What is a good tool/methodology to audit a large site for tags?

  • markgowest
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 21, 2008
      I'm starting a new job with a big, complicated site, and want to get a
      handle on its data collection strengths and weaknesses. Any suggestions?
    • Nick Arnett
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 21, 2008
        On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 7:12 AM, markgowest <mark.toronto@...> wrote:

        > I'm starting a new job with a big, complicated site, and want to get a
        > handle on its data collection strengths and weaknesses. Any suggestions?

        I have the same issue, very large sites, and based on somebody's suggestion
        here, I'm trying out Web Link Validator from REL Software. The eval
        version is limited to 500 links, which makes it fairly hard for me to really
        see if it will do what I want.

        I'm trying to figure out first how I would convince it to crawl the site and
        only log pages that don't contain GA tags. Just got started with it.

        Nick

      • Evans, Tim
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 21, 2008
          wrote:

          >> I'm starting a new job with a big, complicated site, and want to get
          >> handle on its data collection strengths and weaknesses. Any
          suggestions?

          >I have the same issue, very large sites, and based on somebody's
          suggestion
          >here, I'm trying out Web Link Validator from REL Software. The eval
          >version is limited to 500 links, which makes it fairly hard for me to
          really
          >see if it will do what I want.

          You might want to look at Maxamine (now has a new name "Digital
          Diagnostics," since it's been acquired by Accenture);
          http://www.accenture.com/Global/Consulting/Marketing_and_Sales_Effective
          ness/maxamine
          --
          Tim Evans | tim.evans@...
          Social Security Administration | (410) 965-4217
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 21, 2008
            On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 1:00 PM, Evans, Tim <tim.evans@...> wrote:

            > You might want to look at Maxamine (now has a new name "Digital
            > Diagnostics," since it's been acquired by Accenture);
            > http://www.accenture.com/Global/Consulting/Marketing_and_Sales_Effective
            > ness/maxamine

            Do they have a tool available? That appeared to me to be a service, not a
            product. A service wouldn't work for us, given how many large sites we
            operate.

            Nick

          • Stephane Hamel
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 21, 2008
              (disclaimer: I'm the WASP creator)

              In terms of quality assurance of tags implementation, you have very
              few alternatives, but that's something I'm looking into:

              - As other have suggested, you can look at Maxamine.
              - If the site is using Google Analytics, you can have a look at
              SiteScanGA from Epikone. However, it will only see whatever is indexed
              by Google.
              - You could use debugging proxies and such... but that's not really
              realistic!

              Then I invite you to look at WASP (http://wasp.immeria.net), although
              still in beta, the v1.0 will be able to crawl large sites (tested up
              to 30,000 pages in a single crawl so far) and get back with missing
              tags, values being sent, duplicate page titles, and a couple more
              details. It works with virtually all web analytics vendors, can scan
              intranets, development sites, secured areas, forms and transactions
              (although this step must be done manually for now), etc.

              I'm looking for some good case studies, so if you (or someone else
              reading this) want to participate let me know.

              Stephane Hamel
              http://immeria.net

              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "markgowest" <mark.toronto@...>
              wrote:

              > I'm starting a new job with a big, complicated site, and want to get a
              > handle on its data collection strengths and weaknesses. Any
              suggestions?

            • alexbrasil489
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 22, 2008
                I know I continually sound like a grep cheerleader, but if one had
                access to the actual server, could you not literally download the
                entire site to a local machine, then do a grep for the relevant text?

                Could tell it to both do a match, or output the files that don't have
                a certain pattern of text. I know I've used grep before to determine
                which files on a server have or do not have a certain string of code.

