Re: [webanalytics] Transaction tracking problem: seperating sales in G.A.

  • huber_jared@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 30, 2008
      Jeff,
      Your best bet is probably to create a new profile for the site and set up an 'include' filter for the /xyz subdirectory.

      Another (more scaleable?) solution is to capture the merchant id (here, 'xyz') in one of the unused ecommerce variables using javascript.. If they're all used, you could append the merchant id to the transaction id (123456 becomes xyz:123456).

      Feel free to ping me for specifics. Jhuber at nehmedia.com

      Jared

      Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008
        Hi Jeff,

        I understand you are currently tracking all the traffic to xyzwine.com
        with one GA tag (only one uacct).

        1)If you want to see which transactions came from WAA1, WAA2, WAA3 in
        the ecommerce reports of one profile.

        My recommendation is add the the WAA_id as a prefix to the order_id.

        If you use the deprecated affiliation field (now called store) it
        doesn't show in the reports neither can you used to filter
        transactions and products for a profile. (I tested this a couple of
        months ago, it might have changed). That will allow you to spot
        transactions for each WAA in the reports (you can filter out the
        report with the winery you want to show).

        For products, in case you can have a product sold by two winery I
        would suggest you choose either the sku o name to be unique and append
        the winnery to the other... so if the sku is unique and the name not
        you'll have something like this:

        SKU NAME
        XXXYU WAA1-redwine_YU
        XXXYU WAA2-redwine_YU

        If you want to see all products sold by winery WAA1 you filter out by
        winery string WAA1.

        If you want to see the contribution of each winery to a particular
        product you can filter out by product.

        Another thing you can do is use the category string to store the
        winery... in that way you'll have a consolidated sales report per
        winery...

        If a product by a winery can either be sold directly from the winery
        or from xyzwine.com I will suggest you make this distinction... so
        you'll have something like this:

        category
        WAA1-direct
        WAA1-xyzwine

        2) If you want to have sales for each winery in different profiles.

        There are to ways, you either use a) different uacct on each
        xyzwine.com/WAA shopping cart or b) you send the WAA_id in the
        trans_id then use filters on this field that is shared between
        transactions and products.

        3) If you think a winery will eventually use their own GA code on
        their site and ask you to integrate as a third-party-shopping cart.

        Keep a different set of cookies for visitors coming from each winery.
        To do so check this reference:

        http://code.google.com/apis/analytics/docs/gaJSApi.html#_gat.GA_Tracker_._setCookiePath

        So the code for the shopping cart at xyzwine.com/waa1 should add the
        following line to GA code
        pageTracker._setCookiePath("/waa1").

        Some other considerations will be... to use linker or URL tagging on
        the link from WAAs to xyzwine.com (depends on WAAx using GA or not).

        Cheers,

        Andres

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "amwinery" <jeff@...> wrote:

        > I have tried in vain to answer the following problem regarding proper
        > ecomm tracking.
        >
        > I use G.A. for our company's wine e-commerce site, which I will call
        > xyzwine.com. On xyzwine.com, we offer wines for sale by various
        > wineries that ship directly to the consumer but can all be purchased
        > in one location. All transactions and related processes are handled by
        > the checkout system we built.
        >
        > We have recently launched a third-party shopping cart solution for
        > individual wineries so they can make sales directly from their
        > website, rather than needing to maintain and list their wines on
        > xzywine.com. Now, 'WAA Vineyards' can direct visitors to their site
        > to xyzwine.com/waa where the customer can complete the transaction
        > using the same shopping cart system.
        >
        > I would like to separate the transactions from xyzwine.com/waa and
        > xyzwine.com. Is this possible using Google Analytics? What filters or
        > tweaks to the GATC would I need? Is there a simple solution I have not
        > thought of? Any advice, help, or push in the right direction would be
        > greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Thank you,
        > Jeff Hogg

      • nethab1
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008
          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, huber_jared@... wrote:

          > Jeff,
          > Your best bet is probably to create a new profile for the site and
          set up an 'include' filter for the /xyz subdirectory.

          > Another (more scaleable?) solution is to capture the merchant id
          (here, 'xyz') in one of the unused ecommerce variables using javascript..

