi Ritu,

      To answer your additional questions:

      1) yes, from IP we are able to map fields like subdomain (company
      name), country, city, state, DMA, etc.

      2) click stream data retention. Theoretically we can store data
      indefinitely, but most clients opt for a significantly shorter time
      period.

      Elizabeth

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Ritu Sidana" <ritusidana@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Elizabeth
      >
      > I think you have been able to give a comprehensive explainations
      for some of
      > the featurs of Coremetrics. I however, have some doubts on two
      points:

      > *IP address:*
      > you have mentioned Coremetrics captures IP related infomation. what
      kind of
      > information does it provide?Does that include companay's name also,
      i.e if a
      > visitor has come from a particular organization in a particular
      geography?

      > *Click stream Data retention:*
      > If It's client configurable, then what is maximum time duration for
      which
      > data can be stored?
      >
      > Thanks and Regards
      > Ritu
      > ritusidana@...
      > On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 9:41 PM, e_magill <emagill@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I will go ahead and repeat my response to this post that was
      pulled
      > > back up. There are a number of inaccuracies in it. Let me know if
      you
      > > have any other questions!
      > >
      > > -----
      > >
      > > Just hopping in to clarify a couple of points:
      > >
      > > Real time and alerts. Coremetrics does offer real time data
      through a
      > > monitor that pushes out data, keeping users always up to date.
      Many
      > > reports are updated intra-day, and some—as pointed out—are updated
      > > once a day so that we can de-dupe unique visitors, which other
      > > vendors don't do. Moreover, Coremetrics does offer alerts.
      > >
      > > Categorizations/classifications. For online shopping it is
      important
      > > to understand both how and where on a site someone is shopping.
      > > That's why we built our solution from the ground up to track both
      of
      > > these elements. What you describe as a static hierarchy is really
      our
      > > best practice report, but there is no limit on the extent to which
      > > the merchandising hierarchy can be expanded. Please note that the
      14-
      > > day limit you mention is customer configurable. And finally, we do
      > > offer dynamic categorization based on any product attribute users
      can
      > > think of.
      > >
      > > Unique Variables. Coremetrics offers the ability to track these
      types
      > > of product attributes, as well as page attributes, search
      attributes,
      > > navigation attributes—pretty much any type of meta data you want
      > > report on. We not only provide a way to report on these
      attributes,
      > > but also allow users to cross-correlate them for relational
      analysis
      > > on the fly. Users can create a limitless number of segments or
      > > personas based on these attributes. Since we do not charge by the
      > > seat, clients can have as many people in their organization
      report on
      > > attributes as needed, without additional cost.
      > >
      > > Info not tied to the page tag. We also enable customers to import
      > > external data such as margin and inventory through a standardized
      > > import templates. Not only can users report on this data, they can
      > > create automated offers based on this type of imported
      information.

      > > Campaign tracking. Coremetrics tracking parameters behave in much
      the
      > > same way. Moreover, since the data warehouse is standard for our
      > > solution, we store much more of this information for later use, to
      > > understand, for instance, the role that email played in the
      customers
      > > lifecycle.
      > >
      > > Geography. We also capture IP-driven information based on the
      Quova
      > > technology. And, as noted, customers can capture data input by the
      > > visitor. You can then segment on both this type of geographic data
      > > which can lead to some interesting analysis about where people
      > > actually are vs. where they say they are. In addition we capture
      > > second level domains for reporting and segmenting purposes.
      > >
      > > Storage of clickstream data. The 90-day storage limit you mention
      is
      > > client configurable. We have clients storing data for periods
      longer
      > > than 90 days.
      > >
      > > Third Party Integrations. Coremetrics Connect is provides an
      > > integration platform that is similar to Genesis. But because we
      have
      > > structured tags, we capture data consistently, meaning that once a
      > > partner has integrated with us, they have a template for any
      > > Coremetrics client. We integrate with a similar group of third
      > > parties, although our Connect partners are all technology
      vendors; we
      > > view these integrations differently from the type of relationships
      > > one would have with consulting firms and agencies.
      > >
      > > Elizabeth Magill
      > > Sr. Product Marketing Manager
      > > Coremetrics
      > >
      > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <webanalytics%
      40yahoogroups.com>,
      > > "Dave and Kathleen Barber"
      > > <barbers@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Dave here...
      > > >
      > > > There was a really good post in response to this question back
      in
      > > June....
      > > >
      > > > My disclaimer is that I only have hands-on experience with
      > > Coremetrics, but
      > > > I have seen a few product demos from Omniture as well as read
      > > various case
      > > > studies on their Sitecatalyst and Discover products. I think
      your
      > > best bet
      > > > will be to ask Coremetrics to give you references of clients
      that
      > > recently
      > > > moved from Omniture, and likewise ask Omniture to speak to
      clients
      > > who have
      > > > recently departed Coremetrics. I'm also personally interested to
      > > hear from
      > > > folks who have used both tools extensively on the client-side.
      I've
> [...]
      > > > static hierarchy based on the time when the action was
      completed.
      > > If back
      > > > processing is needed, they can only go back 14 days.
      > > >
      > > > -Segment reports and clickstream paths tend to run slow in
      > > Coremetrics.
      > > > This may be an issue that our site traffic is so large, I've
      spoken
      > > > smaller Core clients that get very quick turnaround on their
      custom
      > > reports.
      > > >
      > > > -Omniture's segmentation tool is very powerful (Discover).
      > > Coremetrics has
      > > > a similar new product (Explore) but has only been available
      since
      > > the
      > > > beginning of 2008 I believe. We have not yet tested this in-
      house...

