Google Analytics Filter

  • Daniel Waisberg
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 3, 2008
      Hi all,

      I would like to create a filter that would aggregate two very similar pages:
      /example/ and /example (both are the same page, but the second does not not
      have a closing slash).

      Is it possible to do that using a RegEx?

      Thank you very much.
      Daniel Waisberg
      WAA Co-chair of Marketing

    • Jordi Roura
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 3, 2008
        Hi Daniel

        /example$ will match /example only

        Hope this helps! :-)

        Jordi Roura i Rabat
        Web Analyst & Developer

        ATRAPALO.COM
        Aribau 185, 1º 08021 BARCELONA
        Tel. 902200808 Fax. 932687433

        Daniel Waisberg wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I would like to create a filter that would aggregate two very similar
        > pages:
        > /example/ and /example (both are the same page, but the second does
        > not not
        > have a closing slash).
        >
        > Is it possible to do that using a RegEx?
        >
        > Thank you very much.
        > Daniel Waisberg
        > WAA Co-chair of Marketing

      • Veena Kumar
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 3, 2008
          Hi,

          I am learning about cookies at UBC and would like to lookup recommended readings / case studies about cookies and internet privacy. Any suggestions?

          Thanks
          Veena

        • Daniel Waisberg
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 4, 2008
            Hi Jordi,

            this is not what I am looking for. I am looking for a Search and Replace
            filter that will recognize /example and /example/ as one single page in GA
            reports.

            Any ideas?
            Thanks
            Daniel Waisberg

            On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 5:56 PM, Jordi Roura <jroura@...> wrote:

            > Hi Daniel
            >
            > /example$ will match /example only
            >
            > Hope this helps! :-)
            >
            > Jordi Roura i Rabat
            > Web Analyst & Developer
            >
            > ATRAPALO.COM
            > Aribau 185, 1º 08021 BARCELONA
            > Tel. 902200808 Fax. 932687433
            >

            > Daniel Waisberg wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi all,
            > >
            > > I would like to create a filter that would aggregate two very similar
            > > pages:
            > > /example/ and /example (both are the same page, but the second does
            > > not not
            > > have a closing slash).
            > >
            > > Is it possible to do that using a RegEx?
            > >
            > > Thank you very much.
            > > Daniel Waisberg
            > > WAA Co-chair of Marketing

          • ALEX BRASIL
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 4, 2008
              What would happen if you created two Search and Replace filter's and simply pointed the replace string to the same location?

              Alex

              Daniel Waisberg <dwaisberg@...> wrote: Hi Jordi,

              this is not what I am looking for. I am looking for a Search and Replace
              filter that will recognize /example and /example/ as one single page in GA
              reports.

              Any ideas?
              Thanks
              Daniel Waisberg

              On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 5:56 PM, Jordi Roura <jroura@...> wrote:

              > Hi Daniel
              >
              > /example$ will match /example only
              >
              > Hope this helps! :-)
              >
              > Jordi Roura i Rabat
              > Web Analyst & Developer
              >
              > ATRAPALO.COM
              > Aribau 185, 1º 08021 BARCELONA
              > Tel. 902200808 Fax. 932687433
              >

              > Daniel Waisberg wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi all,
              > >
              > > I would like to create a filter that would aggregate two very similar
              > > pages:
              > > /example/ and /example (both are the same page, but the second does
              > > not not
              > > have a closing slash).
              > >
              > > Is it possible to do that using a RegEx?
              > >
              > > Thank you very much.
              > > Daniel Waisberg
              > > WAA Co-chair of Marketing

            • londonturu
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 4, 2008
                Hi Daniel,

                I think Jordi is going in the right direction.

                I'm not sure if search and replace filters support regex, I think it
                doesn't.

                That's why you have to use an advanced filter.

                This is how

                Select REQUEST URI in Field A and use Jordi's expression ^/example$

                Select REQUEST URI in Output To and write /example/

                That will rewrite /example to /example/ and you will have both content
                merged into one (/example/)

                I will suggest merging the other way, /example/ to /example because
                /example/ has an extra directory level.