                --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Stephane Hamel" <shamel67@...>
                wrote:

                > (disclaimer: I'm the WASP creator)
                >
                > In terms of quality assurance of tags implementation, you have very
                > few alternatives, but that's something I'm looking into:
                >
                > - As other have suggested, you can look at Maxamine.
                > - If the site is using Google Analytics, you can have a look at
                > SiteScanGA from Epikone. However, it will only see whatever is indexed
                > by Google.
                > - You could use debugging proxies and such... but that's not really
                > realistic!
                >
                > Then I invite you to look at WASP (http://wasp.immeria.net), although
                > still in beta, the v1.0 will be able to crawl large sites (tested up
                > to 30,000 pages in a single crawl so far) and get back with missing
                > tags, values being sent, duplicate page titles, and a couple more
                > details. It works with virtually all web analytics vendors, can scan
                > intranets, development sites, secured areas, forms and transactions
                > (although this step must be done manually for now), etc.
                >
                > I'm looking for some good case studies, so if you (or someone else
                > reading this) want to participate let me know.
                >
                > Stephane Hamel
                > http://immeria.net
                >
                > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "markgowest" <mark.toronto@>
                > wrote:
                > >

                > > I'm starting a new job with a big, complicated site, and want to get a
                > > handle on its data collection strengths and weaknesses. Any
                > suggestions?

              • Evans, Tim
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 22, 2008
                  >Do they have a tool available? That appeared to me to be a service, not a
                  >product. A service wouldn't work for us, given how many large sites we
                  >operate.

                  It is a software product.

                • romanojon
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 22, 2008
                    [Moderator's note: Daniel is the founder of Wicked Sciences, which he discusses below]

                    Good Morning,

                    I don't want to come across as pushing to hard on these, however, its a subject that keeps coming up. Stephane's WASP <http://immeria.net>
                    (immeria) and EpikOne's SiteScan <http://sitescanga.com> are both very
                    useful for identification and implementation moderation. If these won't
                    work, maybe Wicked Sciences can help.

                    Wicked Sciences (which, for disclosure, is my company) is marketing a
                    web analytics implementation audit called SureThing
                    <http://wickedsciences.com/solutions/surething-analytics-audit/> .
                    We've tested it against Omniture implementations to assure completeness
                    and return results on variables being collected. CableOrganizer.com
                    uses it still and its in our queue to begin making it both more
                    accessible and more versatile.

                    Because we're so busy trying to deal with our conversion improvement
                    <http://wickedsciences.com/solutions/precognitive-search/> and
                    call-center measurment technologies
                    <http://wickedsciences.com/solutions/session-foresite/> , its taken a
                    bit of a back seat. Its being used and the results are valuable.
                    However, if anyone wants to give it a try on a sample on large sites and
                    give us some feedback, we're more than willing to cooperate on pricing.
                    We're also interested in trying out other solutions.

                    Our system is an audit crawler which uses a separate technology from the
                    google index or sitemap.

                    Please feel free to write or call to ask questions or get help to
                    validate your implementations.

                    Daniel Shields
                    Founder/Chief Analyst
                    Wicked Business Sciences
                    http://wickedsciences.com <http://wickedsciences.com>
                    CALL: 877-618-7078
                    wrote:

                    > (disclaimer: I'm the WASP creator)
                    >
                    > In terms of quality assurance of tags implementation, you have very
                    > few alternatives, but that's something I'm looking into:
                    >
                    > - As other have suggested, you can look at Maxamine.
                    > - If the site is using Google Analytics, you can have a look at
                    > SiteScanGA from Epikone. However, it will only see whatever is indexed
                    > by Google.
                    > - You could use debugging proxies and such... but that's not really
                    > realistic!
                    >
                    > Then I invite you to look at WASP (http://wasp.immeria.net), although
                    > still in beta, the v1.0 will be able to crawl large sites (tested up
                    > to 30,000 pages in a single crawl so far) and get back with missing
                    > tags, values being sent, duplicate page titles, and a couple more
                    > details. It works with virtually all web analytics vendors, can scan
                    > intranets, development sites, secured areas, forms and transactions
                    > (although this step must be done manually for now), etc.
                    >
                    > I'm looking for some good case studies, so if you (or someone else
                    > reading this) want to participate let me know.
                    >
                    > Stephane Hamel
                    > http://immeria.net
                    >
                    > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "markgowest" mark.toronto@
                    > wrote:
                    > >

                    > > I'm starting a new job with a big, complicated site, and want to get
                    > > handle on its data collection strengths and weaknesses. Any
                    > suggestions?

