Web Analytics hiring questions???

  • chaitanya_pasupuleti
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 4, 2008
      Hey ,

      This is for all the senior web analyst out there who play a critical
      role in filling web analytics positions.

      Over time I have seen many people talking about skill set required for
      web analysts know I am interested knowing what kind of typical questions
      are asked in interviews while filling entry level positions.

      Hope most of people don't mind sharing their interview experiences.
      [:)]

      Thanks,

      Chaitanya.

    • Zachariah Freitas
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 4, 2008
        I've been hearing a lot of interviewers asking the following
        questions:

        What is a P-Value in laymen's terms?
        What is a confidence interval?
        How are cookies handled?
        What types of cookies are there?
        Write an SQL statement that does x?
        What would you be able to track on this a/b test? (Interviewer shows
        interviewee two screenshots)
        How does pixel tracking work.

        How would you fill up this room full of golf balls?

        A whole mess of math questions like:
        Complete the series 1 3 5 7 _ _ _
        What is 15% of 50,000?

        I've even had interviewers have me take aptitude tests, which seems
        redundant especially when they continuously ask me math questions
        after the test. An aptitude test is usually a 15 min. test that
        supposed to measure your skills for something. My only advice on
        this is to make sure you are rested for your interview.

        Experience questions are typical. Things like, tell us a difficult
        situation you were in and how did you get it resolved. Others like,
        what was your most successful past project.

        Sometimes if you are luck you get an interview where the interviewer
        talks about themselves the entire interview. Although, this could be
        a warning for you to run, and I advise that you heed it. :)

        Don't get sideswiped prepare for these and others.

        Zach

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "chaitanya_pasupuleti"
        <chaitanya_pasupuleti@...> wrote:

        > Hey ,
        >

        > This is for all the senior web analyst out there who play a critical
        > role in filling web analytics positions.
        >

        > Over time I have seen many people talking about skill set required
        for
        > web analysts know I am interested knowing what kind of typical
        questions
        > are asked in interviews while filling entry level positions.
        >

        > Hope most of people don't mind sharing their interview experiences.
        > [:)]
        >

        > Thanks,
        >
        > Chaitanya.

      • chaitanya_pasupuleti
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 5, 2008
          Thanks for sharing Zach,

          This would really give a direction for most of people who are
          preparing for interviews.

          Chaitanya.
          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Zachariah Freitas"
          <zachfreitas@...> wrote:

          > I've been hearing a lot of interviewers asking the following
          > questions:
          >
          > What is a P-Value in laymen's terms?
          > What is a confidence interval?
          > How are cookies handled?
          > What types of cookies are there?
          > Write an SQL statement that does x?
          > What would you be able to track on this a/b test? (Interviewer shows
          > interviewee two screenshots)
          > How does pixel tracking work.
          >
          > How would you fill up this room full of golf balls?
          >
          > A whole mess of math questions like:
          > Complete the series 1 3 5 7 _ _ _
          > What is 15% of 50,000?
          >

          > I've even had interviewers have me take aptitude tests, which seems
          > redundant especially when they continuously ask me math questions
          > after the test. An aptitude test is usually a 15 min. test that
          > supposed to measure your skills for something. My only advice on
          > this is to make sure you are rested for your interview.
          >
          > Experience questions are typical. Things like, tell us a difficult
          > situation you were in and how did you get it resolved. Others like,
          > what was your most successful past project.
          >
          > Sometimes if you are luck you get an interview where the interviewer
          > talks about themselves the entire interview. Although, this could be
          > a warning for you to run, and I advise that you heed it. :)
          >
          > Don't get sideswiped prepare for these and others.
          >
          > Zach
          >

          > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "chaitanya_pasupuleti"
          > chaitanya_pasupuleti@ wrote:
          > >

          > > Hey ,
          > >

          > > This is for all the senior web analyst out there who play a critical
          > > role in filling web analytics positions.
          > >

          > > Over time I have seen many people talking about skill set required
          > for
          > > web analysts know I am interested knowing what kind of typical
          > questions
          > > are asked in interviews while filling entry level positions.
          > >

          > > Hope most of people don't mind sharing their interview experiences.
          > > [:)]
          > >

          > > Thanks,
          > >
          > > Chaitanya.

