Measuring indirect response...

  • Matt Belkin
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2004
      Hi all,

      In the spirit of contributing to more constructive discussion, I wanted to
      inquire about some industry best-practices :) Specifically, I'd be
      interested in hearing how some of you measure indirect marketing response
      with Web Analytics.

      For instance, we send out numerous email campaigns - all of which feature
      link-level tags (i.e. our "Buy Now" link is tagged uniquely, our "Learn
      More" link is tagged uniquely, etc). However, our target users do not
      necessarily click on the tagged links when they respond - some of them
      simply receieve an email, see that we're offering a promotion of sorts, and
      then type in our company URL. Obviously standard link-level tags do not
      capture this.

      Instead, we apply 'lift estimates' to the direct response based on a variety
      of back-channel techniques. However, this approach inherently assumes all
      campaigns perform equally (direct vs. indirect) and that is categorically
      not true. We often see significant swings based on call-to-action, product
      ASP, timing, etc. Does anyone else out there deal with this issue and if
      so, how?

      Thanks, Matt.