Clicks to Bricks

  • gbemibal
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2008
      Hello,

      I would like some advice/suggestions on how to solve a research
      project I am involved in. My company is essentially trying to
      determine the value of branded content search on our website and also
      how many offline retail sales are a result of online searches.

      My company's website is targeted towards children, therefore we
      adhere to rules and guidelines set forth by Children's Online Privacy
      Protection (COPPA) and Children's Advertising Review Unit (CARU). As
      a result, we can not put any information on the content/product sites
      that will advertise products sending the visitors to the Online Shop
      or the offline retail stores. In addition, we have online
      registration but it is not a requirement to be registered before
      purchasing something from the Online Shop. So basically I can choose
      a certain product site and see how many visitors come to the site,
      and I can see how many people bought that product both online and
      offline. I am, however, unable to see how many people who came to
      the product site actually went on to buy from the online shop. Does
      anyone have this kind of challenge and how are you solving it?

      Gbemi Petersen
      Business Analyst
    • londonturu
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2008
        Hi Gbemi,

        First problem. Linking sales on the online store to branded content on
        your site.

        Just a quick check...

        Online store and branded content site are in 2 different domains
        www.storesite.com and www.contentsite.com?

        You can't use links from www.contentsite.com to www.storesite.com

        Assuming these 2 conditions I would do this think of your content site
        as a banner on which you can't do click... that advertises a product
        that can be bought somewhere else...

        What you should do is serve some content in www.contentsite.com with
        and adserver and mark visitor with a cookie in the domain of the
        adserver... then enable conversion tracking on www.storesite.com with
        the same adserver. You probably can do this with openx playing a
        little bit with the setting and the code of the served content. You
        will also have to define a latency period to which a sale can be link
        to a content exposure.

        For your second problem, how to link offline sales to branded content
        site.

        Who buys the product? Kids or Kids' parents?

        Some ideas:

        Instruct your salesmen to:
        1)Ask customers where they found out about the product
        2)Provide big call to actions on content site to print-out product
        pages and instruct your salesmen to watch if customer have this material
        3)Modify product SKUs on the webpage... for example add a W prefix...
        W-originalSKU and instruct your salesmen about this
        4)Provide call to actions for kids to download product mmsheet that
        basically is a MMS with a product picture, sku, description and price?
        can you provide MSRP?

        Any of these situations will trigger a sale to be marked as web a
        originated.

        I will also recommend a correlation analysis between fluctuations on
        web traffic to content site and offline sales or offline customer count.

        Hope this helps!

        cheers Andres

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "gbemibal" <gbemibal@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I would like some advice/suggestions on how to solve a research
        > project I am involved in. My company is essentially trying to
        > determine the value of branded content search on our website and also
        > how many offline retail sales are a result of online searches.
        >
        > My company's website is targeted towards children, therefore we
        > adhere to rules and guidelines set forth by Children's Online Privacy
        > Protection (COPPA) and Children's Advertising Review Unit (CARU). As
        > a result, we can not put any information on the content/product sites
        > that will advertise products sending the visitors to the Online Shop
        > or the offline retail stores. In addition, we have online
        > registration but it is not a requirement to be registered before
        > purchasing something from the Online Shop. So basically I can choose
        > a certain product site and see how many visitors come to the site,
        > and I can see how many people bought that product both online and
        > offline. I am, however, unable to see how many people who came to
        > the product site actually went on to buy from the online shop. Does
        > anyone have this kind of challenge and how are you solving it?
        >
        > Gbemi Petersen
        > Business Analyst

      • James Evans
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 4, 2008
          Hi Gbemi

          The logic in this article;

          Measuring Offline Advertising in Google Analytics
          <http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2008/09/05/measuring-offline-advertisin\
          g-google-analytics/> may work with a little tweaking.

          Just my thoughts. What are yours?

          James Evans
          Nimble Marketing Concepts <http://www.getnimble.com>

          Lets get linked. <http://www.linkedin.com/in/jameseevans>

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "gbemibal" <gbemibal@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I would like some advice/suggestions on how to solve a research
          > project I am involved in. My company is essentially trying to
          > determine the value of branded content search on our website and also
          > how many offline retail sales are a result of online searches.
          >
          > My company's website is targeted towards children, therefore we
          > adhere to rules and guidelines set forth by Children's Online Privacy
          > Protection (COPPA) and Children's Advertising Review Unit (CARU). As
          > a result, we can not put any information on the content/product sites
          > that will advertise products sending the visitors to the Online Shop
          > or the offline retail stores. In addition, we have online
          > registration but it is not a requirement to be registered before
          > purchasing something from the Online Shop. So basically I can choose
          > a certain product site and see how many visitors come to the site,
          > and I can see how many people bought that product both online and
          > offline. I am, however, unable to see how many people who came to
          > the product site actually went on to buy from the online shop. Does
          > anyone have this kind of challenge and how are you solving it?
          >
          > Gbemi Petersen
          > Business Analyst

        • Sameer
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 5, 2008
            Hi,

            The best method to tackle the second problem (how many offline retail
            sales are a result of online searches) is to ask each offline
            customers on how did they hear about the company.

            This simple question at the pos can give you the answer.

            You can also add this question to the offline order form or to the end
            of sale customer satisfaction survey.

            Sameer
            Marketing Manager/Analyst
            Goldbar Enterprise LLC