Re: Anybody out there working with an Omniture Genesis DFA Implementation?

  • scout813
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
      Hi Andy:

      I don't have a response to your question, unfortunately. I was
      perusing the Yahoo WA group for info on the very same topic.

      Wondering if you got any useful responses that you could share? I am
      the Web Analyst for Team One on Lexus.com site. I have tried to sell
      through Genesis to Lexus in the past. We just need to determine value
      relative to cost/benefit.

      And, did you decide to move forward with the integration?

      Thank you in advance for any info you might provide.

      Best regards,
      Cindy Robinson
      Interactive Analyst
      Team One

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Fisher" <andy.fisher@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi
      >
      > We have a couple of clients considering implementing Genesis to connect
      > their Omniture and DFA data . Is there anyone on the list who has
      > experience with this integration and would care to comment on the
      > success of these integrations?
      >
      > Specifically looking for
      > 1) Ease of integration
      > 2) Discrepancies between the results in the Omniture console vs the DART
      > console
      > 3) The reliability of the calls to the DFA server within the Omniture
      > javascript
      > 4) Overall impression of the integration
      >
      > Please feel free to reply on or off list.
      >
      > Many thanks
      > Andy
      >

      > Andy Fisher | Analytics Director | Avenue A Razorfish | direct 212
      > 798 6729

    • Andy Fisher
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
        Unfortunately, I was unable to find an example of someone using Genesis
        with Doubleclick. I talked to folks at Omniture, Doubleclick and within
        the web analytics community. So if there is anyone out there who is
        using it and you'd like to share your thoughts, please give me a shout.

        Andy

        I don't have a response to your question, unfortunately. I was
        perusing the Yahoo WA group for info on the very same topic.

        Wondering if you got any useful responses that you could share? I am
        the Web Analyst for Team One on Lexus.com site. I have tried to sell
        through Genesis to Lexus in the past. We just need to determine value
        relative to cost/benefit.

        And, did you decide to move forward with the integration?

        Thank you in advance for any info you might provide.

        Best regards,
        Cindy Robinson
        Interactive Analyst
        Team One

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com
        <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com> , "Andy Fisher"
        <andy.fisher@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > We have a couple of clients considering implementing Genesis to
        connect
        > their Omniture and DFA data . Is there anyone on the list who has
        > experience with this integration and would care to comment on the
        > success of these integrations?
        >
        > Specifically looking for
        > 1) Ease of integration
        > 2) Discrepancies between the results in the Omniture console vs the
        DART
        > console
        > 3) The reliability of the calls to the DFA server within the Omniture
        > javascript
        > 4) Overall impression of the integration
        >
        > Please feel free to reply on or off list.
        >
        > Many thanks
        > Andy
        >

        > Andy Fisher | Analytics Director | Avenue A Razorfish | direct 212
        > 798 6729

      • Praveen kumar
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
          It has been announced that Google and Yahoo will start crawling FLASH.

          http://cpraveen.com/blog/now-flash-websites-can-be-crawled-and-indexed-by-google-and-yahoo-hurray/

          So we can start seeing more traffic from Google and Yahoo to the flash sites on our analytic tools  :)

          Thanks,
          Praveen Kumar C
          Internet Marketing Survival
          http://www.cpraveen.com/blog

        • Sean Carlos
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 2, 2008
            Actually what Google has announced is significant improvements to
            their ability to extract information, specifically text and links,
            from Flash objects. They already crawled and extracted information
            from Flash only sites - this is nothing new (Ref [1])!

            Before site architects and designers rush off to develop Flash only
            websites, they should still consider:

            * Flash only websites are missing the full semantic richness various
            html tags provide Search Engines for the indexing and ranking process.
            Flash is a poor substitute to html.

            * Flash only websites don't usually provide unique URLs for different
            site "pages", necessary for bookmarking, sharing links, inbound
            linking, detailed web analytics tracking....

            * Flash sites are almost always slower to load - the browser has to
            load the flash player (or worse, ask that it be installed), then load
            the entire site or section of site contained in the flash object.

            A more detailed description of the problems inherent in Flash can be
            found in footnote [2].

            I've seen designers worth their salt perform wonders with standard
            html and css. Flash, except in rare cases, no thanks.