                  • Thom Rogers
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 22, 2008
                      Alex,

                      Please know you are not alone in your love of grep. I've also had serious
                      relationships with sed and awk which while satisfying for the moment at
                      hand, just didn't provide the reliable got-your-back quality of grep.

                      Thom

                      wrote:

                      > (disclaimer: I'm the WASP creator)
                      >
                      > In terms of quality assurance of tags implementation, you have very
                      > few alternatives, but that's something I'm looking into:
                      >
                      > - As other have suggested, you can look at Maxamine.
                      > - If the site is using Google Analytics, you can have a look at
                      > SiteScanGA from Epikone. However, it will only see whatever is indexed
                      > by Google.
                      > - You could use debugging proxies and such... but that's not really
                      > realistic!
                      >
                      > Then I invite you to look at WASP (http://wasp.immeria.net), although
                      > still in beta, the v1.0 will be able to crawl large sites (tested up
                      > to 30,000 pages in a single crawl so far) and get back with missing
                      > tags, values being sent, duplicate page titles, and a couple more
                      > details. It works with virtually all web analytics vendors, can scan
                      > intranets, development sites, secured areas, forms and transactions
                      > (although this step must be done manually for now), etc.
                      >
                      > I'm looking for some good case studies, so if you (or someone else
                      > reading this) want to participate let me know.
                      >
                      > Stephane Hamel
                      > http://immeria.net
                      >
                      > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "markgowest" <mark.toronto@>
                      > wrote:
                      > >

                      > > I'm starting a new job with a big, complicated site, and want to get a
                      > > handle on its data collection strengths and weaknesses. Any
                      > suggestions?

                    • Debbie Pascoe
                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 22, 2008
                        Tim, thanks for that recommendation :-)

                        Nick,
                        Maxamine Knowledge Platform (now Accenture Digital Diagnostics Engine)
                        is sold as a software package and as a SaaS (server is hosted by us
                        and customers log in remotely to use the software). In addition to
                        validating tag implementations, the software analyzes for
                        accessibility, privacy, link quality, and "findability" (how
                        well-equipped is the site to achieve good natural search placement).

                        As my friend Stephane correctly points out, there are not a lot of
                        companies in this space. The challenge of analyzing site structures
                        is a complex one, and the stakes rise as the sites get more complex.
                        As an example, we are beginning to see all-flash sites with tags
                        embedded in the mod and companies want to be able to validate those.

                        Mark, please contact me offline if you want more info.

                        Debbie Pascoe
                        Accenture Marketing Sciences
                        http://weblog.maxamine.com

                        > Do they have a tool available? That appeared to me to be a service,
                        not a
                        > product. A service wouldn't work for us, given how many large sites we
                        > operate.
                        >
                        > Nick

                      • Stephane Hamel
                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 22, 2008
                          Interesting thought:
                          > I know I continually sound like a grep cheerleader, but if one had
                          > access to the actual server, could you not literally download the
                          > entire site to a local machine, then do a grep for the relevant text?

                          (note: my answer was getting long! so I posted more details at
                          http://blog.immeria.net/2008/08/wasp-good-tool-to-audit-site-tags.html)

                          That would be a very poor guy's way of doing quality assurance! It
                          would only tell you the source code is there, but wouldn't guarantee
                          you it works and is actually sending the right data.

                          As you can see in a case study I made with SiteCatalyst
                          (http://blog.immeria.net/2008/08/wasp-case-study-sitecatalyst.html),
                          you would simply not be able to find if you don't actually load the
                          page and run the code.