          E-commerce transactions don't contain any URL information in order to
          filter against, so you'll have to use a field in the addTrans
          function. The good news is there's already a field available to do
          this called the "Affiliation" field. That field is supposed to be used
          to track which store the transaction is for, and can be used to filter
          transactions.

          More information here:
          http://code.google.com/apis/analytics/docs/gaJSApi.html#_gat.GA_Tracker_._addTrans

        • londonturu
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2008
            Hi nethab,

            Have you tried this?

            I tried some months ago and it didn't work. It only filter (include
            or exclude) transactions, not the products included in the
            transactions.

            Do you know if this is working now?

            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "nethab1" <nethab1@...> wrote:

            > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, huber_jared@ wrote:
            > >
            > > Jeff,
            > > Your best bet is probably to create a new profile for the site and
            > set up an 'include' filter for the /xyz subdirectory.
            > >
            > > Another (more scaleable?) solution is to capture the merchant id
            > (here, 'xyz') in one of the unused ecommerce variables using
            javascript..

            > E-commerce transactions don't contain any URL information in order
            > filter against, so you'll have to use a field in the addTrans
            > function. The good news is there's already a field available to do
            > this called the "Affiliation" field. That field is supposed to be
            used
            > to track which store the transaction is for, and can be used to
            filter
            > transactions.
            >
            > More information here:

            http://code.google.com/apis/analytics/docs/gaJSApi.html#_gat.GA_Tracke
            r_._addTrans

          • nethab1
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 2, 2008
              When you provide a separate store front (/waa) for each "affiliate"
              and use a filter (and the "affiliate" field) to include only
              transactions for that store front in your reports, you're saying you
              were seeing products listed that were not a part of those (filtered)
              transactions?

              In that case the products are filtered using "E-Commerce Item Name",
              "E-commerce Item Code" (aka SKU), and "E-Commerce Item Variation" (aka
              Product Category). You would have to create a filter to include only
              items sold by that company.

              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "londonturu" <londonturu@...> wrote:

              > Hi nethab,
              >
              > Have you tried this?
              >
              > I tried some months ago and it didn't work. It only filter (include
              > or exclude) transactions, not the products included in the
              > transactions.
              >
              > Do you know if this is working now?
              >

              > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "nethab1" <nethab1@> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, huber_jared@ wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Jeff,
              > > > Your best bet is probably to create a new profile for the site and
              > > set up an 'include' filter for the /xyz subdirectory.
              > > >
              > > > Another (more scaleable?) solution is to capture the merchant id
              > > (here, 'xyz') in one of the unused ecommerce variables using
              > javascript..
              > >
              > > E-commerce transactions don't contain any URL information in order
              > > filter against, so you'll have to use a field in the addTrans
              > > function. The good news is there's already a field available to do
              > > this called the "Affiliation" field. That field is supposed to be
              > used
              > > to track which store the transaction is for, and can be used to
              > filter
              > > transactions.
              > >
              > > More information here:
              > >
              > http://code.google.com/apis/analytics/docs/gaJSApi.html#_gat.GA_Tracke
              > r_._addTrans

            • amwinery
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 2, 2008
                Thank you all for the thought and time you put into all of these
                suggestions. I really appreciate it, bonuses for everyone!

                Jeff Hogg

              • londonturu
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 3, 2008
                  Hi nethab... when I did the test some months ago this was what
                  happened...

                  send two trans to google analytics

                  trans1
                  addtrans:trans_id=1,store_id=A,...
                  additem:trans_id=1,product_id=xc,...

                  trans2
                  addtrans:trans_id=2,store_id=B,...
                  additem:trans_id=2,product_id=vc,...

                  configure a filter to include trans_affiliation=A...

                  Ecommerce reports showed

                  2 transactions: 1 and 2, 2 with all its values to zero...

                  Products report showed both products...

                  Repeated the test using

                  trans1
                  addtrans:trans_id=1-A,store_id="",...
                  additem:trans_id=1-A,product_id=xc,...

                  trans2
                  addtrans:trans_id=2-B,store_id="",...
                  additem:trans_id=2-B,product_id=vc,...

                  configure a filter to include trans_id=-A$...

                  Ecommerce reports showed

                  1 transactions: 1-A

                  Products report showed product xc...

                  Maybe I did something wrong... but 6 months ago that was the outcome
                  of my experiment.