            - Sean Carlos

            --------
            [1] Optimizing Flash for Search Engines
            http://searchenginewatch.com/showPage.html?page=2161851

            [2] 7 Top Problems using Flash in Website Development
            http://www.antezeta.com/flash-problems.html
            (also in Italian: http://www.antezeta.it/problemi-flash.html )

            Antezeta Internet Marketing

            Tel: +39 02 69 000 333 Eng: www.antezeta.com
            Skype: sean-carlos Ita: www.antezeta.it

            Blog: www.antezeta.it/blog
            www.antezeta.com/blog

            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Praveen kumar <praveen_vee@...>
            wrote:

            > It has been announced that Google and Yahoo will start crawling FLASH.

          • Hailong Xia
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 2, 2008
              The limits of Flash only site are evident. The benefit of this improvement
              is, for the SEOer, another source of traffic and another workshop; for the
              welfare of Internet, more resources would be easily accessible.

              On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 9:17 AM, Sean Carlos <sean@...> wrote:

              > Actually what Google has announced is significant improvements to
              > their ability to extract information, specifically text and links,
              > from Flash objects. They already crawled and extracted information
              > from Flash only sites - this is nothing new (Ref [1])!
              >
              > Before site architects and designers rush off to develop Flash only
              > websites, they should still consider:
              >
              > * Flash only websites are missing the full semantic richness various
              > html tags provide Search Engines for the indexing and ranking process.
              > Flash is a poor substitute to html.
              >
              > * Flash only websites don't usually provide unique URLs for different
              > site "pages", necessary for bookmarking, sharing links, inbound
              > linking, detailed web analytics tracking....
              >
              > * Flash sites are almost always slower to load - the browser has to
              > load the flash player (or worse, ask that it be installed), then load
              > the entire site or section of site contained in the flash object.
              >
              > A more detailed description of the problems inherent in Flash can be
              > found in footnote [2].
              >
              > I've seen designers worth their salt perform wonders with standard
              > html and css. Flash, except in rare cases, no thanks.
              >
              > - Sean Carlos
              >
              > --------
              > [1] Optimizing Flash for Search Engines
              > http://searchenginewatch.com/showPage.html?page=2161851
              >
              > [2] 7 Top Problems using Flash in Website Development
              > http://www.antezeta.com/flash-problems.html
              > (also in Italian: http://www.antezeta.it/problemi-flash.html )

              > Antezeta Internet Marketing
              >
              > Tel: +39 02 69 000 333 Eng: www.antezeta.com
              > Skype: sean-carlos Ita: www.antezeta.it
              >
              > Blog: www.antezeta.it/blog
              > www.antezeta.com/blog
              >
              > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>,
              > Praveen kumar <praveen_vee@...>
              > wrote:
              >

              > > It has been announced that Google and Yahoo will start crawling FLASH.

            • alexbrasil489
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 2, 2008
                Evident you say? You sir, have not battled the neighborhood friendly
                Hippos enough, and for that, feel blessed. For me, Flash is the
                epitome of evil, a blight on this land that needs to be eradicated.

                It feeds the Hippos, it nurtures them and allows them to wander the
                World Wide Jungle with impunity, biding their time beneath the water
                just waiting to strike well reasoned arguments and data down with
                their language, Hippospeak. Blood curdling phrases such as "when I
                browse the web I do X", and "people don't want X, they want Y",
                without consulting anything to form their opinion or, even, better,
                directly contradicting it are fed by the religion of Flash, and make
                no mistake, this is a religion of evil doers.

                I have done battle with these Hippos, and struggled as it is. This
                announcement is like giving Goliath a device that happens to counter
                slings.

                --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Hailong Xia" <hailong.xia@...>
                wrote:

                > The limits of Flash only site are evident. The benefit of this
                improvement
                > is, for the SEOer, another source of traffic and another workshop;
                for the
                > welfare of Internet, more resources would be easily accessible.
                >

