0 non-persistent cookied users!?

  • cindydadon
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2008
      Hello,

      I'm seeing that my site is getting 0 non-persistent cookied users for
      the past year. that means that EVERYONE coming to my site accepts
      cookies!? that doesn't seem right. has anyone else ever seen this
      before?

      If this obviously a bug, can you tell me how you've solved it?
    • Riaan Jacobs
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2008
        Hi Cindy,

        I recall a similar incident with one of our SiteCatalyst clients in
        which their cookies report showed that almost all visitors to their site
        did not accept first party cookies, which was very unlikely. The reason
        was that in the SiteCatalyst configuration file (s_code.js) you need to
        explicitly define the amount of periods in your website's domain (i.e.
        www.capetownblog.co.za would have the value set to 3,
        www.blogsouthafrica.net would have the value set to 2 etc), the variable
        itself being "cookieDomainPeriods".

        The SiteCatalyst JavaScript file uses the cookieDomainPeriods variable
        to determine the domain with which to set cookies. The variable also
        affects cookies used by SiteCatalyst plug-ins. If that variable is set
        incorrectly e.g. If cookieDomainPeriods is set to "2," but the domain of
        the site is www.blogsouthafrica.net, the JavaScript file will attempt to
        set a cookie with the domain "blogsouthafrica.net" which the browser
        will reject and would mean that the cookie will not be created and the
        cookies report will show that almost 100% of visitors rejected first
        party cookies.

        Regards,

        Riaan Jacobs

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2008
          Well, a lot of that might depend on what tool you're using. If you
          could provide a bit more information, settings, etc some people who
          have dealt with these issues may be able to help.