                Bye,

                Andres
                --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Jordi Roura <jroura@...> wrote:

                > Hi Daniel
                >
                > /example$ will match /example only
                >
                > Hope this helps! :-)
                >
                > Jordi Roura i Rabat
                > Web Analyst & Developer
                >
                > ATRAPALO.COM
                > Aribau 185, 1º 08021 BARCELONA
                > Tel. 902200808 Fax. 932687433
                >

                > Daniel Waisberg wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi all,
                > >
                > > I would like to create a filter that would aggregate two very similar
                > > pages:
                > > /example/ and /example (both are the same page, but the second does
                > > not not
                > > have a closing slash).
                > >
                > > Is it possible to do that using a RegEx?
                > >
                > > Thank you very much.
                > > Daniel Waisberg
                > > WAA Co-chair of Marketing

              • Jaimie Scott
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 4, 2008
                  Hello Daniel,

                  I don't know if I'm missing something here, but since nobody else has
                  answered your question I'll weigh in. Are you simply looking for a
                  RegEx or is it the type of filter to use that is the issue? If it is
                  the RegEx, I hate to ask the obvious, but have you tried
                  [/example/|/example] I can think of a number of ways to accomplish the
                  same thing, but this is probably the easiest solution that comes to
                  mind. I'm assuming either I'm missing something or this won't work in
                  your particular case for some reason.

                  Jaimie

                  --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Waisberg" <dwaisberg@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Hi all,
                  >
                  > I would like to create a filter that would aggregate two very
                  similar pages:
                  > /example/ and /example (both are the same page, but the second does
                  not not
                  > have a closing slash).
                  >
                  > Is it possible to do that using a RegEx?
                  >
                  > Thank you very much.
                  > Daniel Waisberg
                  > WAA Co-chair of Marketing

                • Claudiu Murariu
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 5, 2008
                    Wouldn't it be much easier to handle all this within your website?
                    A .htaccess redirect from /example/ to /example or the other way around
                    should fix the Google Analytics issue.
                    If you have it on many subdirectories, than RegEX would come into play.
                    I think it would look something like this (please check before
                    implementing):

                    RewriteRule /(.*)/$ /$1 [R,NE]

                    my 2 cents.
                    Claudiu Murariu

                    On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 10:14 PM, Jaimie Scott <jaimie.scott@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Hello Daniel,
                    >
                    > I don't know if I'm missing something here, but since nobody else has
                    > answered your question I'll weigh in. Are you simply looking for a
                    > RegEx or is it the type of filter to use that is the issue? If it is
                    > the RegEx, I hate to ask the obvious, but have you tried
                    > [/example/|/example] I can think of a number of ways to accomplish the
                    > same thing, but this is probably the easiest solution that comes to
                    > mind. I'm assuming either I'm missing something or this won't work in
                    > your particular case for some reason.
                    >
                    > Jaimie
                    >
                    > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>,
                    > "Daniel Waisberg" <dwaisberg@...>
                    > wrote:
                    >

                    > > Hi all,
                    > >
                    > > I would like to create a filter that would aggregate two very
                    > similar pages:
                    > > /example/ and /example (both are the same page, but the second does
                    > not not
                    > > have a closing slash).
                    > >
                    > > Is it possible to do that using a RegEx?
                    > >
                    > > Thank you very much.
                    > > Daniel Waisberg
                    > > WAA Co-chair of Marketing

                  • Rod Jacka
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 5, 2008
                      Hi Daniel,

                      Try

                      ^/example/?$ for exact match or

                      /? = the / character either 0 matches or 1 match

                      $ = end of string

                      ^/example($|/.*) for pages and subdirectories to match.

                      ($|/.*) = either $ end of string or /.* with a slash and something else.

