Re: [webanalytics] Digest Number 2265

  • Brian Clifton
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2008
      Loren - your points are inaccurate and do not reflect the reality

      > >1. Service Levels. Google doesn't have any contractual offerings or
      >> commitments

      I don't get your point here. Of course this is correct. How can a company
      provide an SLA if it is free? How can they give you your money back? The
      Google search engine is free to use, should they provide an SLA for that?

      > >2. Support - Besides forums, who do you call?

      If you have a technical problem, email Google via the Help Centre. They have
      > over 100+ office world wide now so I am sure you can contact a GA
      > speciailist just about any day of the year and probably in your native
      > language, if not English. Last time I looked they supported 25 languages,
      > but I am sure they can find someone to help if yours is not one of those.
      >

      > Beyond the free support there is the paid option of using an official
      > Google Authorised Consultants - at list of 62 of these worldwide can be
      > found at: http://www.google.com/analytics/authorized_consultants.html

      >> >3. Customization - You get what you get with Google, but many
      >> sophisticated digital marketers have unique needs, not just slice and
      >> dice requirements.

      The latest info on customisation is here:
      http://analytics.blogspot.com/ Essentially
      the new custom reporting was annouced at eMetrics in DC

      >> >4. Open access to all data, for true data integration

      The latest info on the GA API is here: http://analytics.blogspot.com/
      Essentially
      the new API feature was annouced at eMetrics in DC. Google has a very open
      policy about data access. Hence other vendors use Google's APIs to pull
      Adwords data on behalf of clients. Its a pity that Yahoo and MS adCentre are
      not as open. After all it is the end-clients data!

      >> >5. Data - Google owns it. That is a show stopper for many, many
      >> shops right out of the gate.
      >>

      >> That iss not correct. The account owner owns there data. If the client
      >> wishes to stop using GA they can do so at any time. With the API released,
      >> clients will also be able to pull their data at any time
      >>
      >> >6. Multi-domain or cross-domain tracking
      >>

      >> No problem with this - others have post the Help Centre articles that show
      >> you how to do this
      >>

      > >7. First party cookie. Google gets blocked out of the box on IE8,
      >> Chrome, Firefox and increasingly by users with spyware, etc who avoid
      >> pop up ads, spyware,
      >>

      >> This really is rubbish - is this your own misinformed opinion? There are
      >> no problems using Chrome, Firefox or any other browser to view a site with
      >> GA tracking. Of course end-users of the web have the right to block cookies
      >> from any web analytics tool and that is entirely correct. GA uses standard
      >> page tagging techniques just as other tools do (Omniture, Coremetrics,
      >> Webtrends etc)

      Seriously, if you don't like GA - no problem, don't use it. But please
      refrain from spreading misinformed and inaccurate rumours on this forum.
      Regards, Brian Clifton
      Disclaimer: Author of Advanced Web Metrics with Google Analytics, former
      Head of Web Analytics, Google EMEA.