Webtrends SDC: Monitoring

  • samratdsouza
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 31, 2008
      Hi

      I have been working with webtrends for around 2.5+ years now, however
      a novice with SDC.

      We are about to go live with SDC for one of our clients.
      However, we are intimidated about the part of SDC being up and
      running 24/7. We need to have a good monitoring in place before we
      shift to SDC.

      Reason of concern: more than 200 website owners all excited to shift
      to SDC, Could come in a phase or all together :).

      In short, I've read the monitoring document.

      Thought of some scenarios like:

      Log Existence (we have multiple sites running, more than 200):
      We ping the sdc machine with a website dCSID and then check whether
      the log is there or not. we set it rotate every hour and set this
      sytem in a loop.

      Fall Over:
      If SDC stops responding to 1x1 file ping, it shifts to the auxilary
      server.

      Code within the site:
      How do we keep a check if this is working, over the time?
      could be merged with frist scenario, how?
      are there any apps which fire a java event?

      Any other monitoring tactics in place?
      Would be great to have some more monitoring tactics in place.

      Thanks
      Samrat D'souza
      (Samy)
    • margosd
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 31, 2008
        I'm sure, you'll get lots of responses, but for us, we have a DNS
        entry front-ending the SDC server(s) with a load balancer, so 3 SDC
        servers are in use normally. Then we monitor BOTH the DNS Alias as
        well as the actual hostname being used.

        While not as large of a shop as you have described, it meets our
        needs -- Dave

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "samratdsouza"
        <samratdsouza@...> wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > I have been working with webtrends for around 2.5+ years now,
        however
        > a novice with SDC.
        >
        > We are about to go live with SDC for one of our clients.
        > However, we are intimidated about the part of SDC being up and
        > running 24/7. We need to have a good monitoring in place before we
        > shift to SDC.
        >
        > Reason of concern: more than 200 website owners all excited to
        shift
        > to SDC, Could come in a phase or all together :).
        >
        > In short, I've read the monitoring document.
        >
        > Thought of some scenarios like:
        >
        > Log Existence (we have multiple sites running, more than 200):
        > We ping the sdc machine with a website dCSID and then check whether
        > the log is there or not. we set it rotate every hour and set this
        > sytem in a loop.
        >
        > Fall Over:
        > If SDC stops responding to 1x1 file ping, it shifts to the auxilary
        > server.
        >
        > Code within the site:
        > How do we keep a check if this is working, over the time?
        > could be merged with frist scenario, how?
        > are there any apps which fire a java event?
        >
        > Any other monitoring tactics in place?
        > Would be great to have some more monitoring tactics in place.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Samrat D'souza
        > (Samy)

      • vabeachkevin
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 31, 2008
          The SDC logs keep writing to the same file, so if there show a log
          file at 1am then it will still be there at noon, but hopefully
          bigger. So that really doesnt help if it doesnt collect data for a
          couple hour chunk. The one file is still there. You should have some
          general server monitoring solutions to make sure your SDC servers are
          online.
          The on page code should work no problems with no maintence (unless
          someone tries to change something in it).

          Kevin

          <samratdsouza@...> wrote:

          > Hi
          >
          > I have been working with webtrends for around 2.5+ years now,
          however
          > a novice with SDC.
          >
          > We are about to go live with SDC for one of our clients.
          > However, we are intimidated about the part of SDC being up and
          > running 24/7. We need to have a good monitoring in place before we
          > shift to SDC.
          >
          > Reason of concern: more than 200 website owners all excited to
          shift
          > to SDC, Could come in a phase or all together :).
          >
          > In short, I've read the monitoring document.
          >
          > Thought of some scenarios like:
          >
          > Log Existence (we have multiple sites running, more than 200):
          > We ping the sdc machine with a website dCSID and then check whether
          > the log is there or not. we set it rotate every hour and set this
          > sytem in a loop.
          >
          > Fall Over:
          > If SDC stops responding to 1x1 file ping, it shifts to the auxilary
          > server.
          >
          > Code within the site:
          > How do we keep a check if this is working, over the time?
          > could be merged with frist scenario, how?
          > are there any apps which fire a java event?
          >
          > Any other monitoring tactics in place?
          > Would be great to have some more monitoring tactics in place.
          >
          > Thanks
          > Samrat D'souza
          > (Samy)

        • mkgolden1
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 31, 2008
            Use the same monitoring tools you use for the web sites, only have it
            call against the one-pixel gif. Be sure the call is formatted
            properly or you will end up with a big dcs.audit file. You can use a
            bogus dcsid for it and trash the logs; you just really want to know if
            the server is up, right?

            Definitely use at least 2 servers with a load balancer if only to
            accommodate a maintenance window for the SDC server(s).

            I am curious: are you using separate dcsid's for each site, or are you
            going to roll them up into one site, or are you using the wt.sp, or
            what? And why did you choose what you chose?