        • alexbrasil489
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 5, 2008
            Are you serious? Perhaps it's just me, but few, if any of those
            questions will indicate a strong analyst from my point of view. I'm
            particularly baffled by the request for you to write an SQL
            statement-- what on earth is the rationale behind that one?

            It seems like people have been mislead into thinking WA is an intense
            statistical/technical role-- in my opinion it isn't. While some math
            skills are necessary I think you need a good grasp of how the web is
            put together, how the tracking of those pieces work, and the ability
            to translate the numbers you are looking at into business objectives
            and goals.

            Meh, to each their own, but I think a heavy emphasis on statistics and
            math is the wrong way to go, particularly since they appear to not
            really ask anything about, you know, websites.

            <zachfreitas@...> wrote:

            > I've been hearing a lot of interviewers asking the following
            > questions:
            >
            > What is a P-Value in laymen's terms?
            > What is a confidence interval?
            > How are cookies handled?
            > What types of cookies are there?
            > Write an SQL statement that does x?
            > What would you be able to track on this a/b test? (Interviewer shows
            > interviewee two screenshots)
            > How does pixel tracking work.
            >
            > How would you fill up this room full of golf balls?
            >
            > A whole mess of math questions like:
            > Complete the series 1 3 5 7 _ _ _
            > What is 15% of 50,000?
            >

            > I've even had interviewers have me take aptitude tests, which seems
            > redundant especially when they continuously ask me math questions
            > after the test. An aptitude test is usually a 15 min. test that
            > supposed to measure your skills for something. My only advice on
            > this is to make sure you are rested for your interview.
            >
            > Experience questions are typical. Things like, tell us a difficult
            > situation you were in and how did you get it resolved. Others like,
            > what was your most successful past project.
            >
            > Sometimes if you are luck you get an interview where the interviewer
            > talks about themselves the entire interview. Although, this could be
            > a warning for you to run, and I advise that you heed it. :)
            >
            > Don't get sideswiped prepare for these and others.
            >
            > Zach
            >

            > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "chaitanya_pasupuleti"
            > <chaitanya_pasupuleti@> wrote:
            > >

            > > Hey ,
            > >

            > > This is for all the senior web analyst out there who play a critical
            > > role in filling web analytics positions.
            > >

            > > Over time I have seen many people talking about skill set required
            > for
            > > web analysts know I am interested knowing what kind of typical
            > questions
            > > are asked in interviews while filling entry level positions.
            > >

            > > Hope most of people don't mind sharing their interview experiences.
            > > [:)]
            > >

            > > Thanks,
            > >
            > > Chaitanya.

          • Leticia Colon
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 5, 2008
              Hi

              I am not surprised that the SQL question is asked to a web analyst.

              From my experience, I worked very closely with the web administrator to help
              me with the web analytics.

              But guess what? Team of 2 became team of 1 due to corporate restructuring
              and guess who had to assume some of his technical skills.

              Answer: Web Analyst!!

              This may be the case at many other organizations where the web analytical
              team expertise and skill sets are not properly defined in the corporation's
              processes.

              On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 8:55 AM, alexbrasil489 <alexbrasil@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > talks about themselves the entire interview. Although, this could be
              > > a warning for you to run, and I advise that you heed it. :)
              > >
              > > Don't get sideswiped prepare for these and others.
              > >
              > > Zach
              > >

              > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>,
              > "chaitanya_pasupuleti"
              > > <chaitanya_pasupuleti@> wrote:
              > > >

              > > > Hey ,
              > > >

              > > > This is for all the senior web analyst out there who play a critical
              > > > role in filling web analytics positions.
              > > >

              > > > Over time I have seen many people talking about skill set required
              > > for
              > > > web analysts know I am interested knowing what kind of typical
              > > questions
              > > > are asked in interviews while filling entry level positions.
              > > >

              > > > Hope most of people don't mind sharing their interview experiences.