                > On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 9:17 AM, Sean Carlos <sean@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Actually what Google has announced is significant improvements to
                > > their ability to extract information, specifically text and links,
                > > from Flash objects. They already crawled and extracted information
                > > from Flash only sites - this is nothing new (Ref [1])!
                > >
                > > Before site architects and designers rush off to develop Flash only
                > > websites, they should still consider:
                > >
                > > * Flash only websites are missing the full semantic richness various
                > > html tags provide Search Engines for the indexing and ranking process.
                > > Flash is a poor substitute to html.
                > >
                > > * Flash only websites don't usually provide unique URLs for different
                > > site "pages", necessary for bookmarking, sharing links, inbound
                > > linking, detailed web analytics tracking....
                > >
                > > * Flash sites are almost always slower to load - the browser has to
                > > load the flash player (or worse, ask that it be installed), then load
                > > the entire site or section of site contained in the flash object.
                > >
                > > A more detailed description of the problems inherent in Flash can be
                > > found in footnote [2].
                > >
                > > I've seen designers worth their salt perform wonders with standard
                > > html and css. Flash, except in rare cases, no thanks.
                > >
                > > - Sean Carlos
                > >
                > > --------
                > > [1] Optimizing Flash for Search Engines
                > > http://searchenginewatch.com/showPage.html?page=2161851
                > >
                > > [2] 7 Top Problems using Flash in Website Development
                > > http://www.antezeta.com/flash-problems.html
                > > (also in Italian: http://www.antezeta.it/problemi-flash.html )

                > > Antezeta Internet Marketing
                > >
                > > Tel: +39 02 69 000 333 Eng: www.antezeta.com
                > > Skype: sean-carlos Ita: www.antezeta.it
                > >
                > > Blog: www.antezeta.it/blog
                > > www.antezeta.com/blog
                > >
                > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>,
                > > Praveen kumar <praveen_vee@>
                > > wrote:
                > >

                > > > It has been announced that Google and Yahoo will start crawling
                FLASH.

              • Stuart Taylor
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 2, 2008
                  My Hippo has discovered Silverlight.....

                  doomed, doomed i tell you...

                  Stuart.

                  --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "alexbrasil489" <alexbrasil@...>
                  wrote:

> [...]
                  different
                  > > > site "pages", necessary for bookmarking, sharing links, inbound
                  > > > linking, detailed web analytics tracking....
                  > > >
                  > > > * Flash sites are almost always slower to load - the browser has to
                  > > > load the flash player (or worse, ask that it be installed), then
                  load
                  > > > the entire site or section of site contained in the flash object.
                  > > >
                  > > > A more detailed description of the problems inherent in Flash can be
                  > > > found in footnote [2].
                  > > >
                  > > > I've seen designers worth their salt perform wonders with standard
                  > > > html and css. Flash, except in rare cases, no thanks.
                  > > >
                  > > > - Sean Carlos
                  > > >
                  > > > --------
                  > > > [1] Optimizing Flash for Search Engines
                  > > > http://searchenginewatch.com/showPage.html?page=2161851
                  > > >
                  > > > [2] 7 Top Problems using Flash in Website Development

                • michaelnotte
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 2, 2008
                    Very interesting news. However I noticed the following point in your
                    blog

                    "Google do not attach content from external resources that are loaded
                    by your Flash files. If your Flash file loads an HTML file, an XML
                    file, another SWF file, etc., Google will separately index that
                    resource, but it will not yet be considered to be part of the content
                    in your Flash file"

                    This will strongly limit the indexing in many cases. It is more and
                    more a common practices to have text content coming from external
                    files (e.g. XML). So in this case, the content is not going to be
                    indexed / linked to the flash.

                    In our case, for example a Flash microsite is often translated in
                    several languages. It is ONE Flash site but fed with text coming from
                    XML files containing local translations. So won't get indexed.

                    Or am I wrong?

                    Michaël

                    wrote:

                    > It has been announced that Google and Yahoo will start crawling
                    FLASH.

                    > http://cpraveen.com/blog/now-flash-websites-can-be-crawled-and-
                    indexed-by-google-and-yahoo-hurray/

                    > So we can start seeing more traffic from Google and Yahoo to the
                    flash sites on our analytic tools  :)

                    > Thanks,
                    > Praveen Kumar C
                    > Internet Marketing Survival
                    > http://www.cpraveen.com/blog

                  • David Culbertson
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 2, 2008
                      "..I've seen designers worth their salt perform wonders with standard
                      html and css. Flash, except in rare cases, no thanks."

                      Amen!

                      - Dave Culbertson
                      LightBulb Interactive

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 2, 2008
                        Hi,

                        Maybe I would say something that make you laugh before getting a headache :
                        I'm sorry but I just can't understand your message due to my poor English;-(
                        And Hippos, you are talking about the CMS?

                        After all, I want to complete my phrase with "The limits of Flash only site
                        are evident *for SEO*".

