Re: Server calls vs. page views

  • bryan.cristina
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2008
      What company's doing that?

      They're trying to get you to pay more money.

      Right now if you go by page views, you're paying for each page view.
      If you go by server calls, you're going to pay for each page view,
      each javascript event, each flash event, etc that you've coded to
      track. Meaning do you code that file download? Server call. Flash
      play/pause button? Server call. Form fields? Server call.

      Now, it might be different if they said before you were paying for 1
      million page views a month but now you'll be doing 8 million server
      calls/events for about the same price. But if it's 1:1 you're going
      to pay through the nose. Although heck, I'm sure most of the
      companies don't care what it is, a hit to their server is a hit and
      you're charged so many.

      is this a data analysis (they report and analyze your data) vendor?

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "jgduex" <jgduex@...> wrote:

      > I am in the process of re-negotiating my contract with my web analytics
      > provided and they are recommending that we move from a page view type
      > of data capture model to a server call approach. I am just wondering
      > if any of you have had a similar experience and if so what did you
      > learn from the experience? Is there any thing I should be cautious of
      > when considering this new approach?

    • Stephane Hamel
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2008
        The reality is that each vendor is probably moving from page views to
        server calls (or should we dare to say "events"?!). With the advent of
        web 2.0 with Ajax, video, Flash, it just makes sense to pay more if we
        use their infrastructure more. A whole site in Flash might be just one
        page, but I could embed hundreds of analytics calls in there...

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "bryan.cristina"
        <bryan.cristina@...> wrote:

        > What company's doing that?
        >
        > They're trying to get you to pay more money.
        >
        > Right now if you go by page views, you're paying for each page view.
        > If you go by server calls, you're going to pay for each page view,
        > each javascript event, each flash event, etc that you've coded to
        > track. Meaning do you code that file download? Server call. Flash
        > play/pause button? Server call. Form fields? Server call.
        >
        > Now, it might be different if they said before you were paying for 1
        > million page views a month but now you'll be doing 8 million server
        > calls/events for about the same price. But if it's 1:1 you're going
        > to pay through the nose. Although heck, I'm sure most of the
        > companies don't care what it is, a hit to their server is a hit and
        > you're charged so many.
        >
        > is this a data analysis (they report and analyze your data) vendor?
        >
        > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "jgduex" <jgduex@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I am in the process of re-negotiating my contract with my web
        analytics
        > > provided and they are recommending that we move from a page view type
        > > of data capture model to a server call approach. I am just wondering
        > > if any of you have had a similar experience and if so what did you
        > > learn from the experience? Is there any thing I should be
        cautious of
        > > when considering this new approach?

      • vabeachkevin
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2008
          I see a lot of companies doing this. Mainly due to the increased
          number os sites using flash and other technologies. An all flash site
          could have a user navigate all over the place, but still only be
          looked at as a single page view. If you are not using any of that
          stuff then its nothing to worry about. Ask your rep what the server
          calls to page view equivelent is. HBX had mad this change a while
          ago. I was paying for 4.5 billion page views, then they changed it to
          an event based system and my 4.5 billion page views equaled aboout 7
          billion events. Your rep should be able to explain this all to you.

          Kevin

          <bryan.cristina@...> wrote:

          > What company's doing that?
          >
          > They're trying to get you to pay more money.
          >
          > Right now if you go by page views, you're paying for each page
          view.
          > If you go by server calls, you're going to pay for each page view,
          > each javascript event, each flash event, etc that you've coded to
          > track. Meaning do you code that file download? Server call. Flash
          > play/pause button? Server call. Form fields? Server call.
          >
          > Now, it might be different if they said before you were paying for 1
          > million page views a month but now you'll be doing 8 million server
          > calls/events for about the same price. But if it's 1:1 you're going
          > to pay through the nose. Although heck, I'm sure most of the
          > companies don't care what it is, a hit to their server is a hit and
          > you're charged so many.
          >
          > is this a data analysis (they report and analyze your data) vendor?
          >
          > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "jgduex" <jgduex@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I am in the process of re-negotiating my contract with my web
          analytics
          > > provided and they are recommending that we move from a page view
          type
          > > of data capture model to a server call approach. I am just
          wondering
          > > if any of you have had a similar experience and if so what did
          you
          > > learn from the experience? Is there any thing I should be
          cautious of
          > > when considering this new approach?

        • Craig Sullivan
          Message 4 of 5 , May 6, 2008
            Hi,

            I think events is a more accurate term rather than calls.

            Take for example, the population of a page that has a tabbed interface.

            We may background load all the tab contents to return control faster to
            the customer. Does that count as a customer initiated event? No.

            What does then? Well, it would be clicking on that tab, rather than the
            collection of the data in the first place. We may even eschew counting
            this as an event at all, if we don't need to track to this level.

            The answer is that there isn't a standard way to define what is and
            isn't an event or view - much depends on the way the javascript and XML
            are handled. Programmers can drag big lumps of data from the server or
            simply do a lot of smaller calls as needed - the tracking may be the
            same for both, but the touches to the server differ.

            Regards,

            <http://www.lovefilm.com/>

            Craig Sullivan

            Product Manager - Digital and Usability
            LOVEFiLM.com <http://www.lovefilm.com/>

            No.9 | 6 Portal Way | London | W3 6RU
            T: (020) 8896 8050 | M: (0)7711 657315 | F: 0208 896 8110
            craig.sullivan@...

            ________________________________

            The reality is that each vendor is probably moving from page views to
            server calls (or should we dare to say "events"?!). With the advent of
            web 2.0 with Ajax, video, Flash, it just makes sense to pay more if we
            use their infrastructure more. A whole site in Flash might be just one
            page, but I could embed hundreds of analytics calls in there...

            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com
            <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com> , "bryan.cristina"

            <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com> , "jgduex" <jgduex@> wrote:

            > > I am in the process of re-negotiating my contract with my web
            analytics
            > > provided and they are recommending that we move from a page view
            type
            > > of data capture model to a server call approach. I am just wondering

            > > if any of you have had a similar experience and if so what did you
            > > learn from the experience? Is there any thing I should be
            cautious of
            > > when considering this new approach?

            Click here
            <https://www.mailcontrol.com/sr/wQw0zmjPoHdJTZGyOCrrhg==
            NXuiv79dN7981Sv4SI3V+YVA2RWVuKdcb4dHQQNWP1WCLiBAywI6zihA8tV1S1Rr0qf9uG7K
            MWkFIy1pnqufudAMvt0XYKkRErCQLNGOjP661sLiCfHqUBwerbdW8Oyhg4vLnH3VenH3SR3M
            H!H!QsuTm2P4lnBBZi4b9UosrP7FBLpGbLGuD7g!> to report this email as spam.

            LOVEFiLM International Limited is a company registered in England and Wales. Registered Number: 04392195. Registered Office: No.9, 6 Portal Way, London W3 6RU, United Kingdom.

            This e-mail is confidential to the ordinary user of the e-mail address to which it was addressed. If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system and notify the sender immediately.