                          Another example: someone suggested that since most sites are based on
                          templates (CMS, ecommerce catalogues, etc.), why not use a tool
                          (WASP!) to check just one page of each template?

                          - "you don't know what you don't know": ask anyone if all their pages
                          are tagged, they will usually say "yes"... WASP often tells otherwise
                          by crawling all pages and finding whole sections that were missed

                          - "all pages using a template are alike": yes and no. Since tags are
                          often populated automatically from the template, there might be cases
                          where unexpected values are set (special characters, blanks, missing
                          values, etc.). Usually, the person who controls the template is not
                          the same as the one who populates it with data... so chances of errors
                          are significant.

                          Stéphane Hamel
                          Blog: http://immeria.net
                          WASP: http://wasp.immeria.net

                          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "alexbrasil489" <alexbrasil@...>
                          wrote:

                          > I know I continually sound like a grep cheerleader, but if one had
                          > access to the actual server, could you not literally download the
                          > entire site to a local machine, then do a grep for the relevant text?
                          >
                          > Could tell it to both do a match, or output the files that don't have
                          > a certain pattern of text. I know I've used grep before to determine
                          > which files on a server have or do not have a certain string of code.
                          >
                          > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Stephane Hamel" <shamel67@>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > (disclaimer: I'm the WASP creator)
                          > >
                          > > In terms of quality assurance of tags implementation, you have very
                          > > few alternatives, but that's something I'm looking into:
                          > >
                          > > - As other have suggested, you can look at Maxamine.
                          > > - If the site is using Google Analytics, you can have a look at
                          > > SiteScanGA from Epikone. However, it will only see whatever is indexed
                          > > by Google.
                          > > - You could use debugging proxies and such... but that's not really
                          > > realistic!
                          > >
                          > > Then I invite you to look at WASP (http://wasp.immeria.net), although
                          > > still in beta, the v1.0 will be able to crawl large sites (tested up
                          > > to 30,000 pages in a single crawl so far) and get back with missing
                          > > tags, values being sent, duplicate page titles, and a couple more
                          > > details. It works with virtually all web analytics vendors, can scan
                          > > intranets, development sites, secured areas, forms and transactions
                          > > (although this step must be done manually for now), etc.
                          > >
                          > > I'm looking for some good case studies, so if you (or someone else
                          > > reading this) want to participate let me know.
                          > >
                          > > Stephane Hamel
                          > > http://immeria.net
                          > >
                          > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "markgowest" <mark.toronto@>
                          > > wrote:
                          > > >

                          > > > I'm starting a new job with a big, complicated site, and want to
                          get a
                          > > > handle on its data collection strengths and weaknesses. Any
                          > > suggestions?

                        • Nick Arnett
                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 22, 2008
                            On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 2:29 AM, alexbrasil489 <alexbrasil@...>wrote:

                            > I know I continually sound like a grep cheerleader, but if one had
                            > access to the actual server, could you not literally download the
                            > entire site to a local machine, then do a grep for the relevant text?

                            This only works if the content and tags are stored in files. Even slightly
                            large or complex sites will typically add tags dynamically, using a system
                            that allows headers and footers to be customized, which is where tagging
                            often gets messed up. Validation tools essentially are QA for the system
                            that produces the pages.

                            You wouldn't really want to do it another way, since the whole point is to
                            validate the system output.

                            Nick

                          • Nick Arnett
                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 22, 2008
                              On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 6:43 AM, Evans, Tim <tim.evans@...> wrote:

                              > >Do they have a tool available? That appeared to me to be a service, not a
                              > >product. A service wouldn't work for us, given how many large sites we
                              > >operate.
                              >
                              > It is a software product.

                              If so, they have done an excellent job of concealing any information about
                              how to buy it. I just looked again and all I see are references to it being
                              a service.