              Creed of Destiny- Thoughts leads to Words, Words, lead to Actions, Actions
              lead to Character, and Character leads to Destiny.

            • John Henry
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 5, 2008
                Like any recruitment decision, I think it comes down to how well defined and
                'siloed' the particular web analyst position is. If you are recruiting for a
                very focused role, say a junior as part of a large team, with a well
                consolidated system in place, and great dev support, then perhaps a narrow
                skill set might be justifiable.

                However I have found that most web analytics roles require a very diverse
                and constantly changing set of skills, depending on the strengths and
                weaknesses of other members of the team and business, and the nature and
                maturity of the analytics systems in place.

                As somebody who sits in a role encompassing web analytics, general business
                intelligence, and a significant degree of strategy development, a good
                understanding of basic statistical theory as well as the ability to quickly
                code some SQL is invaluable to me. If/when I recruit juniors to the team, I
                will definitely look for these kinds of abilities - whether actual or
                potential - because I don't see web analytics technology evolution slowing
                down any time soon, and I need to know that the people I work with
                understand the basic theory & skills - which won't change over time.

                Also, a good knowledge of web development, protocols and technology really
                gives significant benefit in terms of implementation and management of web
                analytics systems. Speaking the technical language empowers you when it
                comes to communication between teams, vendors and stakeholders. If you just
                want a guy to crunch numbers, fair enough, but there is so much scope for
                ambiguity and margins of error within web analytics that if you are
                responsible for generating conclusions, it's important to have an
                understanding of the nuances of the technology and therefore data that you
                are working with. And understanding of cookies, as an example, is fairly
                crucial here.

                Finally, I think that abstract, off-the-cuff, mathematical or analytical
                questions can really show someones ability to think logically and clearly
                about problems under pressure. If you are recruiting to build an adaptable,
                long-term team, with an innate learning predisposition, then I think these
                transferable skills are very good indicators of intellect and potential.

                But of course, if someone has all this technical ability, but is not able to
                continually draw insightful conclusions and communicate them clearly and
                concisely with a wide and varied audience, then they'd probably be better
                suited to a pure development or data analyst role. It's not all about the
                p-value.

                I hope I didn't go too off-topic.

                John Henry
                twitter.com/johnwhenry
                justgiving.com

                kiva.org - loans that change lives

              • elswater
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 5, 2008
                  I agree--you don't need to be a statistician or technical wiz-kid to
                  be an outstanding web analyst.

                  When evaluating a candidate for an analytics role I spend my time
                  figuring out if they can actually analyze. It is much harder to teach
                  how to think clearly and cope with ambiguity than teach how to use the
                  WA toolset.

                  -Alex

                  --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "alexbrasil489" <alexbrasil@...>
                  wrote:

> [...]
                  > >
                  > > Sometimes if you are luck you get an interview where the interviewer
                  > > talks about themselves the entire interview. Although, this could be
                  > > a warning for you to run, and I advise that you heed it. :)
                  > >
                  > > Don't get sideswiped prepare for these and others.
                  > >
                  > > Zach
                  > >

                  > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "chaitanya_pasupuleti"
                  > > <chaitanya_pasupuleti@> wrote:
                  > > >

                  > > > Hey ,
                  > > >

                  > > > This is for all the senior web analyst out there who play a critical
                  > > > role in filling web analytics positions.
                  > > >

                  > > > Over time I have seen many people talking about skill set required
                  > > for
                  > > > web analysts know I am interested knowing what kind of typical
                  > > questions
                  > > > are asked in interviews while filling entry level positions.
                  > > >

                  > > > Hope most of people don't mind sharing their interview experiences.

