Hello, Just Reading the Book and Had a Question!

  • David Culbertson
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5, 2004
      Hello Eric and everybody,

      I run a small Internet marketing firm and some of clients ask me to
      interpret their analytics for them. I mostly know what I am doing due
      to a 12 year career with AOL / CompuServe / Netscape, but your book
      has been a big help. The opening chapter comparing logs to tagging
      has been particularly helpful!

      Here is my problem. Are there any solutions to accurately tracking
      dynamically generated pages? Here is an example of the type of page
      that I am talking about:

      http://www.buy.com/retail/department.asp?loc=105&mp=60

      I've got a client with a similar sort of structure, so these pages
      always show the most "views" and "visitors" since they are accessed
      repeatedly, although displaying different information based on the
      variables. Any recommendations on how to track such pages when there
      can be hundreds of variations on the page due to hundreds of products?

      Thanks in advance,

      Dave Culbertson
      LightBulb Interactive
    • fkuu325
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 5, 2004
        Hi Dave,
        What product is the client using?

        Make sure the product is tracking the entire URL with the query
        string. The old software package we used (Accrue) was set up to drop
        the query string to conserve resources, which prevented us from
        drilling to a more granular level like your client.

        In WebSideStory (I'm not sure about other javascript-based solutions),
        you can define the content groups and page names programmatically in
        the Javascript code. This means that you can pass in product id's or
        product category id's (either by parsing the query string or from the
        back-end) into the javascript. This'll allow you to generate reports
        off of those variables instead of filtering through individual URLs.

        -Fred Kuu
        FindLaw

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "David Culbertson"
        <davidsculbertson@y...> wrote:
        > Hello Eric and everybody,
        >
        > I run a small Internet marketing firm and some of clients ask me to
        > interpret their analytics for them. I mostly know what I am doing due
        > to a 12 year career with AOL / CompuServe / Netscape, but your book
        > has been a big help. The opening chapter comparing logs to tagging
        > has been particularly helpful!
        >
        > Here is my problem. Are there any solutions to accurately tracking
        > dynamically generated pages? Here is an example of the type of page
        > that I am talking about:
        >
        > http://www.buy.com/retail/department.asp?loc=105&mp=60
        >
        > I've got a client with a similar sort of structure, so these pages
        > always show the most "views" and "visitors" since they are accessed
        > repeatedly, although displaying different information based on the
        > variables. Any recommendations on how to track such pages when there
        > can be hundreds of variations on the page due to hundreds of products?
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > Dave Culbertson
        > LightBulb Interactive
      • David Culbertson
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 5, 2004
          Fred:

          The product selection is up to me! So far, he has relied on log files
          for a site with many dynamically generated pages. I am going to
          recommend a tagged solution going forward (thanks for the
          websidestory "plug"), but only have log files for creating historical
          trends. I already know all about the differences between log file
          analyzers and tagged analyzers. Combine that with the probable
          inability of any log file analyzer to make sense out of the
          dynamically generated pages and it might not even be worth the effort!

          - Dave Culbertson
          LightBulb Interactive

        • Jim Novo
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 5, 2004
            > Combine that with the probable
            > inability of any log file analyzer to make sense out of the
            > dynamically generated pages and it might not even be worth the effort!

            You can use WebTrends lookup tables to parse log files and create
            intelligent reports using URL parameters. All you have to do is build a
            lookup table that provides a recognizable "report name" for each URL param
            value. Since the software works with either log file or tag data, it's a
            pretty convenient "bridge" solution as you convert. I'm sure you could
            also make this happen with any of the data warehouse-based solutions (e.g.
            CoreMetrics) but you're probably into a higher level of complexity and
            cost.

            Jim
            jim@...

            > - Dave Culbertson
            > LightBulb Interactive
            >
            > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "fkuu325" <fkuu325@y...> wrote:
            > > Hi Dave,
            > > What product is the client using?
            > >
            > > Make sure the product is tracking the entire URL with the query
            > > string. The old software package we used (Accrue) was set up to
            > drop
            > > the query string to conserve resources, which prevented us from
            > > drilling to a more granular level like your client.
            > >
            > > In WebSideStory (I'm not sure about other javascript-based
            > solutions),
            > > you can define the content groups and page names programmatically in
            > > the Javascript code. This means that you can pass in product id's
            > or
            > > product category id's (either by parsing the query string or from
            > the
            > > back-end) into the javascript. This'll allow you to generate
            > reports
            > > off of those variables instead of filtering through individual URLs.
            > >
            > > -Fred Kuu
            > > FindLaw
            > >
            > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "David Culbertson"
            > > <davidsculbertson@y...> wrote:
            > > > Hello Eric and everybody,
            > > >
            > > > I run a small Internet marketing firm and some of clients ask me
            > > > interpret their analytics for them. I mostly know what I am doing
            > due
            > > > to a 12 year career with AOL / CompuServe / Netscape, but your
            > book
            > > > has been a big help. The opening chapter comparing logs to
            > tagging
            > > > has been particularly helpful!
            > > >
            > > > Here is my problem. Are there any solutions to accurately
            > tracking
            > > > dynamically generated pages? Here is an example of the type of
            > page
            > > > that I am talking about:
            > > >
            > > > http://www.buy.com/retail/department.asp?loc=105&mp=60
            > > >
            > > > I've got a client with a similar sort of structure, so these
            > pages
            > > > always show the most "views" and "visitors" since they are
            > accessed
            > > > repeatedly, although displaying different information based on
            > the
            > > > variables. Any recommendations on how to track such pages when
            > there
            > > > can be hundreds of variations on the page due to hundreds of
            > products?
            > > >
            > > > Thanks in advance,
            > > >
            > > > Dave Culbertson
            > > > LightBulb Interactive
            >

            > ---------------------------------------
            > Web Metrics Discussion Group
            > Moderated by Eric T. Peterson
            > Author, Web Analytics Demystified
            > http://www.webanalyticsdemystified.com
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Service.

          • John Marshall - ClickTracks
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 5, 2004
              David,

              The question you asked was tracking a dynamic page accurately, and this is something even lowly logfile analyzers should be capable of. Certainly ClickTracks does this, breaking up the query string into individual parameters that can then have meaning assigned to them, or be totally ignored.

              In other words, associating meaning to dynamic parameters does not require different javascript in those pages. It can be done easily during the post processing phase, and several programs do this.

              John Marshall
              CEO

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 6, 2004
                Jim:

                Thanks for the tip. FYI, I have been reading your e-mailed book
                excerpts and it's next on my list when my budget allows.

                - Dave Culbertson
                LightBulb Interactive