                      • alexbrasil489
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 2, 2008
                          Hailong, I apologize-- I was not laughing at you at all and everything
                          you said was right. By Hippo, I mean the term "highest paid person's
                          opinion", which means that instead of using data and analysis, as we
                          all do here, an individual who does not get it will simply state the
                          right way.

                          When you said an all flash site was evidently flawed in some way, I
                          was laughing because, while it is evident to you and I, it is not so
                          evident to the Hippos I deal with.

                          For reference, Hippo is a play on words, as it also refers to the
                          Hippopotamus animal.

                          Hope that clears it up.
                          wrote:

                          > Hi,
                          >
                          > Maybe I would say something that make you laugh before getting a
                          headache :
                          > I'm sorry but I just can't understand your message due to my poor
                          English;-(
                          > And Hippos, you are talking about the CMS?
                          >
                          > After all, I want to complete my phrase with "The limits of Flash
                          only site
                          > are evident *for SEO*".
                          >

                          > On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 1:11 PM, alexbrasil489 <alexbrasil@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > Evident you say? You sir, have not battled the neighborhood friendly
                          > > Hippos enough, and for that, feel blessed. For me, Flash is the
                          > > epitome of evil, a blight on this land that needs to be eradicated.
                          > >
                          > > It feeds the Hippos, it nurtures them and allows them to wander the
                          > > World Wide Jungle with impunity, biding their time beneath the water
                          > > just waiting to strike well reasoned arguments and data down with
                          > > their language, Hippospeak. Blood curdling phrases such as "when I
                          > > browse the web I do X", and "people don't want X, they want Y",
                          > > without consulting anything to form their opinion or, even, better,
                          > > directly contradicting it are fed by the religion of Flash, and make
                          > > no mistake, this is a religion of evil doers.
                          > >
                          > > I have done battle with these Hippos, and struggled as it is. This
                          > > announcement is like giving Goliath a device that happens to counter
                          > > slings.
                          > >
                          > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>,
                          > > "Hailong Xia" <hailong.xia@>
                          > > wrote:
                          > >

                          > > > The limits of Flash only site are evident. The benefit of this
                          > > improvement
                          > > > is, for the SEOer, another source of traffic and another workshop;
                          > > for the
                          > > > welfare of Internet, more resources would be easily accessible.

                          <webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com><webanalytics%
                          > > 40yahoogroups.com>,

                          > > FLASH.

                        • Birger Friedrichs
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 3, 2008
                            Hi Michaël,

                            michaelnotte wrote:
                            > In our case, for example a Flash microsite is often translated in
                            > several languages. It is ONE Flash site but fed with text coming from
                            > XML files containing local translations. So won't get indexed.
                            >
                            > Or am I wrong?

                            yes, using XML to generate multilingual flash presentations is a common
                            way.
                            As stated by Google the content will be indexed *but* separately and not
                            as part of the flash file.

                            Indexing is one question, the other one is: How well will the flash
                            stuff rank on the SERPs? I don't think that it will beat the plain HTML
                            pages with all the different HTML tags (b, strong, hx, anchor text...).
                            Another problem with flash or not with flash itself but how it is often
                            implemented:

                            The site contains only *one* page with one flash object embedded. So
                            while showing a lot of information on that page through the flash Google
                            will only see one page. It might be better to break down the content
                            into different topics and create several HTML pages with proper HTML
                            titles for each topic. Then Google can index the different pages with
                            the flash content separately. But I doubt that it will rank better than
                            plain HTML pages. Of course it also depends on the inbound links. If you
                            fire Thousands of relevant links to a flash page it can have a better
                            ranking than a HTML version with less inbound links.

                            I would currently not "hide" important content in flash. My 2 cents.

                            Regards,
                            Birger
                          • michaelnotte
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 3, 2008
                              Thanks for your feedback.

                              What we do is that all important / main content from Flash is
                              automatically added in the HTML page but not visible if Flash player
                              is available (NO FLASH Script part). So Search engines still see the
                              content and refer to the page using <TITLE>, <DESCRIPTION> tags.

                              So we didn't wait for SE to index flash content...

                              Concerning the usage of Flash, we avoid building FULL flash sites
                              like http://www.honda.co.uk/car/ and agree that you can do a lot of
                              things with HTML / CSS but we use a lot of Flash content integrated
                              in our sites. So Flash is more considered as an asset of our sites
                              (like images, videos, text, pdf's,...).

