> Path analysis by visits our visitors?

  • sdonic@sqli.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2 1:41 AM
      When trying to get reports on navigation paths (from or to a certain page)
      or on scenarios (eg step by step process), do you think it is more
      relevant to use visits or visitors?

      Some say it is better to use visitors because it relates to the individual
      human (or machine, depending on the sessionization method), some say it is
      better to use visits since paths are calculated as a series of pages
      viewed during a visit

      I would prefer visitors, but I don't know of any vendor using the visitor
      metric in a graphic representation of path analysis
    • jimmacintyreiv
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2 3:06 AM
        It would be most beneficial for you to have the ability to look at
        paths from *both* of those points of view as well as some others.
        Generally the skeleton of a thorough web analytics schema looks
        something like:

        Visitors --<- Visits --<- Page Views --<- Impressions

        For any ordered set of pages or ordered sets of sets of pages that you
        include in a scenario you should be able to calculate Visitor, Visit,
        and Page View derived metrics for sets of steps (sequential or not) or
        "paths."

        The solution should also let you select the "Visitors" that . . or
        select the "Sessions" that. . . took a certain set of steps and then
        look at that segment of Visitors or Sessions using other analysis
        tools and metrics.

        In some cases it makes sense to use Visitors and in some cases it
        makes sense to use Sessions . . I tend to agree with you and like
        using Visitors better personnally.

        I use an interactive pathing analysis tool that uses Visitors, Visits
        or Page Views as a base and then allows me to color the path analysis
        by any other metric, so for instance I can start anywhere and for
        instance look down the paths with the highest retention rate or
        conversion rate. When I have identified a path to focus on I can
        select it and through doing so have a segment including that set of
        visitors (or sessions) to use for other analysis. . .

        Best regards,

        Jim MacIntyre
        Visual Sciences