                • analyticsman
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 5, 2008
                    I think that the questions that Zach has asked are not of the norm.

                    I've only worked in two different jobs for analytics, but none of
                    those questions were asked nor were anything similar to those
                    questions asked. Nor have I been required to know any of those
                    answers in my 3+ years in web analytics, tracking 400 websites.

                    I wouldn't expect a ton of questions on statistics because these
                    days, we have tools that handle 95% of the necessary math for us.
                    If they are asking ton of statistics questions they are looking for
                    more than a web analytics analyst.

                    I don't see the ideal web analytics analyst as being a hard numbers
                    person. This might shock some people because we report so many
                    numbers. I think the ideal web analytics person is a good mix of
                    left and right brained. Numbers alone can lie. There are people
                    that are incredibly good at math but not very good at creative
                    problem solving. You need to see the big picture and look for
                    creative alternatives. Breadth of experience and knowledge is a
                    huge benefit here.

                    So, the kinds of questions I might ask somebody interviewing for a
                    entry level web analytics position would be more along the lines of
                    understanding the popular basic metrics and what they tell you. I'd
                    also ask some problem solving questions. What is a bounce rate? If
                    you identified a page with a high bounce rate, what recommendations
                    might you make to a web team to approach reducing the bounce rate?
                    Given our company's website and goals, what are important things for
                    us to track and report on to the business?

                    I'd also try to get a sense of their comfort level for a specific
                    tool we are using. So I might ask a question like, 'In Webtrends,
                    how would you go about configuring tracking for a video player plays
                    given this specific URL...'

                    I think that there is value in asking questions about working with
                    the business and basic understanding of marketing concepts. These
                    come into play when you are asked about campaign tracking and
                    reporting, for instance. You have to be comfortable communicating
                    with the business and presenting data to the business with
                    confidence.

                    If I got hit with 100 statistics questions during a job interview,
                    it would be a sign to me that they were looking for a statistician
                    and not a web analytics person and that I was in the wrong
                    interview.

                    Analyticsman

                    <alexbrasil@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > talks about themselves the entire interview. Although, this
                    could be
                    > > a warning for you to run, and I advise that you heed it. :)
                    > >
                    > > Don't get sideswiped prepare for these and others.
                    > >
                    > > Zach
                    > >

                    > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "chaitanya_pasupuleti"
                    > > <chaitanya_pasupuleti@> wrote:
                    > > >

                    > > > Hey ,
                    > > >

                    > > > This is for all the senior web analyst out there who play a
                    critical
                    > > > role in filling web analytics positions.
                    > > >

                    > > > Over time I have seen many people talking about skill set
                    required
                    > > for
                    > > > web analysts know I am interested knowing what kind of typical
                    > > questions
                    > > > are asked in interviews while filling entry level positions.
                    > > >

                    > > > Hope most of people don't mind sharing their interview

                  • Zachariah Freitas
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 5, 2008
                      I agree with the both of you. I believe that a good web analyst is
                      inquisitive and inventive. They should be good problem solvers.
                      They should have collaborative personalities. Nine times out of ten
                      they are not expected to code, but when they are they manage. I
                      personally believe it's a mistake not hire someone who doesn't
                      necessarily have every piece of information about statistic, SQL, and
                      coding at their beck in call. That information can be referenced,
                      and it usually is referenced. A good web analyst is a jack of all
                      trades and a master of none. That's my two cents.

                      Zach

                      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Leticia Colon"

                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 5, 2008
                        John, we agree on some points, disagree on others.

                        I fully agree that a technical understanding of the web itself and the
                        technologies that surround it is very important (which I was
                        insinuating when I talked about how the web fits together), and while
                        I can buy your argument to a degree you're essentially saying that you
                        want a candidate that has a background in

                        1. Statistics
                        2. Database administration
                        3. Web Development
                        4. Mathematics
                        5. Business analysis

                        In addition, I presume, you want candidates who are very capable of
                        communicating, both orally and written.