            --Mike Golden

            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "vabeachkevin" <kevin.rogers@...>
            wrote:

            > The SDC logs keep writing to the same file, so if there show a log
            > file at 1am then it will still be there at noon, but hopefully
            > bigger. So that really doesnt help if it doesnt collect data for a
            > couple hour chunk. The one file is still there. You should have some
            > general server monitoring solutions to make sure your SDC servers are
            > online.
            > The on page code should work no problems with no maintence (unless
            > someone tries to change something in it).
            >

            > Kevin
            >

            > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "samratdsouza"
            > <samratdsouza@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi
            > >
            > > I have been working with webtrends for around 2.5+ years now,
            > however
            > > a novice with SDC.
            > >
            > > We are about to go live with SDC for one of our clients.
            > > However, we are intimidated about the part of SDC being up and
            > > running 24/7. We need to have a good monitoring in place before we
            > > shift to SDC.
            > >
            > > Reason of concern: more than 200 website owners all excited to
            > shift
            > > to SDC, Could come in a phase or all together :).
            > >
            > > In short, I've read the monitoring document.
            > >
            > > Thought of some scenarios like:
            > >
            > > Log Existence (we have multiple sites running, more than 200):
            > > We ping the sdc machine with a website dCSID and then check whether
            > > the log is there or not. we set it rotate every hour and set this
            > > sytem in a loop.
            > >
            > > Fall Over:
            > > If SDC stops responding to 1x1 file ping, it shifts to the auxilary
            > > server.
            > >
            > > Code within the site:
            > > How do we keep a check if this is working, over the time?
            > > could be merged with frist scenario, how?
            > > are there any apps which fire a java event?
            > >
            > > Any other monitoring tactics in place?
            > > Would be great to have some more monitoring tactics in place.
            > >
            > > Thanks
            > > Samrat D'souza
            > > (Samy)

          • samratdsouza
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1, 2008
              I'm sure, you'll get lots of responses, but for us, we have a DNS
              entry front-ending the SDC server(s) with a load balancer, so 3 SDC
              servers are in use normally. Then we monitor BOTH the DNS Alias as
              well as the actual hostname being used.

              While not as large of a shop as you have described, it meets our
              needs -- Dave

              What about the scenario where you get a sucessful ping from SDC, but
              it's not logging?

              If you're not monitoring it, i'd say you better.

              The SDC logs keep writing to the same file, so if there show a log
              file at 1am then it will still be there at noon, but hopefully
              bigger. So that really doesnt help if it doesnt collect data for a
              couple hour chunk. The one file is still there. You should have some
              general server monitoring solutions to make sure your SDC servers are
              online.
              The on page code should work no problems with no maintence (unless
              someone tries to change something in it).

              Kevin

              Not necessarily, depends on your config. For multiple sites I'd write
              to different files so as to monitor site wise too, other than SDC
              server.

              Well, the analytics team deosn't interact with dev guys much; So we
              need to monitor the page code too.
              Any monitroing tools on the block, which support script events on the
              page?

              Use the same monitoring tools you use for the web sites, only have it
              call against the one-pixel gif. Be sure the call is formatted
              properly or you will end up with a big dcs.audit file. You can use a
              bogus dcsid for it and trash the logs; you just really want to know if
              the server is up, right?

              Definitely use at least 2 servers with a load balancer if only to
              accommodate a maintenance window for the SDC server(s).

              I am curious: are you using separate dcsid's for each site, or are you
              going to roll them up into one site, or are you using the wt.sp, or
              what? And why did you choose what you chose?

              --Mike Golden

              Yes, I'm planning to use a different dcsID and scrap it everyday.

              Seperate DCSID's for each site, rolling them into one would not give
              us a chance to monitor sites seperately.

              So we use our old weblog files system for SDC to monitor logging.
              Only issue is how do we

              Samrat D'souza
              (Samy)
            • Iain Murphy
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
                SDC creates an audit trail in a file called dcs.audit. It is a logfile which shows if requests have been rejected as well as write out any �issues� experienced. Might be worth keeping an eye on this also. Don�t forget that if you are a Software user of SDC, you will need to add your new DCSID to the site name LST file.

                On another note, WebTrends used to have an Alert and Monitoring feature in its old legacy tool �WebTrends Enterprise Suite� back in the days of 16bit applications. You can still get this alert and monitoring feature from http://product.webtrends.com/WRC/6.0/Accessories/misc/techtools.aspx, the product is called Tech Tools and is free from memory.

                I appreciate this next piece is not automated, but if you haven�t heard of or seen it before, HTTP Watch www.httpwatch.com (this is an IE plugin but I believe there is a �copied� Firefox version about also) is a good tool to check the tag is 1) executing and 2) the hit is successful with your SDC server (or WTOD account) or alternatively try out WASP wasp.immeria.net/index2.htm.

                Hope this helps,
                Iain

                SPIWEB Consultancy Limited