                              Cheers

                              Michaël

                              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Birger Friedrichs <bf@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Michaël,
                              >
                              > michaelnotte wrote:
                              > > In our case, for example a Flash microsite is often translated in
                              > > several languages. It is ONE Flash site but fed with text coming
                              from
                              > > XML files containing local translations. So won't get indexed.
                              > >
                              > > Or am I wrong?
                              >
                              > yes, using XML to generate multilingual flash presentations is a
                              common
                              > way.
                              > As stated by Google the content will be indexed *but* separately
                              and not
                              > as part of the flash file.
                              >
                              > Indexing is one question, the other one is: How well will the flash
                              > stuff rank on the SERPs? I don't think that it will beat the plain
                              HTML
                              > pages with all the different HTML tags (b, strong, hx, anchor
                              text...).
                              > Another problem with flash or not with flash itself but how it is
                              often
                              > implemented:
                              >
                              > The site contains only *one* page with one flash object embedded.
                              So
                              > while showing a lot of information on that page through the flash
                              Google
                              > will only see one page. It might be better to break down the
                              content
                              > into different topics and create several HTML pages with proper
                              HTML
                              > titles for each topic. Then Google can index the different pages
                              with
                              > the flash content separately. But I doubt that it will rank better
                              than
                              > plain HTML pages. Of course it also depends on the inbound links.
                              If you
                              > fire Thousands of relevant links to a flash page it can have a
                              better
                              > ranking than a HTML version with less inbound links.
                              >
                              > I would currently not "hide" important content in flash. My 2 cents.
                              >
                              > Regards,
                              > Birger

                            • propfow
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 3, 2008
                                alexbrasil489,

                                Just as an FYI I got your joke and agree with you. Never like to hear
                                "well, I do X on the internet" either.

                                John O'Farrell
                                Senior Interactive Strategist
                                Addison

                                wrote:

                                > Hailong, I apologize-- I was not laughing at you at all and everything
                                > you said was right. By Hippo, I mean the term "highest paid person's
                                > opinion", which means that instead of using data and analysis, as we
                                > all do here, an individual who does not get it will simply state the
                                > right way.
                                >
                                > When you said an all flash site was evidently flawed in some way, I
                                > was laughing because, while it is evident to you and I, it is not so
                                > evident to the Hippos I deal with.
                                >
                                > For reference, Hippo is a play on words, as it also refers to the
                                > Hippopotamus animal.
                                >
                                > Hope that clears it up.
                                > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Hailong Xia" <hailong.xia@>
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Hi,
                                > >
                                > > Maybe I would say something that make you laugh before getting a
                                > headache :
                                > > I'm sorry but I just can't understand your message due to my poor
                                > English;-(
                                > > And Hippos, you are talking about the CMS?
                                > >
                                > > After all, I want to complete my phrase with "The limits of Flash
                                > only site
                                > > are evident *for SEO*".
                                > >

                                > > On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 1:11 PM, alexbrasil489 <alexbrasil@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > > Evident you say? You sir, have not battled the neighborhood
                                friendly
                                > > > Hippos enough, and for that, feel blessed. For me, Flash is the
                                > > > epitome of evil, a blight on this land that needs to be eradicated.
                                > > >
                                > > > It feeds the Hippos, it nurtures them and allows them to wander the
                                > > > World Wide Jungle with impunity, biding their time beneath the water
                                > > > just waiting to strike well reasoned arguments and data down with
                                > > > their language, Hippospeak. Blood curdling phrases such as "when I
                                > > > browse the web I do X", and "people don't want X, they want Y",
                                > > > without consulting anything to form their opinion or, even, better,
                                > > > directly contradicting it are fed by the religion of Flash, and make
                                > > > no mistake, this is a religion of evil doers.
                                > > >
                                > > > I have done battle with these Hippos, and struggled as it is. This
                                > > > announcement is like giving Goliath a device that happens to counter
                                > > > slings.
                                > > >
                                > > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com
                                <webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>,

                                > > > improvement
                                > > > for the

                                > only

                                > various
                                > process.

                                > different

                                > has to
                                > then load

                                > can be

                                > <webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com><webanalytics%
                                > > > 40yahoogroups.com>,

                                > > > FLASH.

                              • Hailong Xia
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 3, 2008
                                  Hi Alex, thanks for your explication of "Hippo", honestly I really spent
                                  much time to look for its meaning ;-). I'm glad to learn another 'true'
                                  English word, hehehe.

