AJAX Type Web Applications

  • jimmacintyreiv
    Message 1 of 51 , Mar 18, 2005
      I thought I might start a new thread to give those that are a bit
      weary of the current one something new to read.

      Over the last months I have come across a number of companies that
      are in the process of or are planning to deploy AJAX type web
      applications.

      There is no specific standard that has developed here it seems, but
      the basic idea is the loading of the web browser with a set of
      javascript GUI foundation classes that live in the browser cache and
      then passing in UI control instructions and XML data using
      XMLHttpRequest or other method of feeding the client transactional or
      other data as well as instructions as to what the UI should do.

      The result is that the multitude of HTTP requests typically need to
      render a web page don't happen and the UI/page is largely put
      together within the browser. This is starting to become quite
      popular, even an article showed up in WSJ the other day referencing
      AJAX.

      Yesterday I sat through a confidential demonstration of an "AJAX"
      development toolkit product with my VC hat on. The product was really
      quite interesting. A sum total of 25K of javascript was loaded into
      the browser and cached, less than the size of many vendors page
      tags! Then there was an IDE that let you develop applications that
      you would think where made with Visual Basic or Visual C++. I'll
      tell you all who this development toolkit company is as soon as they
      want to be announced.

      This AJAX type development environment was used to build a number of
      applications that looked pretty much like a Windows MDI based client-
      server applications. It was really really fast for a web based
      application. This was done with no Java, no ActiveX, etc. Only some
      javascript libraries. Wow was it fast for a web application. In
      most cases subsecond response times to render the next page. . .

      So I spent some time yesterday working on issues surrounding the
      tagging of such an application with those folks. Also spent a bit of
      time on the use of web analytics tools in measuring the performance
      difference between such AJAX based applications and typical web
      applications. I have to tell you that the difference was DRAMATIC,
      e.g. <3 seconds for a typical AJAX type page vs. 15+ seconds for a
      similar page done in traditional fashion. The basis of this that
      maybe one or two HTTP requests was being made per page. . .not the
      typical 20-50.

      Some of you might have noticed how fast the Gmail web based mail
      client is. . . they are using a similar method for that UI . . .

      I was hoping to kick up a thread on this topic and hear of any
      experience the group has had in building and measuring AJAX type web
      applications. . .

      Best regards,

      Jim MacIntyre
      Visual Sciences
    • Jakari Barbee
      Message 51 of 51 , Apr 4, 2005

        I’ll personally just wait on Microsoft to introduce the next version of IE which probably won’t even run Flash if that’s the case…and we’ll see how they like that one!!!

        Jakari Barbee | eMetrics Strategist |

         jakari@... | WebMetro.com

        Phone: 909.599.8885 Ext.126 | Fax: 909.599.8887 |

        160 East Via Verde Ave, Suite 220 | San Dimas, CA 91773 |