Re: Google Trends Now Trends Web Sites

  • ju2ltd
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 24, 2008
      Anybody know how they derive this data. Is this is via their Google
      Analytics benchmarking service - then the service would be similar to
      being Quantified on Quantcast. How do they publish data for sites not
      using Google Analytics. My UVs according to Google Analytics are at
      least double the numbers published on trends.google.com.

      Jim.

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "㋡ jO" <byzantin3@...> wrote:

      > Trends.google.com seems to be delivering numbers that are similar to
      > Alexa and Quantcast. Numbers are only available for the site domain.
      >
      > Anyone knows what is the data capturing mechanism behind it?
      >
      > Joanna Teo
      >
      > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "vabeachkevin" <kevin.rogers@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Very interesting story.
      > > http://searchengineland.com/080620-131900.php

    • bryan.cristina
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 24, 2008
        Sounds like the guy needs to cancel his FREE Google Analytics account,
        block his computer's access to google's servers/cookies, and live in a
        life where he has more time to dedicate to other issues of paranoia,
        because I'm sure they're there.

        BFD, I know whose site gets less or more traffic than another. If
        that's information I shouldn't know just take your site off the
        internet, please. Chances are, nothing google's sharing in there is a
        surprise anyway

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Birger Friedrichs <bf@...> wrote:

        > > Trends.google.com seems to be delivering numbers that are similar to
        > > Alexa and Quantcast. Numbers are only available for the site domain.
        > > Anyone knows what is the data capturing mechanism behind it?
        >
        > I came across this blog post yesterday from Mediadonis:
        > Scary data - http://www.mediadonis.net/?p=306 :)
        >
        > He blames Google for sharing his Google Analytics data to the
        outside world. Ok, as he wrote he has to blame himself since he
        opted-in to share his GA data.

        > But is it only Google Analytics data? Google has access to various
        sources of data which could be used for website trends (found on a
        German blog
        http://www.at-web.de/blog/20080624/google-misst-traffic-fur-websites.htm):

        > - Google Analytics, if you agreed to share your data Google will use
        it for enhancing their other services. This is not new and if you
        opted in you have agreed to the rules of the game.
        > - The Google Toolbar, if the toolbar is installed on a computer the
        browser sends a ping back to Google with every page access
        > - Google AdSense, if Google AdSense code is implemented on a page
        Google knows very exactly how many visitors/views the page had. If
        that data is shared, I don't know.
        > - Google Webmaster Tools, a nice set of tools which are beneficial
        for the website owners. It shows again what data Google already has
        from their crawling activities and search.
        > - Google search result pages, any click from a result page (search,
        image search, Google Maps, etc.) is counted. Not really visitor data
        but additional data.
        > - Google Site Search is another service, if you implement the Google
        search box with logo on all of your pages Google will get an
        image/logo request for the page views which could deliver additional data.
        > - With the Doubleclick acquisition in 2007 Google has got an
        additional ad network with a lot of website data.

        > So Google will always have some kind of data available whatever
        source they use (if they use the different sources - this is another
        question).

        > Regards,
        > Birger

      • Eric Woodman
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 24, 2008
          Hi everyone,

          After years of lobbying, begging, and otherwise driving my management batty with my desires to create a Web Analytics function for our corporate extranet (for customer technical support, partner & employee sales/technical support), I have been given the role of creating and leading a �metrics and measurements� team as part of a larger site overhaul project. I�m trilled for the opportunity and I�d like to try leveraging the power of the medium by reaching out to this list for guidance as I navigate what should be an interesting and challenging process. So for the next several months, if not longer, I plan on posting to the group seeking advice and guidance about how to proceed. I hope many of you will view yourselves as member of my virtual team and contribute as you have time. Just call me the Virtual Web Analyst.

          Here are some things you should know:

          About the business:

          I work for a major high-tech company with more than $10 billion in annual revenue split among hardware, software, and services. Our customer base is largely Fortune 500 corporations, but we have been driving down into the market for some time, especially with our software and recently acquired companies (more than 25 in 5 years).

          About the Website:
          In a way it�s three Websites sharing one name/URL. One for customers (sales and tech support), one for partners (sales and tech support), and one for customers. I say it�s three websites because there are three distinct views of the site, with each user being given a primary identity (C, P, or E), and access to relevant content. Additional entitlements are used on content/user accounts to provide users with items that should not be seen by everyone (licensed software, competitive training, etc).