                                  Continue our discussion about Flash site. Maybe we could use Flash in
                                  another way. As we all known, Flash is unfriendly element to SE, then why
                                  don't we put the contents that degrade the seo effort on a Flash file? I
                                  mean we can use flash to increase the key word density, to reduce the out
                                  links, or to simplify the source code of our web page.

                                  Just an idea, maybe in some special situations this could help with
                                  something.

                                • nethab1
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 4, 2008
                                    What I don't get is, even if Google indexes remotely loaded XML/SWF
                                    content separately OR as part of the original flash, there's really no
                                    way to "deep link" into a specific frame/"page", much less so if that
                                    XML/SWF is indexed separately.

                                    So what has anyone really gained? Visitors clicking a SERP and NOT
                                    finding what Google said was "on the tin"? More bad user experience if
                                    you ask me...

                                    --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "michaelnotte" <michaelnotte@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > Thanks for your feedback.
                                    >
                                    > What we do is that all important / main content from Flash is
                                    > automatically added in the HTML page but not visible if Flash player
                                    > is available (NO FLASH Script part). So Search engines still see the
                                    > content and refer to the page using <TITLE>, <DESCRIPTION> tags.
                                    >
                                    > So we didn't wait for SE to index flash content...
                                    >
                                    > Concerning the usage of Flash, we avoid building FULL flash sites
                                    > like http://www.honda.co.uk/car/ and agree that you can do a lot of
                                    > things with HTML / CSS but we use a lot of Flash content integrated
                                    > in our sites. So Flash is more considered as an asset of our sites
                                    > (like images, videos, text, pdf's,...).
                                    >
                                    > Cheers
                                    >
                                    > Michaël
                                    >
                                    > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Birger Friedrichs <bf@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Hi Michaël,
                                    > >
                                    > > michaelnotte wrote:
                                    > > > In our case, for example a Flash microsite is often translated in
                                    > > > several languages. It is ONE Flash site but fed with text coming
                                    > from
                                    > > > XML files containing local translations. So won't get indexed.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Or am I wrong?
                                    > >
                                    > > yes, using XML to generate multilingual flash presentations is a
                                    > common
                                    > > way.
                                    > > As stated by Google the content will be indexed *but* separately
                                    > and not
                                    > > as part of the flash file.
                                    > >
                                    > > Indexing is one question, the other one is: How well will the flash
                                    > > stuff rank on the SERPs? I don't think that it will beat the plain
                                    > HTML
                                    > > pages with all the different HTML tags (b, strong, hx, anchor
                                    > text...).
                                    > > Another problem with flash or not with flash itself but how it is
                                    > often
                                    > > implemented:
                                    > >
                                    > > The site contains only *one* page with one flash object embedded.
                                    > So
                                    > > while showing a lot of information on that page through the flash
                                    > Google
                                    > > will only see one page. It might be better to break down the
                                    > content
                                    > > into different topics and create several HTML pages with proper
                                    > HTML
                                    > > titles for each topic. Then Google can index the different pages
                                    > with
                                    > > the flash content separately. But I doubt that it will rank better
                                    > than
                                    > > plain HTML pages. Of course it also depends on the inbound links.
                                    > If you
                                    > > fire Thousands of relevant links to a flash page it can have a
                                    > better
                                    > > ranking than a HTML version with less inbound links.
                                    > >
                                    > > I would currently not "hide" important content in flash. My 2 cents.
                                    > >
                                    > > Regards,
                                    > > Birger

                                  • alexbrasil489
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 5, 2008
                                      I'm going to be completely honest. It is rare-- very rare, that I see
                                      Flash used in a way that I feel adds meaningful value to a website.
                                      It is also, from a upkeep and rapidly changing/evolving site point of
                                      view, an absolute nightmare. I'll confess that this is more of the
                                      past pseudo-coder speaking (I don't really build sites anymore but I
                                      have), but I have almost always found Flash to be a lot more trouble
                                      than it's worth.

                                      This is not to say that it CAN'T be useful, just that you have an
                                      uphill battle when trying to convince me of its utility in most cases.
                                      Often, Flash is used on sites that have no clear goal.

                                      For instance, think of any possible reason you would visit a website.
                                      Now visit doritos.com. How long did it take you to figure out what
                                      you wanted to do? Perhaps you're a lot brighter than I am, but it
                                      took me a heck of a long time.

