Introduction & data strategy

  • Bob Page
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2004
      Many familiar names and faces here ...

      Just wanted to say hi. I joined the group today, on Eric's suggestion.

      I was co-founder/CTO at Accrue Software. I left the web analytics
      business three years ago except for re-joining as Accrue's part-time
      CTO in 2003.

      I haven't been through the list archives in detail but I'm interested
      in knowing your organization's data strategy - whatever that term
      means in your business. Do you have requirements and design documents
      spelling out what data is required, how/when to collect it, how it's
      merged, stored, analyzed, backed up, and what the costs & benefits
      are? If so, how long have you had the strategy in place? If not, why
      not?

      I realize that 'data strategy' as presented here is a bit low-level,
      as opposed to requirements for KPIs or other high-level business
      information. I also realize that the KPIs drive the low-level
      implementation. I'm curious about the strategic and operational
      aspects of the data lifecycle and how a strategy emerges from it.