                        That's quite the laundry list, and I don't think such a candidate
                        really exists or is at least exceptionally rare. It's somewhat akin
                        to the job ads I see for website developers which list 40 different
                        languages-- it's just not feasible for someone to have such a broad
                        list of qualifications and have the depth to go with it.

                        When putting a focus on what defines a good analyst in this space, #3
                        and #5 of that list strike me as pretty ideal-- with the ability to
                        draw up SQL strings being way down the list. I mean honestly, how
                        often are your analysts asked to do such a thing and for what purpose?

                        Then again, I'm not a recruiter so what do I know? :)

                        Alex

                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 5, 2008
                          Alex,
                          Thanks for that. You are right, I did go to town with my asks, and it would
                          be nigh-on impossible to find such candidates easily and affordably.

                          But depending on the situation, those competencies, or the ability to learn
                          the basics very quickly, can be vital for an analyst to operate effectively.
                          I have seen and experienced this reality on a number of occasions.

                          You are right though that when push comes to shove, you need to focus on
                          what is critical. Your #3 and #5 are pretty good candidates here. :)

                          John

                        • Hussain Ahmed
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 5, 2008
                            Hello Analytics man

                            You are right partially but through your baised away that web analyst
                            role does not require much statistics,
                            At least web analyst require to translate the requirements to
                            statistion the questions like p value confidence interval are very
                            basics, and I belive increasing competition requires a combination of
                            statistics data mining or webmining coupled with strong knowledge of
                            marketing

                            Sent from my iPhone

                          • alec_cochrane
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
                              Myself and a peer have interviewed quite a few people over the last
                              couple of years for Web analytics roles and SEO roles and critical
                              question is always the one below. You'd be amazed how often it has
                              made or broken the interview and the varying answers that we've got.

                              "What is your favourite website and why?"

                              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "chaitanya_pasupuleti"
                              <chaitanya_pasupuleti@...> wrote:

                              > Hey ,
                              >

                              > This is for all the senior web analyst out there who play a critical
                              > role in filling web analytics positions.
                              >

                              > Over time I have seen many people talking about skill set required for
                              > web analysts know I am interested knowing what kind of typical questions
                              > are asked in interviews while filling entry level positions.
                              >

                              > Hope most of people don't mind sharing their interview experiences.
                              > [:)]
                              >

                              > Thanks,
                              >
                              > Chaitanya.

                            • Matt Sparks
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
                                I rarely jump in but I am truly intrigued by this and am convinced I must be
                                missing some context here..

                                Alec - Your reply regarding the "make or break" interview question you use
                                is very both shocking and confusing to me at the same time.

                                Are you saying that if you had a qualified candidate, who met all of the
                                requirements your company needed in that role, that did not answer this
                                question to your liking they would be out of the running for the job?

                                Conversely if you had an analyst that really wasn't meeting the bar in the
                                interview but then they gave a great answer (whatever that is) to that
                                question - you would then turn and hire that person?

                                What am I missing here? and more importantly is Alec alone in this "make or
                                break" question scenario?

                                Thanks,

                                Matt Sparks
                                Senior Consultant
                                IQ Workforce

                                Myself and a peer have interviewed quite a few people over the last
                                couple of years for Web analytics roles and SEO roles and critical
                                question is always the one below. varying answers that we've got.

                                --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>
                                , "chaitanya_pasupuleti"
                                <chaitanya_pasupuleti@...> wrote:

                                > Hey ,
                                >

                                > This is for all the senior web analyst out there who play a critical
                                > role in filling web analytics positions.
                                >

                                > Over time I have seen many people talking about skill set required for
                                > web analysts know I am interested knowing what kind of typical questions
                                > are asked in interviews while filling entry level positions.
                                >

                                > Hope most of people don't mind sharing their interview experiences.
                                > [:)]
                                >

                                > Thanks,
                                >
                                > Chaitanya.

