Google Analytics Questions

  • Adam Boettiger
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
      Wonder if anyone on-list could help with a few basic Google Analytics
      questions that I'm not finding elsewhere?

      1. We have a client site that has a subdirectory that is coming up twice on
      reporting:

      rooturl.com/subdirectory/ and rooturl.com/subdirectory
      (with and without the slash)

      We're seeing two different sets of numbers for the same subdirectory. What
      might be causing this and how can we fix?

      2. Is there a way in Google Analytics to obtain reporting only for a
      subdirectory, without the rest of the site, to include unique visitor counts
      referrals - everything?

      Thanks in advance for any help.

      Adam Boettiger, Digital Strategist
      adam@... - 503.989.2668
      Portland, Oregon

    • londonturu
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2008
        Hi Adam,

        When you tag with ._trackPageview();

        Google Analytics captures the actual REQUEST URI in the browser
        (document.location.pathname + document.location.search)...

        If you have both rooturl.com/subdirectory/ and
        rooturl.com/subdirectory in your TOP CONTENT report this means they
        are both valid contents.

        If you type both contents in the browser, what do you see? Are both
        URLs showing the same content? Is one of them a 404 error?

        The difference in the input of the URL can either happen because
        users enter the URL directly or because in the links to that content
        throught the site you are using both URLs.

        In case the contents are the same you can do a filter that looks
        for /subdirectory/$ and replaces it with /subdirectory (I think the
        look and replace filter can handle the regex, if not go with advance
        filter)...

        A more general filter (for any subdirectory) would be:

        Field A: REQUEST URI= ^(.*)/$
        OUTPUT: REQUEST URI= $A1

        This will drop the last / for strings ended in /

        > 2. Is there a way in Google Analytics to obtain reporting only for a
        > subdirectory, without the rest of the site, to include unique
        > visitor counts referrals - everything?

        If you want to have all reports for a single subdirectory you have to
        create a new profile with a filter to include traffic to that
        subdirectory. There is a default filter to do so.

        cheers,

        Andres
        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Boettiger" <boettiger@...>
        wrote:

        > Wonder if anyone on-list could help with a few basic Google
        Analytics
        > questions that I'm not finding elsewhere?
        >
        > 1. We have a client site that has a subdirectory that is coming up
        twice on
        > reporting:
        >
        > rooturl.com/subdirectory/ and rooturl.com/subdirectory
        > (with and without the slash)
        >
        > We're seeing two different sets of numbers for the same
        subdirectory. What
        > might be causing this and how can we fix?
        >
        > 2. Is there a way in Google Analytics to obtain reporting only for a
        > subdirectory, without the rest of the site, to include unique
        visitor counts
        > referrals - everything?
        >
        > Thanks in advance for any help.
        >

        > Adam Boettiger, Digital Strategist
        > adam@... - 503.989.2668
        > Portland, Oregon

      • Adam Boettiger
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2008
          On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 2:10 AM, londonturu <londonturu@...> wrote:

          > Hi Adam,
          >
          > When you tag with ._trackPageview();
          >
          > Google Analytics captures the actual REQUEST URI in the browser
          > (document.location.pathname + document.location.search)...
          >
          > If you have both rooturl.com/subdirectory/ and
          > rooturl.com/subdirectory in your TOP CONTENT report this means they
          > are both valid contents.
          >
          > If you type both contents in the browser, what do you see? Are both
          > URLs showing the same content? Is one of them a 404 error?

          Yes. Both URLs are showing the same content. So are you saying what
          needs to happen is we would need to set a 301 redirect or a regex
          filter that routes to the slash version from the non-slash version?

          > This will drop the last / for strings ended in /

          So is it better to have the slash or not have the slash?

          > If you want to have all reports for a single subdirectory you have to
          > create a new profile with a filter to include traffic to that
          > subdirectory. There is a default filter to do so.

          So create a new profile within the existing analytics account. But
          does not that require retagging the subsection of the site with new
          tags? And if yes, wouldn't that mean that the root site's analytics
          would be skewed? Or are you suggesting the placement of two GA tags in
          subdirectory content?

          Adam Boettiger, Digital Strategist
          adam@... - 503.989.2668
          Portland, Oregon
        • nethab1
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 4, 2008
            If your URL were an actual subdirectory there would always be a "/" at
            the end. Web servers are normally set to automatically redirect to the
            "/" version. The fact that yours is not implies that you are doing
            some form of URL rewriting on your server. I would try and adjust your
            URL re-writing to always use one form or the other.

            wrote:

            > On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 2:10 AM, londonturu <londonturu@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Adam,
            > >
            > > When you tag with ._trackPageview();
            > >
            > > Google Analytics captures the actual REQUEST URI in the browser
            > > (document.location.pathname + document.location.search)...
            > >
            > > If you have both rooturl.com/subdirectory/ and
            > > rooturl.com/subdirectory in your TOP CONTENT report this means they
            > > are both valid contents.
            > >
            > > If you type both contents in the browser, what do you see? Are both
            > > URLs showing the same content? Is one of them a 404 error?
            >
            > Yes. Both URLs are showing the same content. So are you saying what
            > needs to happen is we would need to set a 301 redirect or a regex
            > filter that routes to the slash version from the non-slash version?
            >
            > > This will drop the last / for strings ended in /
            >
            > So is it better to have the slash or not have the slash?
            >
            > > If you want to have all reports for a single subdirectory you have to
            > > create a new profile with a filter to include traffic to that
            > > subdirectory. There is a default filter to do so.
            >
            > So create a new profile within the existing analytics account. But
            > does not that require retagging the subsection of the site with new
            > tags? And if yes, wouldn't that mean that the root site's analytics
            > would be skewed? Or are you suggesting the placement of two GA tags in
            > subdirectory content?
            >

            > Adam Boettiger, Digital Strategist
            > adam@... - 503.989.2668
            > Portland, Oregon

          • londonturu
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 4, 2008
              Adam.

              > Yes. Both URLs are showing the same content. So are you saying what
              > needs to happen is we would need to set a 301 redirect or a regex
              > filter that routes to the slash version from the non-slash version?

              If you redirect one of the URLs to the other you will solve the
              problem.

              But please consider that you can also solve the problem applying a
              filter within Google Analytics that rewrites one content into the
              other.

              I just think of another question, what is the content that actually
              gets called when you have subdirectory/? is it index.html,
              default.html or anything like that? Do you have records in Google
              Analytics Top Content for that content as
              well /subdirectory/index.html? If so you are actually splitting your
              traffic in 3.

              >So is it better to have the slash or not have the slash?

              Whithin Google Analytics my personal opinion is the following:

              If you have one single content /subdirectory/ I will rather have it
              without the ending "/" because that gives me and extra level for th
              drill-down report that is not needed.

              If you have several contents under that subdirectory I
              think "/subdirectory", "/subdirectory/"
              and "/subdirectory/default.html" should be mapped
              to "/subdirectory/default.html" that will show a content line for
              default.html when you drill-down that subdirectory.

              > So create a new profile within the existing analytics account. But
              > does not that require retagging the subsection of the site with new
              > tags? And if yes, wouldn't that mean that the root site's analytics
              > would be skewed? Or are you suggesting the placement of two GA tags
              > in subdirectory content?

              When you create a new profile you can either created for a new site
              or for an existing one if you choose this last option it gives you
              the option to choose within a dropdown list. If you choose the same
              profile that you are using for the whole site that profile is based
              on the information collected with the tag that is already on place
              eliminating the need to tag again. In this way you won´t skew any
              data. You can have both profiles (1st for whole site and 2nd only for
              subdirectory) with one single tag (1 uacct UA-xxxxx-yy, the same yy),
              if this is not happening you did something wrong.

              Hope this helps.

              Andrés

              Note: Be careful if you choose to use the default content setting in
              the profile settings page, it modifies URIs ended in / at any
              subdirectory replacing them for /default_content you define in the
              settings page. many sites have different default contents for
              different subdirectories.

              wrote:

              > On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 2:10 AM, londonturu <londonturu@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Adam,
              > >
              > > When you tag with ._trackPageview();
              > >
              > > Google Analytics captures the actual REQUEST URI in the browser
              > > (document.location.pathname + document.location.search)...
              > >
              > > If you have both rooturl.com/subdirectory/ and
              > > rooturl.com/subdirectory in your TOP CONTENT report this means
              they
              > > are both valid contents.
              > >
              > > If you type both contents in the browser, what do you see? Are
              both
              > > URLs showing the same content? Is one of them a 404 error?
              >
              > Yes. Both URLs are showing the same content. So are you saying what
              > needs to happen is we would need to set a 301 redirect or a regex
              > filter that routes to the slash version from the non-slash version?
              >
              > > This will drop the last / for strings ended in /
              >
              > So is it better to have the slash or not have the slash?
              >
              > > If you want to have all reports for a single subdirectory you
              have to
              > > create a new profile with a filter to include traffic to that
              > > subdirectory. There is a default filter to do so.
              >
              > So create a new profile within the existing analytics account. But
              > does not that require retagging the subsection of the site with new
              > tags? And if yes, wouldn't that mean that the root site's analytics
              > would be skewed? Or are you suggesting the placement of two GA tags
              in
              > subdirectory content?
              >

              > Adam Boettiger, Digital Strategist
              > adam@... - 503.989.2668
              > Portland, Oregon

            • Hailong XIA
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 6, 2008
                Hi there,

                since this is the same content under the two URL, why not just assign a
                ._trackPageview() value to this page?
                for example, ._trackPageview("/subdirectory<http://rooturl.com/subdirectory>")
                or ._trackPageview("/subdirectory <http://rooturl.com/subdirectory>/") as
                you need.