Search Intelligence Tool

  • mattjames8080
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 22, 2008
      Hi,

      Anybody have experience using Comscore Marketer and Hitwise? Which
      one would you recommend? I'm mainly into search. They both have
      similar features (search terms to a website - paid/organic breakdown,
      websites receiving traffic from a particular term), but Comscore
      Marketer seems to offer very little compared to Hitwise. I'm not even
      sure what I can do with ComScore Marketer. Any thoughts or
      experiences?

      Thanks in advance,
      Matt
    • mfeiner17
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 23, 2008
        Hi Matt,

        I've worked with both comScore and Hitwise. I haven't, however, used
        the comScore search product.

        If the main focus is search I would favour Hitwise. Their sample size
        is significantly larger than comScore which is critical for search
        (think long tail).

        Factors to consider: Hitwise's sample is biased reflecting the profile
        of the ISP customers from which the data is sniffed. Given that
        Hitwise does not disclose their ISP list it is hard to assess whether
        these customers are truly reflective of the wider national online
        audience.

        I'm very suspicious of Hitwise's demographic data. I think the method
        they use to merge their (valuable) web measurement data with
        demographic data is flawed. I would ignore any Hitwise demographic
        data.

        comSocre on the other hand would likely face sampling and accuracy
        issues for less frequent search terms. The data could fluctuate
        significantly month on month.

        Disclaimer: I used to work for Nielsen Online. I categorise the big
        three's greatest strengths as:
        Nielsen for demographic information, comScore for their global reach
        (even taking into account the measurement accuracy issues they face)
        and Hitwise for search.

        Michael Feiner
        AEP Convert
        www.aepconvert.com

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "mattjames8080"
        <mattjames8080@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Anybody have experience using Comscore Marketer and Hitwise? Which
        > one would you recommend? I'm mainly into search. They both have
        > similar features (search terms to a website - paid/organic breakdown,
        > websites receiving traffic from a particular term), but Comscore
        > Marketer seems to offer very little compared to Hitwise. I'm not
        even
        > sure what I can do with ComScore Marketer. Any thoughts or
        > experiences?
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        > Matt

      • mattjames8080
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 23, 2008
          Hi Michael,

          Can you elaborate on Hitwise's sample as bias? I thought panel based
          measurement would be more biased. and how does hitwise combine their
          data with demographics?
          Have you also used the Search Term Gap Analysis on Hitwise and found
          it useful?

          Thanks again,
          Matt

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "mfeiner17" <mfeiner17@...> wrote:

          > Hi Matt,
          >

          > I've worked with both comScore and Hitwise. I haven't, however, used
          > the comScore search product.
          >
          > If the main focus is search I would favour Hitwise. Their sample size
          > is significantly larger than comScore which is critical for search
          > (think long tail).
          >
          > Factors to consider: Hitwise's sample is biased reflecting the profile
          > of the ISP customers from which the data is sniffed. Given that
          > Hitwise does not disclose their ISP list it is hard to assess whether
          > these customers are truly reflective of the wider national online
          > audience.
          >
          > I'm very suspicious of Hitwise's demographic data. I think the method
          > they use to merge their (valuable) web measurement data with
          > demographic data is flawed. I would ignore any Hitwise demographic
          > data.
          >
          > comSocre on the other hand would likely face sampling and accuracy
          > issues for less frequent search terms. The data could fluctuate
          > significantly month on month.
          >

          > Disclaimer: I used to work for Nielsen Online. I categorise the big
          > three's greatest strengths as:
          > Nielsen for demographic information, comScore for their global reach
          > (even taking into account the measurement accuracy issues they face)
          > and Hitwise for search.
          >
          > Let me know if you have any other questions.
          >
          > Michael Feiner
          > AEP Convert
          > www.aepconvert.com
          >

          > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "mattjames8080"
          > <mattjames8080@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > Anybody have experience using Comscore Marketer and Hitwise? Which
          > > one would you recommend? I'm mainly into search. They both have
          > > similar features (search terms to a website - paid/organic breakdown,
          > > websites receiving traffic from a particular term), but Comscore
          > > Marketer seems to offer very little compared to Hitwise. I'm not
          > even
          > > sure what I can do with ComScore Marketer. Any thoughts or
          > > experiences?
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance,
          > > Matt

        • Zakrajsek, Scott
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 23, 2008
            Hi Matt-

            I believe the demographic information comes from their partnerships with the ISP, things like gender, age, and postal code. I would imagine that this data is somewhat biased because the information comes from the account holder for the ISP. Thus, if the account is under the father's name, and the rest of the family uses the same computer I would assume some level of bias. However, I've found it to be a great tool in comparing demographics of our site vs. our competitors. Hitwise also collects some data from opt-in panels to get other info around income, etc. There are also partnerships with some customer segmentation vendors (Experian and Claritas) that you can use to segment traffic by what they call "lifestyle"...political views, shopping preferences, and what not.

            The gap analysis tool is my favorite part of Hitwise search. Looking at competitors, there are definite opportunities to discover new keywords especially for sites with smaller search budgets.

            -Scott

            ________________________________

            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>, "mfeiner17" <mfeiner17@...> wrote:

            > Hi Matt,
            >

            > I've worked with both comScore and Hitwise. I haven't, however, used
            > the comScore search product.
            >
            > If the main focus is search I would favour Hitwise. Their sample size
            > is significantly larger than comScore which is critical for search
            > (think long tail).
            >
            > Factors to consider: Hitwise's sample is biased reflecting the profile
            > of the ISP customers from which the data is sniffed. Given that
            > Hitwise does not disclose their ISP list it is hard to assess whether
            > these customers are truly reflective of the wider national online
            > audience.
            >
            > I'm very suspicious of Hitwise's demographic data. I think the method
            > they use to merge their (valuable) web measurement data with
            > demographic data is flawed. I would ignore any Hitwise demographic
            > data.
            >
            > comSocre on the other hand would likely face sampling and accuracy
            > issues for less frequent search terms. The data could fluctuate
            > significantly month on month.
            >

            > Disclaimer: I used to work for Nielsen Online. I categorise the big
            > three's greatest strengths as:
            > Nielsen for demographic information, comScore for their global reach
            > (even taking into account the measurement accuracy issues they face)
            > and Hitwise for search.
            >
            > Let me know if you have any other questions.
            >
            > Michael Feiner
            > AEP Convert
            > www.aepconvert.com
            >

            > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>, "mattjames8080"
            > <mattjames8080@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > Anybody have experience using Comscore Marketer and Hitwise? Which
            > > one would you recommend? I'm mainly into search. They both have
            > > similar features (search terms to a website - paid/organic breakdown,
            > > websites receiving traffic from a particular term), but Comscore
            > > Marketer seems to offer very little compared to Hitwise. I'm not
            > even
            > > sure what I can do with ComScore Marketer. Any thoughts or
            > > experiences?
            > >
            > > Thanks in advance,
            > > Matt

          • mfeiner17
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 26, 2008
              Hi Matt,

              Hitwise uses HTTP packet sniffing that extracts the usage data
              directly from an ISPs network. In other words, it only has access to
              the data from its partner ISPs. This could be a very large sample of
              web users (7-8 million users in the US), however, isn't necessarily
              representative of the US online population.

              For example, if an ISP is geo-biased or audience segment specific
              (e.g. most its customers are home users with little or no corporate
              clients) then the data would be skewed towards those user profiles.
              Another bias I noticed is towards websites affiliated with the main
              ISP/s in the Hitwise network.

              For example, assume AOL is one of Hitwise's biggest ISPs. Given that
              many of AOL customers would have the AOL homepage as their default
              browser page, they are more likely to click through to the AOL fantasy
              football partner FanHouse.

