exit link tracking

  • gadabout0
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2008
      Hi folks. Is there any way that WebTrends can automatically be set to
      capture the destination page on any links that exit the site? I was
      told that this is off the shelf functionality in Omniture but I'm not
      sure if it can be done in WebTrends.

      Thanks,
      Rafael
    • Wes Contreras
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2008
        On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 12:19 PM, gadabout0 <gadabout0@...> wrote:

        > Hi folks. Is there any way that WebTrends can automatically be set to
        > capture the destination page on any links that exit the site? I was
        > told that this is off the shelf functionality in Omniture but I'm not
        > sure if it can be done in WebTrends.

        Build your JavaScript tag using the WebTrends Tag Builder:
        http://tagbuilder.webtrends.com/

        The second tab is called "click event tracking" and allows you to
        build in functionality like tracking off-site links, anchor links,
        download links, image maps, etc.

        --
        Wes Contreras
        wesc@...
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 4, 2008
          Thanks Wes. I appreciate the help!

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Wes Contreras" <wesc@...> wrote:

          > On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 12:19 PM, gadabout0 <gadabout0@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi folks. Is there any way that WebTrends can automatically be set to
          > > capture the destination page on any links that exit the site? I was
          > > told that this is off the shelf functionality in Omniture but I'm not
          > > sure if it can be done in WebTrends.
          >
          > Build your JavaScript tag using the WebTrends Tag Builder:
          > http://tagbuilder.webtrends.com/
          >
          > The second tab is called "click event tracking" and allows you to
          > build in functionality like tracking off-site links, anchor links,
          > download links, image maps, etc.
          >

          > --
          > Wes Contreras
          > wesc@...

        • Rajesh kendoth
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 4, 2008
            Hello Rafael,
            In webtrends too you can track the offsite link from ur website. All you
            need to do is to add the DCSmultirack function for the link. Have the Multi
            track functionality in the page along with comman tag and then use onclik
            functionality for the link, you can see the page in the top pages report

            regards
            RK

            On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 1:49 AM, gadabout0 <gadabout0@...> wrote:

            > Hi folks. Is there any way that WebTrends can automatically be set to
            > capture the destination page on any links that exit the site? I was
            > told that this is off the shelf functionality in Omniture but I'm not
            > sure if it can be done in WebTrends.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Rafael

          • Evans, Tim
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 4, 2008
              >In webtrends too you can track the offsite link from ur website. All
              you
              >need to do is to add the DCSmultirack function for the link. Have the
              Multi
              >track functionality in the page along with comman tag and then use
              onclik
              >functionality for the link, you can see the page in the top pages
              report

              Can you provide a snippet of HTML that illustrates this? Thanks.
              --
              Tim Evans | tim.evans@...
              Social Security Administration | (410) 965-4217

            • Bob Willis
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 4, 2008
                Tim,
                There is a function that can be added to your WT js that will track offsite links automatically. You can see the metrics associated with this tracking in the Offsite links report or in the Pages report. This requires much less work than tracking all of your offsite links with dcsMultiTrack.
                Are you using Software or WTOD? If software, what version? The older versions (I think pre 8.0d) may not have the Offsite links built-on report.
                Good luck,
                Bob

                Tim Evans | tim.evans@ssa. gov

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 5, 2008
                  >There is a function that can be added to your WT js that will track
                  offsite links automatically. You can see >the metrics associated with
                  this tracking in the Offsite links report or in the Pages report. This
                  requires >much less work than tracking all of your offsite links with
                  dcsMultiTrack.
                  >Are you using Software or WTOD? If software, what version? The older
                  versions (I think pre 8.0d) may not have >the Offsite links built-on
                  report.

                  Thanks. I should've been clearer, especially given the subject line.
                  My request for an HTML snippet was directed at counting *downloads* with
                  dcsMultiTrack, rather than exit pages.
                  --
                  Tim Evans | tim.evans@...
                  Social Security Administration | (410) 965-4217
                  Office of Electronic Services | (410) 597-1187 (FAX)
                  http://www.ssa.gov/
                • David Smith
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 6, 2008
                    If you use the WebTrends tag builder, you can select a 'Track Downloads'
                    option that will automatically track downloads (via links) based on the
                    file type. You don't need to explicitly add dcsMultiTrack to the links.

                    In relatively recent SDC software installations you can simply add the
                    download.js file to your page (ahead of the other WebTrends js file) to
                    get the same effect. This function binds to the click events on the
                    page and calls dcsMultiTrack when the file types match a predefined
                    list.

                    DTS
                    --
                    David T. Smith, Partner