IT Support for Web Analytics?

  • Leticia Colon
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 23, 2008
      Hi

      I am in the process of finding information or resources for the internal web
      administrator to learn more about helping me with my web analytics tagging
      process.

      I am not a coder since last century so I dont even plan to tag or do this
      implementation stage from an IT stand point.

      I dont want to confuse him with information for analysts per se - is there
      any references I can lead him in the right direction?

      So far, it will be a 2 tag team - im the web analyst/insights guru and he
      will be my techie conterpart.

      Any advice is greatly appreciated.

      Thankks

    • bryan.cristina
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 24, 2008
        Well, what kind of information are you looking for, exactly?
        Something like where to put in .js includes, what javascript to put
        around click events, what variables to put on pages, etc?

        Any of the tools will most likely have implementation guides and
        separate user guides. The imp/admin guides are a little more
        technical and in depth about tagging procedures the coders would need,
        and the user guides obviously are for the end users who have had no
        idea any tagging probably took place to begin with.

        You HAVE coded though, from the sounds of it, so I would use that to
        your advantage to understand the process and what needs to happen and
        where it needs to go, but not have to actually do the coding yourself.
        For instance, I tell developers where a tag needs to be, the syntax
        of the tag, what variables are in there and what the value needs to be
        or what it needs to come from, but the actual coding is all their
        responsibility.

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Leticia Colon"
        <leticia.colon01@...> wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > I am in the process of finding information or resources for the
        internal web
        > administrator to learn more about helping me with my web analytics
        tagging
        > process.
        >
        > I am not a coder since last century so I dont even plan to tag or do
        this
        > implementation stage from an IT stand point.
        >
        > I dont want to confuse him with information for analysts per se - is
        there
        > any references I can lead him in the right direction?
        >
        > So far, it will be a 2 tag team - im the web analyst/insights guru
        and he
        > will be my techie conterpart.
        >
        > Any advice is greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Thankks

      • Stephane Hamel
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 25, 2008
          Haven been on the IT side, my advice would be to explain & show them
          why those little javascript lines are so important. What you can do
          with them and how it will not only impact your own job, but also that
          of the whole company. Simply telling them to put a snippet of code
          without context is likely to backfire because it's "yet another task
          on their plate" and they won't even know why it's important.

          As Bryan suggested, most/all tools have implementation guidelines.
          Provide them with that information and work WITH them to define the
          best implementation strategy (such as naming conventions for URLs and
          titles, custom variables, pages that requires more advanced coding,
          etc.) Don't simply come up with a todo list, engage them in the
          process because IT is a big part of the web analytics success.

          I've also posted a longer ramble on this topic on my blog at
          http://blog.immeria.net

          Stéphane

          <leticia.colon01@...> wrote:

          > Hi
          >
          > I am in the process of finding information or resources for the
          internal web
          > administrator to learn more about helping me with my web analytics
          tagging
          > process.
          >
          > I am not a coder since last century so I dont even plan to tag or do
          this
          > implementation stage from an IT stand point.
          >
          > I dont want to confuse him with information for analysts per se - is
          there
          > any references I can lead him in the right direction?
          >
          > So far, it will be a 2 tag team - im the web analyst/insights guru
          and he
          > will be my techie conterpart.
          >
          > Any advice is greatly appreciated.
          >
          > Thankks

        • Susan Fine
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 26, 2008
            Hi

            I am looking for a top ten Analysis of why SiteCatalyst is better than
            Google Analytics. I know SiteCatalyst (and its USP's well) but not GA,
            so I am looking for some assistance here.

            Any input is most welcome.

            Thanks

            Susan Fine

            Web Analytics Director

            www.acceleration.biz

            Disclaimer: Click here to view online
            <http://www.acceleration.biz/new/maildisclaimer.asp>

            _

          • Stephane Hamel
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 26, 2008
              Hi Susan,
              I my humble opinion, you're talking about two very different beasts.
              You might want to check the latest "Forrester Wave: Web Analytics",
              there's also the CMS Watch 2008 Web Analytics Report that goes into a
              lot of details describing the differences between the tools.

              I won't say Omniture is "better" than GA because, as others will
              certainly point out "it depends"...

              The power of one vs the other doesn't only rely in their ability to
              "report" data, but also in how far you can push the envelope with
              other tools such as Discover, SearchCenter, Genesis, the API, data
              integration, import/export, and more advanced tools such as Test & Target.

              But still, here's some areas where I think SiteCatalyst offering is
              interesting:
              - customizable dashboard, unlimited number of them
              - more advanced segmentation
              - more custom variables
              - custom reporting
              - granular user rights & security
              - online training & knowledge base
              - unlimited data store (GA license agreement state they will keep data
              for 2 years, which might not be sufficient in some cases)
              - all data handling tools: API, import/export, datawarehouse, Genesis,
              Excel integration, etc.

              That being said, I use both products, as well as Coremetrics,
              WebTrends and HBX... GA is best suited in a lot of situations,
              especially when the web analytics maturity of the company is lower.

              Stéphane Hamel
              eBusiness strategist & web analytics consultant
              http://immeria.net

              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Fine" <sfine@...> wrote:

              > Hi
              >

              > I am looking for a top ten Analysis of why SiteCatalyst is better than
              > Google Analytics. I know SiteCatalyst (and its USP's well) but not GA,
              > so I am looking for some assistance here.
              >

              > Any input is most welcome.
              >

              > Thanks
              >

              > Susan Fine
              >
              > Web Analytics Director
              >

              > www.acceleration.biz
              >

              > Disclaimer: Click here to view online
              > <http://www.acceleration.biz/new/maildisclaimer.asp>
              >
              > P Please consider the environment before printing this email
              >

              > _

            • Susan Fine
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 27, 2008
                Hi Stephane

                Thanks so much for the response. As I hit the button I regretted saying "better" rather than "different". I agree that both the products have their place, depending on client requirements and very definitely maturity.

                These days we often get clients asking why they should stay with a 'fee' solution and not go with a 'free' one. We want to be able to provide a bulleted list for our Business Development guys, so that they can quickly and easily highlight the USP's of each. I have read a number of vendor comparison guides but was interested to see what the broader WA community thinks. From the content I have already read on the forum, I am always interested in the different views from the trenches.

                I would be interested in any other insight you may have, especially since you work across multiple vendors.

                Best regards