                                      Don't get me wrong-- the site is absolutely awesome technically and
                                      clearly cost a lot of time, money and resources, and clearly involved
                                      some very talented people, but it's made by designers and/or people
                                      who did not put the thought into what the site would be used for. As
                                      an aside, I showed the site to a senior graphics designer guy/friend
                                      of mine, and he started saying how cool and great the site was ;)

                                      Recently a company that has been advertised heavily in my area
                                      oilchange.com (relating to websites), pushes a lot of flash use which,
                                      while they appear to have done very very well for themselves, is
                                      entirely different from how I would ever build a website personally.

                                      To be glib, flash is flashy, it wins a lot of people over, especially
                                      , at least in my mind, those who don't have a very deep understanding
                                      of how the web operates and what a website is supposed to be/do. When
                                      you really start digging down into what it is your flash provides to
                                      the user however, I think you'll find that the vast, vast majority
                                      could and more importantly should do without.

                                      wrote:

                                      > Thanks for your feedback.
                                      >
                                      > What we do is that all important / main content from Flash is
                                      > automatically added in the HTML page but not visible if Flash player
                                      > is available (NO FLASH Script part). So Search engines still see the
                                      > content and refer to the page using <TITLE>, <DESCRIPTION> tags.
                                      >
                                      > So we didn't wait for SE to index flash content...
                                      >
                                      > Concerning the usage of Flash, we avoid building FULL flash sites
                                      > like http://www.honda.co.uk/car/ and agree that you can do a lot of
                                      > things with HTML / CSS but we use a lot of Flash content integrated
                                      > in our sites. So Flash is more considered as an asset of our sites
                                      > (like images, videos, text, pdf's,...).
                                      >
                                      > Cheers
                                      >
                                      > Micha�l
                                      >
                                      > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Birger Friedrichs <bf@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Hi Micha�l,
                                      > >
                                      > > michaelnotte wrote:
                                      > > > In our case, for example a Flash microsite is often translated in
                                      > > > several languages. It is ONE Flash site but fed with text coming
                                      > from
                                      > > > XML files containing local translations. So won't get indexed.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Or am I wrong?
                                      > >
                                      > > yes, using XML to generate multilingual flash presentations is a
                                      > common
                                      > > way.
                                      > > As stated by Google the content will be indexed *but* separately
                                      > and not
                                      > > as part of the flash file.
                                      > >
                                      > > Indexing is one question, the other one is: How well will the flash
                                      > > stuff rank on the SERPs? I don't think that it will beat the plain
                                      > HTML
                                      > > pages with all the different HTML tags (b, strong, hx, anchor
                                      > text...).
                                      > > Another problem with flash or not with flash itself but how it is
                                      > often
                                      > > implemented:
                                      > >
                                      > > The site contains only *one* page with one flash object embedded.
                                      > So
                                      > > while showing a lot of information on that page through the flash
                                      > Google
                                      > > will only see one page. It might be better to break down the
                                      > content
                                      > > into different topics and create several HTML pages with proper
                                      > HTML
                                      > > titles for each topic. Then Google can index the different pages
                                      > with
                                      > > the flash content separately. But I doubt that it will rank better
                                      > than
                                      > > plain HTML pages. Of course it also depends on the inbound links.
                                      > If you
                                      > > fire Thousands of relevant links to a flash page it can have a
                                      > better
                                      > > ranking than a HTML version with less inbound links.
                                      > >
                                      > > I would currently not "hide" important content in flash. My 2 cents.
                                      > >
                                      > > Regards,
                                      > > Birger

                                    • quibble12345
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 18, 2008
                                        Ok, I have to state the obvious:

                                        In this thread we're talking about Flash, a technology that everyone
                                        except iPhones, MSN, and sight impaired people can at least process.
                                        You don't have to like it or use it, but at least it's ubiquitous.

                                        Your HIPPO is fixated on Silverlight, a non common, me-too technology
                                        to essentially replicate Flash.

                                        What possible reason could your HIPPO have for running your company's
                                        site down a rat hole?

