RE: [webanalytics] Re: Did any of you see this announcement?

  • Cornwell, Melissa
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 9, 2005
      Another vendor you might consider is Compete they do similar analysis as comScore. www.compete.com
      -----Original Message-----
      From: jimmacintyreiv [mailto:jim@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2005 5:06 AM
      To: webanalytics@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [webanalytics] Re: Did any of you see this announcement?

      Dave,

      Your client might consider getting comparative/competitive metrics
      from comScore Netowrks for the particular sites that make sense as a
      benchmark verses a set composed from the clients of a particular web
      analytics vendor.  The primary requirement is that your client's site
      and the competitive sites are large enough in terms of traffic such
      that the traffic collected from comScore's panel is representative.

      Best regards,

      Jim

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "David Culbertson"
      <davidsculbertson@y...> wrote:

      > Hi Eric,
      >
      > One of my sometimes clients is a very large and well-known
      retailer.
      > They use coremetrics and said that they were pushing for this last
      > summer in partnership with another very large and well-known
      retailer
      > that also uses Coremetrics.
      >
      > While I won't claim to know each web analytics vendor's focus, my
      > client says that core metrics is focused on specialty retailers;
      > i.e., those that sell merchandise primarily under their own brand.
      >
      > From my client's perspective, this benchmarking data will be
      largely
      > apples to apple since most of the participatin are the in same sort
      > of e-commerce. Still, I think you're probably right. Many elements
      of
      > each participating companies website will be unique (copy, design,
      > prices, audience!, etc.) so I just don't see how the benchmark can
      > really be relevant.
      >
      > On the other hand, if they could get web analytics for their
      biggest
      > competitor.....
      >
      > - David Culbertson
      > LightBulbInteractive.com
      >
      > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Eric Peterson
      > <eric.peterson@g...> wrote:
      > > http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?
      > ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/03-08-2005/0003156987&EDATE=
      > >
      > > I'm interested to know how folks in the group percieve comparative
      > > benchmarking tools like the one Coremetrics announced today
      > > (LIVEmark).  Fireclick has had something like this for some time
      > > (Fireclick Index) and I know that companies frequently ask about
      > > benchmarking numbers to compare themselves to, especially in the
      > > online retail arena.
      > >
      > > To be honest I usually recommend that companies benchmark against
      > > themselves (use the continuous improvement process) because it's
      so
      > > hard to get reliable, accurate third-party data to compare
      yourself
      > > against.  Plus, given the variability in how companies generate
      > > conversion rates you might be comparing apples and oranges (data
      > > suggests that this is the most common occurrance).
      > >
      > > What do you folks think about comparative benchmarking tools?
      > > --
      > > Eric T. Peterson
      > > Author, Web Analytics Demystified
      > > www.webanalyticsdemystified.com
      > >
      > > Have you joined the Metrics Discussion Group?  Email
      > > webanalytics-subscribe@yahoogroups.com to join today!

      Web Metrics Discussion Group
      Moderated by Eric T. Peterson
      Author, Web Analytics Demystified