                      Best

                      Rod

                      Rod Jacka
                      Managing Director

                      Panalysis Pty Ltd
                      T: 1300 368 553 Int'l: +61 2 8001 6330
                      M: 0421 069 091 E: rod@...
                      <http://www.panalysis.com/> www.panalysis.com

                      Download our free white paper - Getting Results from Your Website
                      www.panalysis.com/getting_results/

                      Enterprise Search, Marketing Optimisation, Web Analytics Support &
                      Consulting Services
                      Authorised Google Enterprise Partner

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 10, 2008
                        Thanks a lot Claudiu, your solution looks really elegant and that is exactly
                        what I was looking for. In the second step (in case my client is against it)
                        I would use the Google filter described by Andres, which is a good solution
                        that would not involve coding but is quite a burden for a site with lots of
                        rewrites like the one I am working for.

                        Thank you all for the insights.
                        Daniel Waisberg

                        On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 11:40 AM, Claudiu Murariu <contact@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Wouldn't it be much easier to handle all this within your website?
                        > A .htaccess redirect from /example/ to /example or the other way around
                        > should fix the Google Analytics issue.
                        > If you have it on many subdirectories, than RegEX would come into play.
                        > I think it would look something like this (please check before
                        > implementing):
                        >
                        > RewriteRule /(.*)/$ /$1 [R,NE]
                        >
                        > my 2 cents.
                        > Claudiu Murariu
                        >
                        > On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 10:14 PM, Jaimie Scott <jaimie.scott@...<jaimie.scott%40gmail.com>
                        > >
                        > wrote:
                        >

                        > > Hello Daniel,
                        > >
                        > > I don't know if I'm missing something here, but since nobody else has
                        > > answered your question I'll weigh in. Are you simply looking for a
                        > > RegEx or is it the type of filter to use that is the issue? If it is
                        > > the RegEx, I hate to ask the obvious, but have you tried
                        > > [/example/|/example] I can think of a number of ways to accomplish the
                        > > same thing, but this is probably the easiest solution that comes to
                        > > mind. I'm assuming either I'm missing something or this won't work in
                        > > your particular case for some reason.
                        > >
                        > > Jaimie
                        > >
                        > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com><webanalytics%
                        > 40yahoogroups.com>,
                        > > "Daniel Waisberg" <dwaisberg@...>
                        > > wrote:
                        > >

                        > > > Hi all,
                        > > >
                        > > > I would like to create a filter that would aggregate two very
                        > > similar pages:
                        > > > /example/ and /example (both are the same page, but the second does
                        > > not not
                        > > > have a closing slash).
                        > > >
                        > > > Is it possible to do that using a RegEx?
                        > > >
                        > > > Thank you very much.
                        > > > Daniel Waisberg
                        > > > WAA Co-chair of Marketing

                      • Allaedin Ezzedin
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 30 9:25 AM
                          Hi Daniel,

                          Yes, you can do this using “Search & Replace” filter as following:

                          Filter Field: Request URl

                          Search String: /example/

                          Replace String: /example

                          For more information:

                          http://www.e-nor.com/blog/index.php/web-analytics/cleanup-your-urls-with-sea
                          rch-and-replace-filters/

                          Thank you,

                          Allaedin Ezzedin

                          E-Nor, Inc.

                          http://www.e-nor.com <http://www.e-nor.com/>

                          ________________________________

                          From: webanalytics@yahoogroups.com [mailto:webanalytics@yahoogroups.com] On
                          Behalf Of Daniel Waisberg

                          Hi Jordi,

                          this is not what I am looking for. I am looking for a Search and Replace

                          filter that will recognize /example and /example/ as one single page in GA

                          reports.

                          Any ideas?

                          Thanks

                          Daniel Waisberg

                          > Hi Daniel

                          > /example$ will match /example only

                          > Hope this helps! :-)

                          > Jordi Roura i Rabat

                          > Web Analyst & Developer

                          > ATRAPALO.COM

                          > Aribau 185, 1º 08021 BARCELONA

                          > Tel. 902200808 Fax. 932687433

                          > Daniel Waisberg wrote:

                          > > Hi all,

                          > > I would like to create a filter that would aggregate two very similar

                          > > pages:

                          > > /example/ and /example (both are the same page, but the second does

                          > > not not

                          > > have a closing slash).

                          > > Is it possible to do that using a RegEx?

                          > > Thank you very much.

