webtrends - report limits - question

  • mchoe_luxury
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2008
      i recently changed the table limit setting of a report from 200 to
      2000. when i view the report for a day i can see up to 2000 records.
      when i view the report for a month i can see up to 2000 records.

      here is the problem:
      when i view the report for a week, i can only see *200* records. for
      some reason, the week view ignored my table limit increase.

      how can i fix this problem? is this problem fixable?
    • Dash Lavine
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2008
        It would be best to contact our technical support department directly
        regarding this issue. This can be done electronically via the
        following link:

        http://www.webtrends.com/support.aspx

        or by telephone using one of these numbers:

        The Americas, Australia and Asia +1 503-223-3023

        (Monday through Friday)
        Pacific 5:00am to 5:00pm PST
        Eastern 8:00am to 8:00pm EST

        Europe, Middle East and Africa +44 (0) 1784 463 555

        (Monday through Friday)
        London 9:00am to 5:00pm GMT
        Munich 10:00am to 6:00pm CET

        Cheers.

        Dash Lavine
        WebTrends

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "mchoe_luxury" <mchoe@...> wrote:

        > i recently changed the table limit setting of a report from 200 to
        > 2000. when i view the report for a day i can see up to 2000
        records.
        > when i view the report for a month i can see up to 2000 records.
        >
        > here is the problem:
        > when i view the report for a week, i can only see *200* records.
        for
        > some reason, the week view ignored my table limit increase.
        >
        > how can i fix this problem? is this problem fixable?

      • Iain Murphy
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
          The table limit change probably has had an effect; however the changes are not retrospective so from now on, the new daily, weekly, monthly and so on reports will show the top 2000 entries for that report.

          Hope this helps.
          Iain

          SPIWEB Consultancy Limited

        • mchoe_luxury
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
            iain,

            your response makes sense...

            however i did notice for another report, where i increased the report
            limit from 200 to 2000, at the same time, the changes were
            'retrospective'. which made me wonder why 1 report allows for
            retrospective changes and another report does not allow for it.

            not that big a deal.

            thanks for your assistance.
            michael

            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Iain Murphy <iain.murphy@...> wrote:

            > The table limit change probably has had an effect; however the
            changes are not retrospective so from now on, the new daily, weekly,
            monthly and so on reports will show the top 2000 entries for that report.

            > Hope this helps.
            > Iain
            >
            > SPIWEB Consultancy Limited

          • Jay Allen
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
              "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
              - - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride

              Sorry, but I believe the term is "retroactive."

              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>
              , Iain Murphy <iain.murphy@...> wrote:

              > The table limit change probably has had an effect; however the
              changes are not retrospective so from now on, the new daily, weekly,
              monthly and so on reports will show the top 2000 entries for that report.

              > Hope this helps.
              > Iain
              >
              > SPIWEB Consultancy Limited

            • April D. Hannah Moore
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 4, 2008
                Hello, Michael. There are several different settings to consider here;
                one is the setting that governs how much data is analyzed for a table
                (the dreaded table limit), and another is the report display setting
                that governs how much data actually displays. Still another setting is
                the template setting, which specifies how many results will display by
                default.

                If you report analysis limit was set to 2000, but the report display
                limit was set to 200, you could change the display limit and it would
                indeed show the additional results -- up to 2000 -- because you had
                set WebTrends to analyze up to 2000 entries. The only thing that
                limited it to showing only 200 was the fact that the report itself was
                set to display only 200 results. So, in this instance, it might appear
                the change was retroactive, but, in fact, the additional data had
                already been analyzed by WebTrends. The display limit simply prevented
                the full amount of analyzed data from displaying in the report.

                On the other hand, if the report analysis limit is set to 200, making
                changes to the report's display limit or to the template will not
                increase the amount of data shown because that data hasn't actually
                been processed. Once the data is processed, with the new increased
                analysis limit, additional data will show as long as it is not
                prevented from doing so by the report's display limit.

                Gosh, in re-reading this, I'm not terribly sure I've cleared anything
                up at all! In any case, while reading your reply, it occurred to me
                that perhaps in one case the report display limit was the true
                constraint, while in the other case, the analysis limit was the
                constraint. If the analysis limit is the constraint, the additional
                data will not show up retroacively without a complete reanalysis of
                the historic data. If it's a display limit, simply increasing that
                will usually fix the problem; the next time the data analyzes you
                should have additional historic data. If it's a template limit, you
                may see increased data as soon as you save the template with the new
                settings.

                Hope this makes sense. If not, please feel free to email me with
                further questions.

                Here's a quick troubleshooting tip. If you can't easily get under the
                hood to determine what's going on with these limits, check the bottom
                of the report in question. A report display limit will be indicated by
                inclusion of the value "Other" at the bottom of the table and you'll
                often see a nice, big round number for the total number of results. If
                you see an entry that says "show all subrows," then this means you
                have hit a template limit. If it's none of these, then have your Admin
                check the profile's table sizes.

                Have a great weekend.

                April D. Moore
                WebTrends Senior Strategic Analyst