          As part of the larger overhaul of the site, I believe we are going to tweak how we deliver content. The foundation of this will be that partners, customers, and employees (some of them, anyway) all have need for support. Some partners and employees need sales information. Content cuts across audiences, is my point, so it probably makes sense to just give people what they need in one �view� rather than maintaining what amounts to three sites. Easier said than done, and all of this is half-baked (less than half, really) at this point.

          About metrics on the site
          Metrics were literally an afterthought. When the current site was designed measurement was moved all the way off the back burner under a dim heat lamp somewhere. We have made attempts to retrofit the site for measuring things like downloads and page views (much, if not most, of the key content is in PDF, Word, EXE, etc format, so downloads is a key thing to measure). We have no ability to track paths taken through the site or measure *how* someone got to a particular piece of content. The entitlement approach we have taken makes it very difficult to measure many key areas. At least that�s what our development people tell me.

          About me

          Unlike many of you, I have no background in other kinds of analysis. I was a newspaper reporter, who got sucked up into the .com thing (on the content side) in the mid �90s. Since then I have been in site manager/producer/usability roles. I�m not a technical person, but having worked on Websites for a dozen+ years now, I have a good sense of what can and can�t be done.

          I have come to the analytics world in large part because I see a need on our sites, and I think I generally �get it.� I took the UBC courses online last year on my own initiative hoping for a shot like this. There is a Web Analytics person on our .com (who also subscribes to this list), but she is also very new in the role and also feeling her way. She is blessed with an Omniture Site Catalyst System that does things I can only dream of on my site. One of our technical leads told me that we had Omniture in a year ago and they told us our entitlement system was too complex (Byzantine?) for them to work with. I I�m sure we will share ideas, but other than her there is nobody at the company that I know of who I can really turn to with a deep knowledge of Web Analytics.

          Now what?
          I�ve already identified my core team (four people) and I�ve set up our first meeting for later this week. Among the first things I want to do is to gain a better understanding of our current implementation of Business Objects and limitations that are keeping us from doing more. I also want to meet with key business teams to define KPIs so that we can work toward building requirements.

          I�d love feedback on anything else I should be focused on early on and anything else that comes to mind. Thanks in advance and I�ll try to keep it shorter with my future updates!

          - Eric Woodman

          PS, does anyone have any suggestions for a free blog platform where I can archive these messages?

        • Gerry
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 24, 2008
            sorry, I think this is totally wrong - I agree with anil

            http://webanalysis.blogspot.com/2008/06/google-starting-using-its-
            monopolistic.html

            whilst i really want this data, i would prefer no one else did,

            bad english due to having one han in a cast!

            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "michaelnotte"
            <michaelnotte@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for posting this!
            >
            > FREE COMPETITIVE INTELLIGENCE :-)
            >
            > Hurrah!
            >
            > Thanks Google :-)
            >
            > Michaël
            >
            > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "vabeachkevin" <kevin.rogers@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Very interesting story.
            > > http://searchengineland.com/080620-131900.php

          • "Wandering" Dave Rhee
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 25, 2008
              Hi, Eric,

              Welcome to the group! Sounds like an exciting project you're
              embarking on, and I hope this group proves to be valuable to you and
              your team during your journey through the world of web analytics.

              As you'll have read, there are many great books out there, most
              written by active members here, that can give you great advice for
              setting up a team and coming up with a workable plan. The few nuggets
              I'd emphasize are 1) when hiring (or assembling an internal
              dotted-line team) go for smart, people-friendly folks who are also
              number-friendly (not number-averse), over number geeks without
              personalities, as the best data / analysis / insights are useless if
              you can't get management to drive decisions with them. This requires
              political savvy and presentations skills as much as analytical
              ability.

              2) Align your strategies at all levels (to the extent this is within
              your control): corporate strategy begets marketing strategy, which in
              turn begets online strategy, of which one piece is a web strategy.
              Coordinate and align them all, and (eventually) get the metrics across
              all channels to drive a multi-channel marketing mix model. (But
              expect this to take 2-3 years.)

              3) Hire smart consultants with part of your budget -- folks at the top
              firms can save you many man-years of headaches and lost productivity,
              by ensuring you select the right vendor for your needs, and overcoming
              the implementation pitfalls that you may not even realize exist until
              6 months later when the analysis your management paid for fails to
              materialize.

              And of course, 4) ask lots of questions here, and be prepared to
              receive some great, but conflicting advice. Web analytics is a
              practice, not a science, and it's nearly impossible to convey all the
              complexities of your unique issues to the folks offering their
              perspectives here. So we'll each make assumptions, otherwise you'd
              never get past the "it depends" answer. What we ask in return is that
              a few months later, you come back and tell us what path you eventually
              followed, and how it turned out for you -- success or failure, just
              share the learning with the rest of the community. And if it's
              particularly interesting, present at an eMetrics conference, too,
              where we can learn more from you in person than is easily possible in
              a text-only medium like the forum.

