Re: Google Analytics conversion discrepancies

  • Hugh
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2008
      Hi Feras

      Thanks for your response. What I should have included in my original
      post is that the total volume of transactions in the Goal is higher
      then that shown in the e-commerce tracking. I think it should at least
      be the other way around.

      Hugh

      http://www.advanced-web-metrics.com/blog/2007/10/23/transactions-v-
      > goal-conversions/, this is especially helpful if you want to use the
      > eCommerce feature in GA for track non-ecommerce transaction (a very cool
      > thing providing very rich data!).
      >
      > Also, I believe Justin Cutroni's eBook,
      > http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596514969/, covers some of these
      techniques
      > as well.
      >
      > Hope you find the above helpful.
      >
      > That is it for the week :), for those of you in the US and Canada
      and other
      > places that celebrate labor day at this time of the year, happy labor
      > day/long weekend!
      >
      > ________________________________
      > Feras Alhlou
      > website: www.e-nor.com
      > blog: www.e-nor.com/blog
      > ________________________________
      >

      > On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 2:53 AM, Hugh <hugh.gage@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > For those who are using GA on e-commerce sites and have GA e-commerce
      > > tracking implemented, has anybody noticed if they are getting
      > > different conversion rates on the e-commerce report compared with
      > > their funnel goals where the goal page for both is exactly the same?
      > >
      > > I have put in a query with GA support but it's gone all quite.
      > >
      > > Hugh

    • tim.lboyce
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1, 2008
        Hi Hugh,

        I realise that I risk creating Fear Anxiety and Doubt in raising this,
        but here goes.

        I wonder whether different processing schedules may apply to
        e-commerce data and page views and if this could have a bearing on
        your question?

        For quite a while now I have noticed how the e-commerce conversion
        rate always looks alarming when I do my daily scoot around various
        profiles first thing in the morning (UK time). In fact, I'd stopped
        looking at it and had formed the impression that it tended to change
        during the course of the day.

        But, by coincidence, this morning before even reading your post I had
        noticed that the figure looked more like the truth on at least one
        site and had lodged a vague thought that things might have improved.

        See what I mean about F.U.D? I feel very wary about even mentioning
        this in case it fuels yet more doubt. Especially when my own first
        attempts to investigate further suggest that I am talking nonsense!

        By the way: my normal analysis is done on weekly figures, compiled on
        a Tuesday, so my impression that there might be a timing issue did not
        cause any problems in my real life. That's why I've never bothered to
        even try to check whether there was any basis for my impression.

        However, as a form of penance for all the confusion I risk causing by
        this post, I've just started a quick bit of investigation.

        I've compared transactions and goals across a random group of half a
        dozen sites, running on 3 different e-commerce platforms (partly to
        make the sample more general and partly to ensure that the data cannot
        be identified). Between them they've done about 1,300 transactions per
        day on the last couple of days. None of these are super-busy, but
        they're not tiny sites either.

        On the 30th all of them reported more e-commerce transactions than
        goals. The overall difference came to 1.2% more. There were variations
        within the group. One was spot on. The worst reported 2% more
        transactions than goals.

        The situation for yesterday (report run just now, 13:30 -- which may
        become relevant) was more varied. The average was 1.7% more
        transactions than goals. Which might appear to knock my theory on the
        head.

        But the variation was much more extreme. In fact some sites DID report
        fewer transactions than goals (2% fewer in one case) and at the other
        extreme one site reported 6% more transactions.

        Of course the real test will be to see whether the numbers have
        changed tomorrow. I will also try to check the data for today earlier
        in the morning and then again in the middle of the day.

        At the moment it looks as if there's nothing here to help throw light
        on your particular case, but I'll report back anyway.

        Tim

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Hugh" <hugh.gage@...> wrote:

        > Hi Feras
        >
        > Thanks for your response. What I should have included in my original
        > post is that the total volume of transactions in the Goal is higher
        > then that shown in the e-commerce tracking. I think it should at least
        > be the other way around.
        >
        > Hugh
        >
        > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Feras Alhlou" <feras@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Hugh,
        > >
        > > It working as designed :). In Google Analytics' goal tracking
        reports, a
        > > visitor can convert only once, i.e. let say your goal is a
        > successful form
        > > submission or ecommerce/sales transaction, and a visitor submitted
        > the form
        > > twice or made two transactions (i.e. converted twice), the goal
        tracking
        > > would count it as one conversion while ecommerce would count it as two
        > > transactions. The logic is that you really can only "convert" a
        > visitor into
        > > a lead/customer once.
        > >
        > > To get more details about this topic, check out the blog post by Brian
        > > Clifton
        > http://www.advanced-web-metrics.com/blog/2007/10/23/transactions-v-
        > > goal-conversions/, this is especially helpful if you want to use the
        > > eCommerce feature in GA for track non-ecommerce transaction (a
        very cool
        > > thing providing very rich data!).
        > >
        > > Also, I believe Justin Cutroni's eBook,
        > > http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596514969/, covers some of these
        > techniques
        > > as well.
        > >
        > > Hope you find the above helpful.
        > >
        > > That is it for the week :), for those of you in the US and Canada
        > and other
        > > places that celebrate labor day at this time of the year, happy labor
        > > day/long weekend!
        > >
        > > ________________________________
        > > Feras Alhlou
        > > website: www.e-nor.com
        > > blog: www.e-nor.com/blog
        > > ________________________________
        > >

        > > On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 2:53 AM, Hugh <hugh.gage@> wrote:
        > >
        > > > Hi,
        > > >
        > > > For those who are using GA on e-commerce sites and have GA
        e-commerce
        > > > tracking implemented, has anybody noticed if they are getting
        > > > different conversion rates on the e-commerce report compared with
        > > > their funnel goals where the goal page for both is exactly the same?
        > > >
        > > > I have put in a query with GA support but it's gone all quite.
        > > >
        > > > Hugh

      • Feras Alhlou
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 1, 2008
          Hi Hugh,

          Yes, I would think it would be the other way around. Could it be that the
          goal page (e.g. the "check out completion or thank you" page) is referenced
          elsewhere? Or maybe the goal match type is allowing other pages to be
          counted as goals? You might want to verify that in the Top Content Report,
          and use the URI in the report filter (and any regular expression settings
          that you might have) and then examine the results, the number of unique
          pageviews you see should match the the number of conversions, if you see
          pages other than your goal page, that might be the cause of this issue.

          thanks,
          feras

        • Hugh
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 2, 2008
            Hi Tim,

            Firstly at least it's not just me, so F.U.D. slightly relieved.

            On the scheduling issue, I am certain that GA has a latency issue with
            goals and I have stopped taking the previous day's goal data seriously
            until at least a full 18 hrs has elapsed since the end of the
            reporting day in question.

            Thinking about the analysis you are doing I have just downloaded
            weekly goal and e-commerce conversion data on one of my clients from
            w/c 6th July to w/e 30th Aug so hopefully all scheduling / latency
            issues will have been eliminated. Looking at the data in each week
            over the course of that period, goal conversion is higher than
            e-commerce conversion by an average of 2.6% (not percentage points).

            As mentioned by Brian Clifton in his post
            (http://www.advanced-web-metrics.com/blog/2007/10/23/transactions-v-goal-conversions/)
            I would expect if anything e-commerce to be higher than goals.

            It's interesting that your test on the 30th showed more transactions
            than goals in all cases. I wonder if there is some other tracking
            issue between the two perhaps related to the tagging process or if the
            issues just vary from site to site.

            I'd be interested in anything else you unearth.

            Hugh

            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "tim.lboyce" <tim.lboyce@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > visitor into
            > > > a lead/customer once.
            > > >
            > > > To get more details about this topic, check out the blog post by
            Brian
            > > > Clifton
            > > http://www.advanced-web-metrics.com/blog/2007/10/23/transactions-v-
            > > > goal-conversions/, this is especially helpful if you want to use the
            > > > eCommerce feature in GA for track non-ecommerce transaction (a
            > very cool
            > > > thing providing very rich data!).
            > > >
            > > > Also, I believe Justin Cutroni's eBook,
            > > > http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596514969/, covers some of these
            > > techniques
            > > > as well.
            > > >
            > > > Hope you find the above helpful.
            > > >
            > > > That is it for the week :), for those of you in the US and Canada
            > > and other
            > > > places that celebrate labor day at this time of the year, happy

          • Hugh
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 2, 2008
              Hi Feras,

              Tried all that already, UPVs match goals so I would expect that to be
              the most accurate result. Also, especially given that analytics tools
              often under report actual sales when compared with in house data.

              I'm beginning to think it's either an issue with the way in which
              e-commerce tracking was set up or something at Google's end. Not sure
              I can do much about the latter.

