What is the Proper Balance?

  • Nathan
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 22, 2008
      How do you strike a balance between information-gathering/data-analysis
      and report-creating/insight-sharing at your job?

      In other words, we as Web Analysts are paid to PRODUCE, am I right?

      What percentage of what you do would you say is thinking and education,
      and what percentage is making something tangible?

      I'm curious; what do you think is the "Proper" balance?
    • malincoleridge
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 22, 2008
        I think that the real value we bring to the conversation is the
        thinking and producing insights. Unfortunately, the creating of
        reports takes a lot of time. But I would say that the producing
        should be about 60% of the time with the caveat that this is
        definitely a challenge.

        Malin
        Senior Web Analyst
        Techsoup.org

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Nathan" <nate@...> wrote:

        > How do you strike a balance between information-gathering/data-
        analysis
        > and report-creating/insight-sharing at your job?
        >
        > In other words, we as Web Analysts are paid to PRODUCE, am I right?
        >
        > What percentage of what you do would you say is thinking and
        education,
        > and what percentage is making something tangible?
        >
        > I'm curious; what do you think is the "Proper" balance?

      • Debora Geary
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 23, 2008
          Well, I'm a consultant, which can have different pressures than being
          an employee, but I'm most certainly not paid to produce (or I avoid
          those clients!).

          My time mostly splits between communication (from the client -
          understanding what's important in their world, from me - sharing
          insights to support their important decisions) and data discovery. In
          some cases the client's question is pretty straightforward to
          understand and the data discovery is more complex - in other cases, it
          takes a long time to focus in on what they really want to know, and a
          lot less time to grab the relevant data.

          I try to spend as little time as possible creating reports :). I'm
          pretty obsessive about using client training, dashboards, and
          semi-automated Excel spreadsheets to minimize data-monkey
          responsibilities.

          Debora

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 25, 2008
            Thanks for that, to both of you. I'm relating the most to Malin,
            because I'm not a consultant like Deborah, but it sounds like both of
            you focus more on gaining insights than on creating reports. What's
            the real value to key decision-makers of a report that provides no
            real action anyway? Best to you both, and thanks.

            Nathan
            poolcenter.com

            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "malincoleridge"
            <malincoleridge@...> wrote:

            > I think that the real value we bring to the conversation is the
            > thinking and producing insights. Unfortunately, the creating of
            > reports takes a lot of time. But I would say that the producing
            > should be about 60% of the time with the caveat that this is
            > definitely a challenge.
            >
            > Malin
            > Senior Web Analyst
            > Techsoup.org
          • Stephane Hamel
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 25, 2008
              I would argue that we're not paid to PRODUCE, we're paid to bring
              insight. A farmer PRODUCE lettuce and carrots for someone else to
              transform into salad... a web analyst should provide INSIGHT that can
              influence business decision (or, to stay in the same analogy, advise
              the farmer to produce spinach because it's becoming more trendy and
              more profitable than lettuce).

              Reports are tools, a mean of communication that brings our advices in
              an easier and "pass along to others" form. Most managers loves reports
              because it's tangible, they can show it off and pass it along to their
              colleagues. But the real value hidden in the report are not the charts
              and tables, it's the story they tell.

              I'm also a freelance, so maybe it's not a good reference. But I spend
              as much as 30% learning, educating myself & staying tuned to the
              business (the web analytics field in general, but also the specific
              vertical industry of my clients). Then I spend another 40% doing
              analysis and finding ways to communicate the info more effectively.
              Another 20% actually communicating the results, coaching and
              increasing my clients web analytics maturity. The remaining 10% is
              mostly admin time.

              But this goes on a 40-50hr week schedule...