                          > > Daniel Waisberg

                          > > WAA Co-chair of Marketing

                        • jason6346
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 3, 2012
                            Hi all,

                            I am trying to set up a filter in google analytics that only captures traffic where visitors enter either via a subdirectory i.e www.domain.com/uk/uk (so in this case anyone entering with uk/uk) also anyone coming via www.domain.com/dynamic/test?_LANG=UK&country=UK&lang=UK (and in this case anyone entering with the value of country=UK)

                            How would i set up a filter that includes traffic that only consists of those two requirements above?

                            your asistance will be much appreciated.

                            Thanks

                            Jason
                          • Allaedin Ezzedin
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 4, 2012
                              Hi Jason,

                              Since you can't create a profile filter base on a landing page URL, I
                              suggest that you fire a unique virtual page when visitors enter your site
                              through the landing page/s in question.

                              _gaq.push(['_trackPageview', '/landing-page/xyz.html']); // make
                              sure this virtual page is fired only when in it is a landing page!

                              Now at the account level create a profile that excludes any visits where
                              this page is part of the session

                              . Filter Type: Custom Filter >> Exclude

                              . Filter Field: Request URL

                              . Filter Pattern: /landing-page/xyz.html

                              . Case Sensitive: No

                              Good luck,

                              -Allaedin Ezzedin-

                              Senior Web Analyst | E-Nor Inc.

                              408.988.0003 x 114 | @AllaedinEzzedin <http://twitter.com/AllaedinEzzedin>
                              <https://plus.google.com/110493730312224281203/about>

                              <http://www.domain.com/dynamic/test?_LANG=UK&country=UK&lang=UK>

                              Message 14 of 18 , May 8, 2012
                                Hi Allaedin,

                                Thanks for your reply.

                                Is this the only way it can be done? Cant this be done simply via the user interface and without having to add the _gaq.push(['_trackPageview',code? We have techinical contraints over here so any additional code would need to go through a release cycle which could take a while.

                                Thanks

                                Jason

                                --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Allaedin Ezzedin" <allaedin@...> wrote:

                                > Hi Jason,
                                >

                                > Since you can't create a profile filter base on a landing page URL, I
                                > suggest that you fire a unique virtual page when visitors enter your site
                                > through the landing page/s in question.
                                >

                                > _gaq.push(['_trackPageview', '/landing-page/xyz.html']); // make
                                > sure this virtual page is fired only when in it is a landing page!
                                >

                                > Now at the account level create a profile that excludes any visits where
                                > this page is part of the session
                                >
                                > . Filter Type: Custom Filter >> Exclude
                                >
                                > . Filter Field: Request URL
                                >
                                > . Filter Pattern: /landing-page/xyz.html
                                >
                                > . Case Sensitive: No
                                >

                                > Good luck,
                                >

                                > -Allaedin Ezzedin-
                                >
                                > Senior Web Analyst | E-Nor Inc.
                                >
                                > 408.988.0003 x 114 | @AllaedinEzzedin <http://twitter.com/AllaedinEzzedin>
                                > | LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/allaedinezzedin> | Google+
                                > <https://plus.google.com/110493730312224281203/about>

                              • Omelchenko Alla
                                Message 15 of 18 , May 8, 2012
                                  Can you do it via regex?
                                  Custom filter based on Request URI. Filter pattern: (/uk/uk.*|/dynamic/test.*country=UK.*) Something like that.

                                  Alla

                                  ________________________________

                                  --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>, "Allaedin Ezzedin" <allaedin@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Jason,
                                  >

                                  > Since you can't create a profile filter base on a landing page URL, I
                                  > suggest that you fire a unique virtual page when visitors enter your site
                                  > through the landing page/s in question.
                                  >

                                  > _gaq.push(['_trackPageview', '/landing-page/xyz.html']); // make
                                  > sure this virtual page is fired only when in it is a landing page!
                                  >

                                  > Now at the account level create a profile that excludes any visits where
                                  > this page is part of the session
                                  >
                                  > . Filter Type: Custom Filter >> Exclude
                                  >
                                  > . Filter Field: Request URL
                                  >
                                  > . Filter Pattern: /landing-page/xyz.html
                                  >
                                  > . Case Sensitive: No
                                  >

