URL shortening with tracking features. Suggested use for simple analytics?

  • tim.lboyce
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2008
      Somebody just pointed me at another URL-shortening service with
      tracking features, which is making suggestions about use for limited
      forms of analytics:

      http://budurl.com/timlb3

      This point in the feauture list made me grin, in the context of the
      'web analytics is/isn't easy' debate. But the point about most of the
      people with access to Google Analytics don't know how to use it is
      also painfully close to the truth, isn't it?

      "BudURL was designed from the start to give small businesses and
      marketers insight into previously invisible click traffic. Not
      everyone has access to Google Analytics and most of those that have it
      don't know how to use it. BudURL makes link tracking amazingly simple.
      Shorten the link, put it somewhere, and watch the clicks roll in. It's
      that easy!"

      My gut reaction to this is that I'm not sure if we need to reinvent
      the wheel (tip of the hat to Julien C). But such systems bring very
      welcome benefits for simple variants on link tagging and shortening
      compared to the ones which only shorten.

      Another contender in this field, which I have also used,

      http://cli.gs/jvW29U

      has already asked the question what extra analytics would you like to
      see. If anyone here has a potential use for such systems and would
      like to influence the direction they take, it might be worth heading
      over there.

      Tim