      > > > -Omniture Excel plug-in is EXTREMELY robust and can be setup to
      > > automate
      > > > reporting. This would free up report generation time for
      analysts
      > > and
      > > > cut-down on human-error. Coremetrics excel plugin is very poor
      in
      > > > comparison.
      > > >
      > > > Additional Segmentation Capabilities
      > > >
      > > > -I believe Omniture allows you to provide up to 15 unique
      variables
      > > captured
      > > > for a single page or product. Coremetrics only offers a few and
      > > requires
      > > > additional fees to add "custom variables". This would allow a
      > > retailer to
      > > > segment products based on SKU, color, size, season, media code,
      > > > manufacturer, backorder status, etc.
      > > >
      > > > -Information that is not captured on the page can be tied
      together
      > > through a
      > > > data feed to Omniture. Examples include:
      > > >
      > > > -Product Class Hierarchy
      > > > -ManufacturerCountry of Origin
      > > > -Estimated Margin
      > > > -Returns/Exchange Data can be linked to live web data.
      > > > -Inventory Data
      > > >
      > > > -Omniture has the ability to tie in up to 15 custom variables
      for
      > > each of
      > > > our campaigns (ie: email, paid search) through data feeds. Take
      > > email for
      > > > example, With this ability there is ability to segment emails
      based
      > > on:
      > > >
      > > > -Subject Length
      > > > -Feature Picture Category
      > > > -Banner Category
      > > > -Offer Type
      > > > -Day of Week
      > > >
      > > > **Then with the Genesis tool (additional cost on top of SC I
      think)
      > > listed
      > > > below segments can be created and data pushed back to an
      external
      > > vendor
      > > > (ie: email). Coremetrics has a similar product called Livemail.
      We
      > > have
      > > > had trouble implementing Livemail with our current email vendor.
      > > >
      > > > -Geographic Segmentation including city, state, country, region.
      > > Core can
      > > > capture this data too (state, city, etc) but I believe Omniture
      > > uses a third
      > > > party company that tracks ip address.
      > > >
      > > > Data Retention
      > > > -Omniture Clickstream data is retained for 36 months. While
      > > Coremetrics
      > > > keeps summarized reports and aggregate data forever, clickstream
      > > data is
      > > > only available for 90 days prior. Allows for detailed recency
      and
      > > frequency
      > > > profiling of browsing behavior.
      > > >
      > > > 3rd Party Integration
      > > > Coremetrics needs a custom solution for most vendor
      integrations.
      > > Through
      > > > Omniture's Genesis tool one can seamlessly pull third party data
      > > into the
      > > > SiteCatalyst interface (120+ vendors currently available). They
      > > claim its as
      > > > easy as drag-n-drop...Examples:
      > > >
      > > > -Email - Ability to combine clickthrough/bounce back info from
      > > email vendor
      > > > into web data
      > > > -Third Party Customer Survey Data (ie: Foresee Results)
      > > > -Google/Yahoo Search Campaigns
      > > > -Cust Review Vendors (Bazaarvoice)
      > > >
      > > > I've heard Omniture has a automated Flash tagging app that
      spiders
      > > your
      > > > flash file. Coremetrics still needs to insert tags manually to
      call
      > > the
      > > > javascript functions. We aren't flash heavy here, but something
      > > keep in
      > > > mind.
      > > >
      > > > I have opinions on customer service as well, but I will let
      users
      > > of both
      > > > tools answer this one to be fair...Omniture users please
      correct me
      > > on
      > > > anything I over/under stated.

      Omniture Vs