                                  > Good luck,
                                  >

                                  > -Allaedin Ezzedin-
                                  >
                                  > Senior Web Analyst | E-Nor Inc.
                                  >
                                  > 408.988.0003 x 114 | @AllaedinEzzedin <http://twitter.com/AllaedinEzzedin>
                                  > | LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/allaedinezzedin> | Google+
                                  > <https://plus.google.com/110493730312224281203/about>

                                  ________________________________
                                  This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. No one else is authorised to distribute, forward, print, copy or act upon any information contained in this email. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender.

                                  Hiscox Syndicates Limited, Hiscox Insurance Company Limited, Hiscox Underwriting Limited, Hiscox Europe Underwriting Limited and Hiscox ASM Limited are authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Hiscox plc is a company registered in England and Wales under company registration number 2837811 and registered office at 1 Great St Helen's, London EC3A 6HX.

                                • Peter O'Neill
                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 8, 2012
                                    Hi Jason,

                                    Why don't you just use an Advanced Segment? Landing Page starts with /uk/uk OR Landing Page contains country=UK.

                                    Cheers

                                    Peter

                                    --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "jason6346" <darkus1@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi Allaedin,
                                    >
                                    > Thanks for your reply.
                                    >
                                    > Is this the only way it can be done? Cant this be done simply via the user interface and without having to add the _gaq.push(['_trackPageview',code? We have techinical contraints over here so any additional code would need to go through a release cycle which could take a while.
                                    >
                                    > Thanks
                                    >
                                    > Jason
                                    >
                                    > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Allaedin Ezzedin" <allaedin@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Hi Jason,
                                    > >

                                    > > Since you can't create a profile filter base on a landing page URL, I
                                    > > suggest that you fire a unique virtual page when visitors enter your site
                                    > > through the landing page/s in question.
                                    > >

                                    > > _gaq.push(['_trackPageview', '/landing-page/xyz.html']); // make
                                    > > sure this virtual page is fired only when in it is a landing page!
                                    > >

                                    > > Now at the account level create a profile that excludes any visits where
                                    > > this page is part of the session
                                    > >
                                    > > . Filter Type: Custom Filter >> Exclude
                                    > >
                                    > > . Filter Field: Request URL
                                    > >
                                    > > . Filter Pattern: /landing-page/xyz.html
                                    > >
                                    > > . Case Sensitive: No
                                    > >

                                    > > Good luck,
                                    > >

                                    > > -Allaedin Ezzedin-
                                    > >
                                    > > Senior Web Analyst | E-Nor Inc.
                                    > >
                                    > > 408.988.0003 x 114 | @AllaedinEzzedin <http://twitter.com/AllaedinEzzedin>
                                    > > | LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/allaedinezzedin> | Google+
                                    > > <https://plus.google.com/110493730312224281203/about>

                                  • ju2ltd
                                    Message 17 of 18 , May 8, 2012
                                      Daniel,

                                      I suggest a the following Search & Replace Custom Filter:

                                      Filter Field : Request URI
                                      Search String ^/example/$
                                      Replace String: /example

                                      this will replace all pages called /example with /example/ so that you only have one version of the page.

                                      Hope this helps.

                                      Jim.

                                      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Waisberg" <dwaisberg@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi all,
                                      >
                                      > I would like to create a filter that would aggregate two very similar pages:
                                      > /example/ and /example (both are the same page, but the second does not not
                                      > have a closing slash).
                                      >
                                      > Is it possible to do that using a RegEx?
                                      >
                                      > Thank you very much.
                                      > Daniel Waisberg
                                      > WAA Co-chair of Marketing

                                    • jason6346
                                      Message 18 of 18 , May 9, 2012
                                        Hi Peter,

                                        Thanks for your response also. The reasonI hadn't created an advanced filter was because we want independent profiles based on countires selected from our site. We then also want to be able to create funnel reports on these also, which GA wont allow you to do with an advanced segment.

                                        Thanks

                                        Jason