              There is a good likelihood that Hitwise would over estimate FanHouse
              traffic vs other fantasy football sites.

              Hitwise also partners a network of browser plug-in providers. Here too
              it is reasonable to assume there would be a biased towards more savvy
              technically minded (did I say geeks?) web users. Same problem as
              Alexa.

              On their own admission Hitwise has a very small At Work panel, less
              than 1%. This, by the way, is a problem for the panel measurement
              companies as well (no matter what they say). The big corporates are
              very sensitive about being measured.

              The panel measurement companies have much greater control over their
              panel audience because they actually have significant information
              about these people (e.g. demographic data). Both comScore and Nielsen
              recruit their core panel prospects offline via telephone interviews
              (Random Digit Dial method or RDD). They supplement the RDD panel with
              cheaper online recruitment which is not as good "quality" panel but
              helps bolster panel sizes.

              They will then use an enumeration survey to chart the US online
              population and will periodically weigh their panels to match the
              current US online population map.

              These two constantly argue about the validity of each other's
              recruitment methods but in general should have a smaller bias in terms
              of representing the US online population (vs Hitwise).

              As I mentioned above as part of their recruitment process, comScore
              and Nielsen collect demographic data about their panel members. They
              then monitor these members' online behaviour on a 1-to-1 basis.

              This is similar to a registered user login into your site. With the
              right web analytics tool you should be able to track them individually
              and produce a stat such as "50% of traffic to section X is from users
              below that age of 30" (if you initially collected this customer info).

              Hitwise doesn't have this depth of data about their panel members (the
              ISPs are not allowed by law to provide this data to Hitwise without
              opt-in from their customers). It only has their zip/post codes, age
              and gender.

              Hitwise matches credit rating demographic data (from credit scoring
              companies like Experien – which recently acquired Hitwise) per zip
              code with the recorded web data for that zip code.
              In some cases Hitwise also has an opt-in panel but normally very small
              compared to their sample (3%).

              The credit rating data might be comprehensive but isn't always
              indicative. You could have different demographic profiles living under
              the same zip code, especially in densely populated areas.

              Can you accurately tell whether a family comprises of two adults with
              kids with a love for outdoor sports based on a zip code and credit
              rating data?

              I have used the Hitwise Search Term Gap Analysis to mix success. But
              it is more to do with the site I was using it for than being a true
              reflection on the quality of the tool (it was a brand new site).

              Don't get me wrong, this is not to say that the Hitwise data is
              useless. on the contrary, it has many advantages: daily data available
              next data, large search data (for long tail analysis) and wide reach
              (for smaller sites). As with any other data source it has its
              limitations and short comings.

              For search data I'm more inclined to "live" with these data issues.
              I'm assuming that demographics and geo locations would have some
              impact on search patterns. However, I'm not familiar with any
              conclusive research in this area. Would love to hear from anyone that
              does have such research available.

              Hope this helps.

              <mattjames8080@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > and Hitwise for search.
              > >
              > > Let me know if you have any other questions.
              > >
              > > Michael Feiner
              > > AEP Convert
              > > www.aepconvert.com
              > >

              > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "mattjames8080"
              > > <mattjames8080@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi,
              > > >
              > > > Anybody have experience using Comscore Marketer and Hitwise?
              Which
              > > > one would you recommend? I'm mainly into search. They both
              have
              > > > similar features (search terms to a website - paid/organic
              breakdown,
              > > > websites receiving traffic from a particular term), but Comscore
              > > > Marketer seems to offer very little compared to Hitwise. I'm
              not
              > > even
              > > > sure what I can do with ComScore Marketer. Any thoughts or

            • mattjames8080
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 26, 2008
                Thanks Michael. Just another follow-up:

                Hitwise uses percentages as a unit of measurement while ComScore uses
                absolute numbers. Is one better than the other?

                Thanks again in advance.