            • londonturu
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 2, 2008
                Hi,

                Just checking. Can visitors come back to the transaction confirmation
                page?

                Either with a link you provide or bookmarking the content(copying the
                URL).

                If that can happen? How do you handle _trackPageview() and _trackTrans
                ()?

                Is it possible that you're calling _trackPageview() but not trackTrans
                ()?

                Cheers,

                Andrés

              • Tim Leighton-Boyce
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 3, 2008
                  Hi Hugh,
                  I now have several days worth of data to consider.

                  First I have confirmed for myself that there certainly is a latency issue,
                  as well all knew already. I saw a 38% increase in goals for 31 August
                  between reports run on 01 and 02 September and a 36% increase in
                  transactions. The counts did not increase in the reports run on the 3rd day
                  (today)

                  The figures for 01 September showed slightly smaller increases between day 1
                  and day 2 -- 29% for goals and 31% for transactions.

                  Returning to your main point now: once the figures had stabilised my overall
                  group showed that number of transactions was slightly more than goals: 1.2%
                  for the 30th and 0.47% for the 31st.

                  The difference for September 1st was 1.29% -- of course I cannot yet confirm
                  that figure will not change by tomorrow, but I suspect that it will not. I
                  mention the September 1st figure only because it does contain a single
                  instance where one of the sites did 'settle' showing fewer transactions that
                  goals. About 1% fewer.

                  It looks to me as if I am confirming what others have suggested would be the
                  case and not what you're experiencing yourself. So it's of no help. But it
                  was certainly an interesting exercise and I'm glad to have done it since it
                  confirms, in my opinion, that the system is performing very well given the
                  inherent limitations of the technology. I'm always pleasantly surprised by
                  how accurate it is. Of course these figures have not been cross-checked
                  against the back end systems for these sites. It's been a while since I went
                  down that painful road, but when I did we used to run with a discrepancy of
                  less than 3%, I think.

                  Tim

                • Hugh
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 4, 2008
                    Hi Andreas,

                    this is an interesting point and one which I don't, unfortunately,
                    have immediate visibility of. I'll check it out. I do wonder, if that
                    was the case would the difference between e-commerce tracking and
                    goals be even greater - currently it's 2.5% greater for goals.

                    The UPVs and goals match exactly so I'm thinking that there may be a
                    slight issue with the e-commerce tracking. On the site I'm thinking of
                    the in-house team had some difficulties with e-commerce tracking
                    earlier in the year.

                    Thanks for your thoughts

                    Hugh

                    --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "londonturu" <londonturu@...>
                    wrote:

> [...]
                    > > > that you might have) and then examine the results, the number of
                    > unique
                    > > > pageviews you see should match the the number of conversions, if
                    > you see
                    > > > pages other than your goal page, that might be the cause of this
                    > issue.
                    > > >
                    > > > thanks,
                    > > > feras

                    > original
                    > higher
                    > at least

                    > 40yahoogroups.com>,

                    > > reports, a
                    > submitted
                    > goal
                    > > tracking
                    > it
                    > > as two

                    > by
                    > > Brian
                    > metrics.com/blog/2007/10/23/transactions-v-

                  • Hugh
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 4, 2008
                      Hi Tim,

                      I appreciate your thoughts and investigation. I'm increasingly
                      beginning to think it may be a unique issue down to tagging -
                      something I'll need to check with the client.

                      At least it was a worthwhile exercise for you.

                      Hope all is well.

                      Hugh

                      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Leighton-Boyce"
                      <tim.lboyce@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > > > fewer transactions than goals (2% fewer in one case) and at the
                      other
                      > > > extreme one site reported 6% more transactions.
                      > > >
                      > > > Of course the real test will be to see whether the numbers have
                      > > > changed tomorrow. I will also try to check the data for today
                      earlier
                      > > > in the morning and then again in the middle of the day.
                      > > >
                      > > > At the moment it looks as if there's nothing here to help throw
                      light
                      > > > on your particular case, but I'll report back anyway.
                      > > >
                      > > > Tim
                      > > >

                      > > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com
                      <webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>,

                      <webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>,

                      > > > reports, a
                      > > > tracking
                      > > as two

                      > > Brian
                      metrics.com/blog/2007/10/23/transactions-v-

                    • Hugh
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 8, 2008
                        Hi Andreas,

                        Just to let you know, looked into this, made a fix and it seems to be
                        working. Thanks for your thoughts.