                                        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Stuart Taylor"
                                        <stuart.taylor@...> wrote:

                                        > My Hippo has discovered Silverlight.....
                                        >
                                        > doomed, doomed i tell you...
                                        >
                                        > Stuart.
                                        >
                                        > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "alexbrasil489" <alexbrasil@>
                                        > wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Evident you say? You sir, have not battled the neighborhood friendly
                                        > > Hippos enough, and for that, feel blessed. For me, Flash is the
                                        > > epitome of evil, a blight on this land that needs to be eradicated.
                                        > >
                                        > > It feeds the Hippos, it nurtures them and allows them to wander the
                                        > > World Wide Jungle with impunity, biding their time beneath the water
                                        > > just waiting to strike well reasoned arguments and data down with
                                        > > their language, Hippospeak. Blood curdling phrases such as "when I
                                        > > browse the web I do X", and "people don't want X, they want Y",
                                        > > without consulting anything to form their opinion or, even, better,
                                        > > directly contradicting it are fed by the religion of Flash, and make
                                        > > no mistake, this is a religion of evil doers.
                                        > >
                                        > > I have done battle with these Hippos, and struggled as it is. This
                                        > > announcement is like giving Goliath a device that happens to counter
                                        > > slings.
                                        > >

                                        > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Hailong Xia" <hailong.xia@>
                                        > > wrote:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > The limits of Flash only site are evident. The benefit of this
                                        > > improvement
                                        > > > is, for the SEOer, another source of traffic and another workshop;
                                        > > for the
                                        > > > welfare of Internet, more resources would be easily accessible.

                                        > process.

                                        > different

                                        > load

                                        > <webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>,

                                        > > FLASH.

                                      • quibble12345
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jul 18, 2008
                                          If you search Google with "filetype:swf," you'll see that very few
                                          SWF entry titles are anything but code. The ones that make sense seem
                                          inadvertent.

                                          Does anyone know how to adjust/influence the Google entry title and
                                          description of the SWF so at least it will make more sense to
                                          searchers? The way it is, why would anyone click on it?

                                          Andrew

                                          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Sean Carlos" <sean@...> wrote:

                                          > Actually what Google has announced is significant improvements to
                                          > their ability to extract information, specifically text and links,
                                          > from Flash objects. They already crawled and extracted information
                                          > from Flash only sites - this is nothing new (Ref [1])!
                                          >
                                          > Before site architects and designers rush off to develop Flash only
                                          > websites, they should still consider:
                                          >
                                          > * Flash only websites are missing the full semantic richness various
                                          > html tags provide Search Engines for the indexing and ranking process.
                                          > Flash is a poor substitute to html.
                                          >
                                          > * Flash only websites don't usually provide unique URLs for different
                                          > site "pages", necessary for bookmarking, sharing links, inbound
                                          > linking, detailed web analytics tracking....
                                          >
                                          > * Flash sites are almost always slower to load - the browser has to
                                          > load the flash player (or worse, ask that it be installed), then load
                                          > the entire site or section of site contained in the flash object.
                                          >
                                          > A more detailed description of the problems inherent in Flash can be
                                          > found in footnote [2].
                                          >
                                          > I've seen designers worth their salt perform wonders with standard
                                          > html and css. Flash, except in rare cases, no thanks.
                                          >
                                          > - Sean Carlos
                                          >
                                          > --------
                                          > [1] Optimizing Flash for Search Engines
                                          > http://searchenginewatch.com/showPage.html?page=2161851
                                          >
                                          > [2] 7 Top Problems using Flash in Website Development
                                          > http://www.antezeta.com/flash-problems.html
                                          > (also in Italian: http://www.antezeta.it/problemi-flash.html )

                                          > Antezeta Internet Marketing
                                          >
                                          > Tel: +39 02 69 000 333 Eng: www.antezeta.com
                                          > Skype: sean-carlos Ita: www.antezeta.it
                                          >
                                          > Blog: www.antezeta.it/blog
                                          > www.antezeta.com/blog
                                          >

                                          > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Praveen kumar <praveen_vee@>
                                          > wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > It has been announced that Google and Yahoo will start crawling FLASH.

                                        • r_angley
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jul 20, 2008
                                            Thanks for the posts. I thoroughly enjoyed this thread and completely agree with it.

                                            In my experience, Flash has not provided any additional benefit over other simpler coding
                                            solutions. IMO, much of the reason for the use of Flash is that the cheaper, less expensive
                                            coding methods are not mentioned or demonstrated early on in the decision phase.
                                            Unfortunately, once committed it is extremely difficult and expensive to switch. Instead,
                                            we are stuck maintaining an expensive platform and implementing workarounds to make it
                                            visible to search engines.

                                            Has anyone determined whether the Flash browser application that was provided to
                                            Google will execute the web analytics js tags? Is this something we should discuss with
                                            our analytics vendor?

                                            Thanks, Rob