                              Accenture is a consulting services company, so I was a bit surprised at the
                              idea that they would sell a software tool.

                              Nick

                            • Stuart Taylor
                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 26, 2008
                                Its a +1 for grep from me too.

                                However, grep wont work where you tag implementation relies upon the
                                browser to execute included JS especially where that JS is generated
                                on the fly. While i have had some success using perl (still using
                                regex as the engine) to overcome the problem, products like WASP have
                                the edge because they run in browser.

                                It was for that reason that we purchased Maxamine (I'm surprised
                                Debbie hasn't been along yet).

                                Stuart.

                                --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Thom Rogers" <thomrogers@...> wrote:

                                > Alex,
                                >
                                > Please know you are not alone in your love of grep. I've also had
                                serious
                                > relationships with sed and awk which while satisfying for the moment at
                                > hand, just didn't provide the reliable got-your-back quality of grep.
                                >
                                > Thom

                              • Debbie Pascoe
                                Message 15 of 22 , Aug 26, 2008
                                  Hi Stuart,
                                  I don't need to say much when we have people like you and Tim out
                                  there :-)

                                  BTW, we are about to release the next version - a major release, lots
                                  of cool new stuff - be watching your in-box in the next few weeks.

                                  I see you're using some flash - are you tagging inside the mod?

                                  Best,
                                  Deb

                                  --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Stuart Taylor"
                                  <stuart.taylor@...> wrote:

                                  > Its a +1 for grep from me too.
                                  >
                                  > However, grep wont work where you tag implementation relies upon the
                                  > browser to execute included JS especially where that JS is generated
                                  > on the fly. While i have had some success using perl (still using
                                  > regex as the engine) to overcome the problem, products like WASP have
                                  > the edge because they run in browser.
                                  >
                                  > It was for that reason that we purchased Maxamine (I'm surprised
                                  > Debbie hasn't been along yet).
                                  >
                                  > Stuart.
                                  >

                                  > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Thom Rogers" <thomrogers@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Alex,
                                  > >
                                  > > Please know you are not alone in your love of grep. I've also had
                                  > serious
                                  > > relationships with sed and awk which while satisfying for the
                                  moment at
                                  > > hand, just didn't provide the reliable got-your-back quality of grep.
                                  > >
                                  > > Thom

                                • Stephane Hamel
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Aug 26, 2008
                                    > products like WASP have the edge because they run in browser.

                                    Hey! Thanks Stuart :)

                                    Stéphane
                                    http://immeria.net
                                  • alexbrasil489
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Aug 26, 2008
                                      Nick/Stephen, fair enough, even the mighty grep meets its match from
                                      time to time :)

                                      Alex

                                      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Arnett" <narnett@...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 2:29 AM, alexbrasil489
                                      <alexbrasil@...>wrote:

                                      > > I know I continually sound like a grep cheerleader, but if one
                                      had
                                      > > access to the actual server, could you not literally download the
                                      > > entire site to a local machine, then do a grep for the relevant
                                      text?

                                      > This only works if the content and tags are stored in files. Even
                                      slightly
                                      > large or complex sites will typically add tags dynamically, using a
                                      system
                                      > that allows headers and footers to be customized, which is where
                                      tagging
                                      > often gets messed up. Validation tools essentially are QA for the
                                      system
                                      > that produces the pages.
                                      >
                                      > You wouldn't really want to do it another way, since the whole
                                      point is to
                                      > validate the system output.
                                      >
                                      > Nick

                                    • Nick Arnett
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Aug 26, 2008
                                        On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 7:12 AM, Debbie Pascoe <dpascoe@...> wrote:

                                        > Mark, please contact me offline if you want more info.

                                        I am interested and tried contacting you off-line at the address above, but
                                        the email bounced, saying that all the Maxamine addresses are no longer
                                        valid... I think you'll have to contact me off-line.