              Good luck! Looking forward to following along with you here.

              WDave Rhee, Moderator
              Analytics Country Manager - Germany, OX2 / LBi Group (ox2.eu, lbigroup.be)
            • nethab1
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 25, 2008
                From what I understand, Google Trends for Websites is NOT using Google
                Analytics data. Analytics data is only available in anonymized form
                via the benchmarking service, specifically the hostname (domain) isn't
                included as part of the data. Which makes it fairly useless for Google
                Trends for Websites since the whole point is to look up the data for a
                particular domain.

                --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Birger Friedrichs <bf@...> wrote:

                > > Trends.google.com seems to be delivering numbers that are similar to
                > > Alexa and Quantcast. Numbers are only available for the site domain.
                > > Anyone knows what is the data capturing mechanism behind it?
                >
                > I came across this blog post yesterday from Mediadonis:
                > Scary data - http://www.mediadonis.net/?p=306 :)
                >
                > He blames Google for sharing his Google Analytics data to the
                outside world. Ok, as he wrote he has to blame himself since he
                opted-in to share his GA data.

                > But is it only Google Analytics data? Google has access to various
                sources of data which could be used for website trends (found on a
                German blog
                http://www.at-web.de/blog/20080624/google-misst-traffic-fur-websites.htm):

                > - Google Analytics, if you agreed to share your data Google will use
                it for enhancing their other services. This is not new and if you
                opted in you have agreed to the rules of the game.
                > - The Google Toolbar, if the toolbar is installed on a computer the
                browser sends a ping back to Google with every page access
                > - Google AdSense, if Google AdSense code is implemented on a page
                Google knows very exactly how many visitors/views the page had. If
                that data is shared, I don't know.
                > - Google Webmaster Tools, a nice set of tools which are beneficial
                for the website owners. It shows again what data Google already has
                from their crawling activities and search.
                > - Google search result pages, any click from a result page (search,
                image search, Google Maps, etc.) is counted. Not really visitor data
                but additional data.
                > - Google Site Search is another service, if you implement the Google
                search box with logo on all of your pages Google will get an
                image/logo request for the page views which could deliver additional data.
                > - With the Doubleclick acquisition in 2007 Google has got an
                additional ad network with a lot of website data.

                > So Google will always have some kind of data available whatever
                source they use (if they use the different sources - this is another
                question).

                > Regards,
                > Birger

              • Birger Friedrichs
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 26, 2008
                  Hi nethab1 -

                  > From what I understand, Google Trends for Websites is NOT using Google
                  > Analytics data. Analytics data is only available in anonymized form
                  > via the benchmarking service, specifically the hostname (domain) isn't
                  > included as part of the data. Which makes it fairly useless for Google
                  > Trends for Websites since the whole point is to look up the data for a
                  > particular domain.

                  The anonymous GA data is one data source for Google Trends for Websites.

                  "2. How is the data in Trends for Websites generated?

                  Trends for Websites combines information from a variety of sources, such as aggregated Google search data, aggregated opt-in anonymous Google Analytics data, opt-in consumer panel data, and other third-party market research. [...]"

                  http://www.google.com/intl/en/trends/websites/help/index.html

                  Regards,
                  Birger
                • JB Creusat
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 26, 2008
                    Point 16 is important too...*

                    16. How do you use Google Analytics data?*

                    Individual site level information from Google Analytics isn't currently used
                    in Trends for Websites. Instead, the Google Analytics data is used in an
                    anonymous and aggregate fashion and combined with other data sources to
                    calibrate macro-level insights into website traffic patterns, site
                    visitation across geographies, and related websites and searches. The Google
                    Analytics data in Trends for Websites comes from the anonymous opt-in data
                    sharing setting in Google Analytics. This setting enables Google Analytics
                    customers to opt-in to share their data in an anonymous form. To find out
                    more about this setting, please read the FAQs related to Google Analytics
                    Data Sharing<https://www.google.com/support/googleanalytics/bin/answer.py?answer=87515&hl=en_US>.

                    --
                    JB Creusat,
                    23 rue du Château,

                  • johnnydeptford
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 27, 2008
                      However this data is being collected, it's wildly inaccurate. I tried
                      Google trends to compare two sites where I know the actual numbers and
                      Google was way out in showing how they stacked up against each other.
                    • terri@weebit.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 27, 2008
                        I totally agree. I looked at the trends for three of our major sites and
                        all three were way off. Not only that, Google showed lowering trends
                        where in all three had between 4 to 7% upward trends per year.