              • mfeiner17
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 27, 2008
                  Hi Matt,

                  I don't think it is a matter of which unit of measurement is better.
                  It is about understanding what it means and what you intend to do
                  with it.

                  After all, if the underlying data is flawed then both units could be
                  bad.

                  comScore uses absolute numbers because it has an estimate of the
                  entire online population (as I explained in my previous post) and
                  can project each site's traffic against this estimate.

                  Hitwise has a sample of the online population based on the ISPs in
                  its network. However, it cannot project these figures against the
                  overall population. So all it could do is provide a percentage
                  number of their sample data per site. One would hope that their
                  sample is large enough to be representative (+ all the other issues
                  discussed previously).

                  Now ask yourself what would you do if you know that your biggest
                  competitor is getting 1,000,000 visitors per month? Or would it
                  serve you better knowing that your competitor has a 0.5% market
                  share? If you are looking to track trends then the latter might be
                  better (especially as you can track it daily).
                  On the other hand, if your CEO is demanding to know how many
                  visitors came to your competitor's site then a percentage might be
                  insufficient.

                  Not sure this is helpful. As with web analytics data a given metrics
                  could be useful to one organisation and completely useless for
                  another.

                  Regards,
                  Michael

                  <mattjames8080@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > impact on search patterns. However, I'm not familiar with any
                  > > conclusive research in this area. Would love to hear from anyone
                  that
                  > > does have such research available.
                  > >
                  > > Hope this helps.
                  > >
                  > > Michael Feiner
                  > > AEP Convert
                  > > www.aepconvert.com
                  > >

                  > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "mattjames8080"
                  > > <mattjames8080@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hi Michael,
                  > > >
                  > > > Can you elaborate on Hitwise's sample as bias? I thought
                  panel
                  > > based
                  > > > measurement would be more biased. and how does hitwise
                  combine
                  > > their
                  > > > data with demographics?
                  > > > Have you also used the Search Term Gap Analysis on Hitwise and

                • matt_tatham
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 6, 2008
                    Hi Matt,

                    We appreciate your interest in Hitwise. If you would like to learn more
                    about our services please feel free to contact me and I can arrange for
                    a demonstration of our product. There were some questions that came up
                    on this thread that I would like to address.

                    First, Hitwise collects aggregated, non-personally identifiable data
                    from our ISP partners. All our data is weighted based on multiple
                    enumeration studies to remove any biases to ensure that our data is as
                    representative of the online population as possible.

                    Hitwise partners with a wide range of ISPs and opt-in panels, from both
                    metropolitan and regional areas, covering home work and educational
                    usage through its association with corporate and home user-specific
                    ISPs. Due to the confidential nature of our relationships with the
                    suppliers, and to preserve the integrity of the Hitwise sample, like all
                    companies in the measurement space, we cannot disclose the sources of
                    our data. Similarly, panel-based companies would never provide the names
                    and addresses of which households they track.

                    Hitwise does not match credit rating data to our web usage data. Hitwise
                    has not done this nor will we as there are extensive laws and
                    regulations that govern the use of credit data. I believe the person was
                    trying to refer to our MOSIAC segmentation tool. Hitwise worked with
                    Experian, our parent company, to create the MOSAIC segmentation tool
                    that allows clients to better understand the demographics of the
                    visitors to their sites. The demographic information is macro-level and
                    based on aggregated and anonymized data within our broader sample.

                    I encourage you to watch our video
                    <http://www.hitwise.com/products-services/uwmt.html> on how our
                    methodology <http://www.hitwise.com/products-services/uwmt.html> works
                    along with reading how we collect our data
                    <http://www.hitwise.com/products-services/how-we-do-it.php>
                    <http://www.hitwise.com/products-services/how-we-do-it.php> . Again,
                    please feel free to contact me if you are interested in a demonstration
                    or have questions.

                    Best,
                    Matt Tatham
                    Director, Media Relations