                                        Nick

                                      • Debbie Pascoe
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Aug 26, 2008
                                          Nick,
                                          You are correct - we have shut down the Maxamine email server and
                                          everyone has transitioned over to their new addresses. I tried to
                                          update my email address in my profile here, but am having an issue
                                          figuring out why it's not showing up in the info visible to the group.
                                          For reference, my new address is debra.a.pascoe@....

                                          Deb

                                          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Arnett" <narnett@...> wrote:

                                          > On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 7:12 AM, Debbie Pascoe <dpascoe@...> wrote:
                                          > >

                                          > > Mark, please contact me offline if you want more info.
                                          > >

                                          > I am interested and tried contacting you off-line at the address
                                          above, but
                                          > the email bounced, saying that all the Maxamine addresses are no longer
                                          > valid... I think you'll have to contact me off-line.
                                          >
                                          > Nick

                                        • "Wandering" Dave Rhee
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Aug 27, 2008
                                            An FYI reminder to all -- if you want to edit the settings for how you
                                            receive posts from this group (for example, change from individual
                                            messages to a daily digest, or change the email address you receive
                                            them at), the easiest way is to do it from the Yahoo! web interface at
                                            http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/webanalytics/

                                            Just below the top banner ad, click on the "Edit Membership" link,
                                            which lets you enter or select a different email address.

                                            Forum moderators here can change how you receive the message (e.g.,
                                            switch to digest mode), but it's a bit of a pain. We're happy to help
                                            if you're having trouble doing it yourself, though. An email to
                                            webanalytics-moderators@yahoogroups.com will be seen by the whole
                                            moderator team.

                                            WDave Rhee, Moderator

                                            On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 7:21 AM, Debbie Pascoe <dpascoe@...> wrote:
                                            > Nick,
                                            > You are correct - we have shut down the Maxamine email server and
                                            > everyone has transitioned over to their new addresses. I tried to
                                            > update my email address in my profile here, but am having an issue
                                            > figuring out why it's not showing up in the info visible to the group.
                                            > For reference, my new address is debra.a.pascoe@....
                                            >
                                            > Deb
                                            >
                                            > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Arnett" <narnett@...> wrote:
                                            >>
                                            >> On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 7:12 AM, Debbie Pascoe <dpascoe@...> wrote:
                                            >> >

                                            >> > Mark, please contact me offline if you want more info.
                                            >> >

                                            >> I am interested and tried contacting you off-line at the address
                                            > above, but
                                            >> the email bounced, saying that all the Maxamine addresses are no longer
                                            >> valid... I think you'll have to contact me off-line.
                                            >>
                                            >> Nick

                                          • milesbennett78
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Aug 28, 2008
                                              Stephane,

                                              Is there a way WASP can crawl a site and record all the parameters by
                                              page?

                                              Miles

                                              wrote:

                                              > > products like WASP have the edge because they run in browser.
                                              >
                                              > Hey! Thanks Stuart :)
                                              >
                                              > Stéphane
                                              > http://immeria.net

                                            • Stephane Hamel
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Aug 28, 2008
                                                Hi Miles,
                                                the current release (v0.53) still have some bugs with the crawling
                                                process, but the next one (v0.60) has undergone extensive improvements:
                                                - Use a lite weight database to hold the crawl data
                                                - Breakdown of tags by pages
                                                - More robust crawling: automatically bypass alert(), confirm(),
                                                print(), download dialogs, skip authentication prompts, etc.
                                                - Improved export to CSV, XML and sitemap.xml
                                                - Improved built-in data browser (but still the area that needs
                                                improvements!)
                                                - A bunch of bug fixes... (hey! it's still beta after all!)
                                                - Couple of new tools being detected

                                                I'm currently doing more extensive tests on larger sites using
                                                different tools and so far, it's working great.

                                                The next release should be available around September 8th.

                                                Cheers,
                                                Stéphane
                                                http://immeria.net