funnels - visitor metric

  • mchoe_luxury
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 27, 2008
      is it possible to create funnels using unique visitors as the unit of
      measurment, instead of visits, in webtrends?

      is it possible to do this in site catalyst (omniture)?

      thanks,
      michael
    • Thomas Bosilevac
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 28, 2008
        It is not possible to do this within WebTrends. Furthermore, the only
        way to filter scenario's (in order to at least segment visitors) is at
        the profile level. I would be intrested to find out more about
        Omniture!

        --
        --------------------------------------
        Thomas Bosilevac
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 31, 2008
          Hi Michael,

          It doesn't seem as if SiteCatalyst can do this either. In version 14
          there are numerous funnel reports (Conversion or Product funnels allow
          you to change the metrics) but none allow unique visits as a metric, the
          default is visits.

          I thought of possibly using an ASI segment to create a set of data which
          is filtered by unique visits (no unique metrics were available by
          default) by using the "visit number" metric set to 1 over a time period
          but that would only give me first time visitors, and not a unique
          visitor perspective. i.e. say you reported for a month, but there were
          100 visitors that were at your site 2 months ago - they would be
          filtered out since this wasn't their first visit

          Regards,

          Riaan Jacobs

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 9 10:42 PM
            This is only possible via implementation in my opinion. This requires
            keeping your own persistent state on the client browser via cookies, and
            only sending data at a funnel level if the other levels have been
            satisfied. This could be sent into an HBX custom metric or a s.prop in
            SiteCatalyst. My guess is this would be an important portion of the
            website so there wouldn't be numerous permutations of funnel definitions
            to be tracked.

            If there are then you could tag the pages with funnel and funnel level
            information. For example

            var visitorFunnel = "1.1";

            This would be funnel 1 level 1. The implementation javascript would see
            that value and cache it as a cookie. When it encountered:

            var visitorFunnel = "1.2";

            It would check it's cookie and see 1.1 exists so the user is satisfying
            the funnel.

            The drawbacks are you would have to author the javascript to do this.
            Without risking Belkinization, I would actually say this is pretty easy
            for someone with intermediate to advanced javascript skills. This also
            requires you know in advance the flow of your funnels, but I would
            imagine that's not too much of an issue.

            If you wanted to throw a little challenge into it, you could make the
            code aware of a list of pages such as

            var visitorFunnel = "1.2,2.3,4.5";

            These would be funnels that share the same page but at different levels.
            The code would have to make sure 1.1, 2.2 or 4.4 existed to update the
            appropriate values in the cookie.

            The reporting wouldn't be de-duplicated automatically, but you would
            know for example with a three step funnel, the uniques with 1.3 values
            would be the actual unique converters, the uniques with 1.2 values minus
            the 1.3 uniques would be the uniques stuck at level 2, etc. You would
            have to be careful with your reporting date ranges as someone could
            visit levels 1 and 2 in April and level 3 in May. Within May, you would
            have 1 converter with no one being stuck at levels 1 or 2. As long as
            you reported on larger date ranges, or from inception of the
            implementation which would make the most sense for visitor based
            metrics, you should have a good idea of what's happening.

            If this solution is of interest, I can blog about it at our corporate
            analytics blog @ http://tealium.com/blog/ with the corresponding code
            samples.

            --Mike Anderson
            Co-Founder, Tealium.com

            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Riaan Jacobs" <rjacobs@...> wrote:

            > Hi Michael,
            >

            > It doesn't seem as if SiteCatalyst can do this either. In version 14
            > there are numerous funnel reports (Conversion or Product funnels allow
            > you to change the metrics) but none allow unique visits as a metric,
            the
            > default is visits.
            >

            > I thought of possibly using an ASI segment to create a set of data
            which
            > is filtered by unique visits (no unique metrics were available by
            > default) by using the "visit number" metric set to 1 over a time
            period
            > but that would only give me first time visitors, and not a unique
            > visitor perspective. i.e. say you reported for a month, but there were
            > 100 visitors that were at your site 2 months ago - they would be
            > filtered out since this wasn't their first visit
            >

            > Regards,
            >
            > Riaan Jacobs

          • Aaron Gray
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 11 2:15 PM
              It is correct that in WebTrends Analytics you cannot configure Scenario
              Analysis reports to show visitors. The solution Mike posits may get you
              unique visitors in a roundabout way.

              For clarity, what you see in Analytics Scenario Analysis reports is
              "visits". I've seen people refer to "unique visits" as something
              different than "visits", which I'm not sure I understand. A visit, in
              WebTrends parlance, is a session measurement, not a hit, or instance
              measurement. If, in one session, I hit the first step of a scenario 20
              times I'm still just one visit.

              If you're using WebTrends Visitor Intelligence, however, you can easily
              build a scenario funnel report that includes unique visitors as a
              measure (in addition to visits). Using Visitor Intelligence also
              allows you to easily do robust and complex segmentation of said funnels.

              Feel free to email me directly if you'd like to discuss further.

              Aaron Gray
              WebTrends