Discrepencies between Analytics tools

  • web.zvovushe
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 30, 2008
      I have a client having issues on the dscrepencies betwween the DFA data
      I am providing vs the internal goole urchin tracking they are using.

      Can any one explain the statement below in simple terms?

      The primary source of counts is based upon referring URLs which
      wouldn't be consistent with DFA due to non-Iframe Tag use not referring
      as DoubleClick (see KB 16336).
      Furthermore, the passing of referring URLs can be blocked via business
      network firewalls and commercially available software for personal
      computers

      THanks,

      Amy
    • Gerry
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 30, 2008
        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "web.zvovushe"
        <web.zvovushe@...> wrote:

        > I have a client having issues on the dscrepencies betwween the DFA
        data
        > I am providing vs the internal goole urchin tracking they are
        using.

        > Can any one explain the statement below in simple terms?
        >
        > The primary source of counts is based upon referring URLs which
        > wouldn't be consistent with DFA due to non-Iframe Tag use not
        referring
        > as DoubleClick (see KB 16336).
        > Furthermore, the passing of referring URLs can be blocked via
        business
        > network firewalls and commercially available software for personal
        > computers

        Wow - that was a bit of a Geeky explanation ...

        Different collection methods work, well - differently!

        Attempt at English: If your using something that relies on JavaScript
        you can only see what the tool is configured to allow you to see,
        redirects and firewalls can often hide this information from a
        javascript tag.

        If your using a cookie based 'hit counter' it will see you 'here',
        and 'there' almost no need for JavaScript.

        ALL tools vary in terms of numbers, some greater than others ...

        GW
      • Andrew Edwards
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 30, 2008
          Hi--

          Can you disclose which party sent you that note? It sounds like a
          disclaimer.

          More or less it seems to refer to improper or unrecognized campaign
          tagging; also is making reference to so-called "missing data" such as
          that which may be blocked by various IT architectural factors.

          I will echo what has already been said, though: you probably should
          not expect two data collection methods to show the same results. There
          is no uniformity in collection method, nomenclature, report structure
          etc etc.

          An audit of the log files and other data sources is probably the only
          way to rationalize the results.

          Thanks,

          Andrew Edwards
          Technology Leaders

          wrote:

          > I have a client having issues on the dscrepencies betwween the DFA data
          > I am providing vs the internal goole urchin tracking they are using.
          >
          > Can any one explain the statement below in simple terms?
          >
          > The primary source of counts is based upon referring URLs which
          > wouldn't be consistent with DFA due to non-Iframe Tag use not referring
          > as DoubleClick (see KB 16336).
          > Furthermore, the passing of referring URLs can be blocked via business
          > network firewalls and commercially available software for personal
          > computers
          >
          > THanks,
          >
          > Amy

        • Ken Hill
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 31, 2008
            My understanding of your question is, what does the statement mean?

            I think they are saying that the DFA (??) is based on knowing the
            referrer and identifying it as DoubleClick. Sometimes that is not
            possible.

            When they say "the passing of referring URLs can be blocked" they
            mean that it is frequently immpossible to know who the referrer was
            because the information is not available.

            The actual mechanism of determining the referer (page, site or
            domain) is based on an entry provided to the Browser. In IE it is
            window.document.referrer. There are firewall and browser
            security/privacy settings that block that information. If the
            individual page view/click doesn't have the referrer info you can't
            use it to figure out if it was DoubleClick.

            Does that answers your question? That issue (not having referrer
            data) is not actually a problem with the metrics software. They all
            have to deal with it. Differences in metrics between vendors is
            probably based on the factors mentioned in the other replys to this
            question.