                              • alec_cochrane
                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 7, 2008
                                  Yep - we've had one person we were definitely going to ask back for a
                                  second interview, but wasn't based on the fact that they didn't really
                                  have that much interest in the web and couldn't answer the question
                                  (but answered all the other questions well and did well in their
                                  aptitude test).

                                  Conversely we've also had a couple where they were borderline and it
                                  knocked them out of the second interview because they fed us an answer
                                  they thought we'd like to hear without a valid reason to back up.
                                  Also a couple that have been borderline but have got a second
                                  interview because they've given a good answer with a great reason.

                                  We're not looking for set answers in this one. I don't want to hear
                                  'Google' or 'yourwebsite.com' if it isn't. I want to know what you're
                                  doing on the web and why.

                                  I think the companies I've worked for the WA people and the SEO people
                                  have been expected to not just do their jobs, promote the reasons for
                                  doing their job, but be proper web people and promote the web. If you
                                  don't understand the web and how people use the web from personal
                                  experience, how on earth can you do a job like this? It'd be like
                                  someone with a peanut allergy working for Revels - they could
                                  understand most of it, but there is an important little piece of the
                                  jigsaw missing.

                                  Also I have a suspicion that you could be good in an aptitude test,
                                  answer technical questions and still not quite have the right ability
                                  if you don't have the enthusiasm for the web.

                                  Maybe everyone else just takes that as a given.

                                  --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Matt Sparks <msparks@...> wrote:

                                  > I rarely jump in but I am truly intrigued by this and am convinced I
                                  must be
                                  > missing some context here..
                                  >

                                  > Alec - Your reply regarding the "make or break" interview question
                                  you use
                                  > is very both shocking and confusing to me at the same time.
                                  >

                                  > Are you saying that if you had a qualified candidate, who met all of the
                                  > requirements your company needed in that role, that did not answer this
                                  > question to your liking they would be out of the running for the job?
                                  >

                                  > Conversely if you had an analyst that really wasn't meeting the bar
                                  in the
                                  > interview but then they gave a great answer (whatever that is) to that
                                  > question - you would then turn and hire that person?
                                  >

                                  > What am I missing here? and more importantly is Alec alone in this
                                  "make or
                                  > break" question scenario?
                                  >

                                  > Thanks,
                                  >
                                  > Matt Sparks
                                  > Senior Consultant
                                  > IQ Workforce

                                • alec_cochrane
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 7, 2008
                                    Dammit - I've just read that they've taken the peanut one out of
                                    Revels now. Oh well, it would have been a good analogy a couple of
                                    years ago. Damn you Mars!

                                  • borkman
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 9, 2008
                                      So Alec -"What is your favourite website and why?" I can see your
                                      point in asking the question...but there's far more I'd be looking
                                      for when evaluating a candidate.

                                      I agree with the folks who've identified the difference between a
                                      data analyst/statistician to a Web Analytic Professional/Analyst.
                                      Let's not forget that many of the tools that folks talk about on this
                                      list do the heavy lifting for you - e.g., eliminate the
                                      technical/data manipulation parts.

                                      Over the 10+ years I've been working with Web analytics - the biggest
                                      challenges have always been from a business objective/focusing
                                      standpoint. What is the goal - part of the site/app/function that
                                      needs to be measured - how do you focus the effort to obtain the
                                      results/take action.

                                      On the general topic. I really am in agreement with Alex and would
                                      target an individual who has a broad understanding of online business
                                      models/wed development methods - how to properly track (from business
                                      goal, to questions that answer that goal to reports that would help
                                      me answer the question and the data required to derive the report)
                                      analyze the many functions of the Web, and work within the given
                                      business/industry that they are being hired to work.

                                      Cheers,
                                      BRK

                                      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "alec_cochrane"