                        > However this data is being collected, it's wildly inaccurate. I tried
                        > Google trends to compare two sites where I know the actual numbers and
                        > Google was way out in showing how they stacked up against each other.
                        >

                        > ------------------------------------
                        >
                        > ---------------------------------------
                        > The Web Analytics Forum
                        > Founded by Eric T. Peterson (www.webanalyticsdemystified.com)
                        > Moderated by the Web Analytics Association
                        > (www.webanalyticsassociation.org)
                        > Email moderators at: webanalytics-moderators@yahoogroups.comYahoo! Groups
                        > Links

                      • robbinsteif
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 27, 2008
                          Dave -- you forgot:

                          5) Join the Web Analytics Association and volunteer on a committee.
                          It's great to post here and you will get awesome answers, but with the
                          WAA, you get to do even more networking and learning (even though you
                          already have that great WA/UBC education.) The marketing committee has
                          a Newbie Special Interest Group, and you might be interested in
                          getting involved.

                          6) Once you are a member, go read June Dershewitz's article, "Top 10
                          Things I Wish I Knew When I Started in Web Analytics."
                          http://www.webanalyticsassociation.org/en/art/?473

                          7) Consider attending a Web Analytics Wednesday in your area (not that
                          I was able to figure out your area. Sorry.) That way, you'll get to
                          meet other local web analysts who can help you

                          8) You might have to wait a while for amazing data and a chance to
                          present at the eMetrics Summit, so how about attending one? There is
                          one in October in DC.

                          Robbin Steif
                          LunaMetrics
                          Google Analytics Authorized Consultants
                          attend our GA training in DC, Aug. 12
                          http://www.lunametrics.com/getting-ahead/

                          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "\"Wandering\" Dave Rhee"
                          <wdaveonline@...> wrote:

                          > Hi, Eric,
                          >
                          > Welcome to the group! Sounds like an exciting project you're
                          > embarking on, and I hope this group proves to be valuable to you and
                          > your team during your journey through the world of web analytics.
                          >
                          > As you'll have read, there are many great books out there, most
                          > written by active members here, that can give you great advice for
                          > setting up a team and coming up with a workable plan. The few nuggets
                          > I'd emphasize are 1) when hiring (or assembling an internal
                          > dotted-line team) go for smart, people-friendly folks who are also
                          > number-friendly (not number-averse), over number geeks without
                          > personalities, as the best data / analysis / insights are useless if
                          > you can't get management to drive decisions with them. This requires
                          > political savvy and presentations skills as much as analytical
                          > ability.
                          >
                          > 2) Align your strategies at all levels (to the extent this is within
                          > your control): corporate strategy begets marketing strategy, which in
                          > turn begets online strategy, of which one piece is a web strategy.
                          > Coordinate and align them all, and (eventually) get the metrics across
                          > all channels to drive a multi-channel marketing mix model. (But
                          > expect this to take 2-3 years.)
                          >
                          > 3) Hire smart consultants with part of your budget -- folks at the top
                          > firms can save you many man-years of headaches and lost productivity,
                          > by ensuring you select the right vendor for your needs, and overcoming
                          > the implementation pitfalls that you may not even realize exist until
                          > 6 months later when the analysis your management paid for fails to
                          > materialize.
                          >
                          > And of course, 4) ask lots of questions here, and be prepared to
                          > receive some great, but conflicting advice. Web analytics is a
                          > practice, not a science, and it's nearly impossible to convey all the
                          > complexities of your unique issues to the folks offering their
                          > perspectives here. So we'll each make assumptions, otherwise you'd
                          > never get past the "it depends" answer. What we ask in return is that
                          > a few months later, you come back and tell us what path you eventually
                          > followed, and how it turned out for you -- success or failure, just
                          > share the learning with the rest of the community. And if it's
                          > particularly interesting, present at an eMetrics conference, too,
                          > where we can learn more from you in person than is easily possible in
                          > a text-only medium like the forum.
                          >
                          > Good luck! Looking forward to following along with you here.
                          >
                          > WDave Rhee, Moderator
                          > Analytics Country Manager - Germany, OX2 / LBi Group (ox2.eu,
                          lbigroup.be)

                        • Eric Woodman
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 28, 2008
                            Thanks for the info. I've actually been a member of the WAA for awhile and have been to some WAW events:)