RE: [webanalytics] Gender differences in visitor behavior?

  • Matt Van Wagner
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2005
      Debora,

      Sorry not to respond to your question earlier. Been preparing for SES NYC
      where I am looking forward to meeting everyone and joining the new WAA.

      A company I am very familiar with, Next Stage Evolution Analytics, has
      research available (see description below) on gender experience on the web.
      The CRO, Joseph Carrabis, whom you may recognize from the 90's (if you are
      of a certain age, I guess) as one of the leading authors of computer
      programming texts, has done unbelievable work in this area.

      Go to http://www.nextstagevolution.com/researchpapers.cfm

      "What We're Learning About Visitors From Websites"

      Overview: This paper is based on a similarly titled presentation which has
      been given in several locations in the US and Canada in 2003 and early 2004,
      and is based on research on visitors and their needs on websites. The
      specific research on which this paper is based began in 1998, is ongoing,
      and includes studies of eCommerce, eLearning, Infotainment and Personal
      websites targeting a variety of demographics (male, female, ages from
      15-85yo, various vocational, educational and income backgrounds). The
      research itself was performed using both NextStage Evolution's (NSE)
      proprietary Evolution Technology (ET) and through visitor interviews and
      correspondence with website owners, visitors and designers. Research on the
      principles involved in ET began in 1987 and is ongoing. Development of ET
      itself began in 1991 and is ongoing.

      Evolution Technology is based on studies and research in some 120
      disciplines in four major fields; Anthropology, Linguistics, Mathematics and
      NeuroScience. Starting in 1991, eight basic tests have been performed and
      repeated at regular intervals in order to insure ET's being calibrated for
      the current web-browsing population. These eight tests include...

      Matt Van Wagner

      <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
      Matt Van Wagner matt@...
      President 603-557-7504
      Find Me Faster Fax 925-666-1434
      80 Stillwater Drive
      Nashua, NH 03062
      <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2005
        Thanks Matt. My graduate degree is actually in Human Evolution, so
        I'm fascinated to see someone applying offshoots of that field to
        web experiences.

        Debora

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Van Wagner" <matt@f...>
        wrote:

        > Debora,
        >
        > Sorry not to respond to your question earlier. Been preparing
        for SES NYC
        > where I am looking forward to meeting everyone and joining the new
        WAA.

        > A company I am very familiar with, Next Stage Evolution Analytics,
        has
        > research available (see description below) on gender experience on
        the web.
        > The CRO, Joseph Carrabis, whom you may recognize from the 90's (if
        you are
        > of a certain age, I guess) as one of the leading authors of
        computer
        > programming texts, has done unbelievable work in this area.
        >
        > Go to http://www.nextstagevolution.com/researchpapers.cfm
        >
        > "What We're Learning About Visitors From Websites"
        >
        > Overview: This paper is based on a similarly titled presentation
        which has
        > been given in several locations in the US and Canada in 2003 and
        early 2004,
        > and is based on research on visitors and their needs on websites.
        The
        > specific research on which this paper is based began in 1998, is
        ongoing,
        > and includes studies of eCommerce, eLearning, Infotainment and
        Personal
        > websites targeting a variety of demographics (male, female, ages
        from
        > 15-85yo, various vocational, educational and income backgrounds).
        The
        > research itself was performed using both NextStage Evolution's
        (NSE)
        > proprietary Evolution Technology (ET) and through visitor
        interviews and
        > correspondence with website owners, visitors and designers.
        Research on the
        > principles involved in ET began in 1987 and is ongoing.
        Development of ET
        > itself began in 1991 and is ongoing.
        >
        > Evolution Technology is based on studies and research in some 120
        > disciplines in four major fields; Anthropology, Linguistics,
        Mathematics and
        > NeuroScience. Starting in 1991, eight basic tests have been
        performed and
        > repeated at regular intervals in order to insure ET's being
        calibrated for
        > the current web-browsing population. These eight tests include...
        >

        > Matt Van Wagner
        >
        > <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
        > Matt Van Wagner matt@f...
        > President 603-557-7504
        > Find Me Faster Fax 925-666-1434
        > 80 Stillwater Drive
        > Nashua, NH 03062
        > <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

      • Crowdes, Michael
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2005
          Message
          Debora,

          I've attached, (new to this forum so I hope that's ok), a recap of a study from the Online Publishers Association that examined media consumption of the at-work internet audience.  I think that it may lead you in some interesting directions regarding your questions about men vs. women as it takes a decent look at differences in internet use between men and women by day part, compared to other media.  The study is getting a little old, it's from 2003, but the television usage portions still look pretty valid two years later so I don't think the online portions will be completely invalid.

          As it relates to web analytics, I think that if you were to look at this data as an indicator of what's going on in a segment's life at a certain time during the day, say early morning, and compare that to the kind of behavior you're seeing on your site you could start to draw some conclusions - e.g., we see people engage in a lot of "content scanning" behavior on our site at this time, which is when we "know" that women are primarily engaged in a certain type of media consumption etc.

          It might lead you in some interesting directions about when to do things like launch campaigns, rotate content etc.

          Michael Crowdes
          Manager, Interactive Marketing & eCommerce
          Royal Appliance Mfg. Co.
          7005 Cochran Road
          Glenwillow, Ohio 44139
          440-996-2192

          OK, more specific question this time.  There is lots of evidence
          that men and women respond to marketing in some measurably different
          ways.  I assume this means we tend to browse the web differently
          too.  Is there anything out there that looks at this from a web
          analytics perspective?  Do any of you have anecdotal evidence of how
          a primarily male or primarily female site audience or visitor
          segment behaves differently?

          Debora

          ---------------------------------------
          Web Metrics Discussion Group
          Moderated by Eric T. Peterson
          Author, Web Analytics Demystified
          http://www.webanalyticsdemystified.com

          Visit the Dirt Devil web site at http://www.dirtdevil.com/news for more information on our latest products, including the new Dynamite QuickVac.

        • Eric Peterson
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2005
            Michael, I don't think the attachment attached but there is a "Files"
            link in Yahoo! that should allow you to upload the document for the
            entire group (if they're interested).

            Interesting subject for sure.

            Eric

            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Crowdes, Michael"

          • Ben Godfrey
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2, 2005
              I managed to get a copy of the file through the mailing list, and very
              interesting it was too.

              I guess if there is an upload facility on Yahoo!, then files should be
              placed there in preference, so they can be reached later.

              Thanks Michael!

              Ben

              On 2 Mar 2005, at 15:49, Eric Peterson wrote:

              > Michael, I don't think the attachment attached but there is a "Files"
              > link in Yahoo! that should allow you to upload the document for the
              > entire group (if they're interested).
              >
              > Interesting subject for sure.
              >
              > Eric

              ((Ben Godfrey) (Software) (see "http://www.cohack.com/?src=eval"))
            • Crowdes, Michael
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 2, 2005
                Message
                Thanks Eric, I've posted the study in the files section.  Debora, since women are key decision makers for our product they are our prime demo.  I'd love to hear what you come up with.

                Mike - Dirt Devil

                <michael.crowdes@r...> wrote:
                > Debora,

                > I've attached, (new to this forum so I hope that's ok), a recap of a
                > study from the Online Publishers Association that examined media
                > consumption of the at-work internet audience.  I think that it may lead
                > you in some interesting directions regarding your questions about men
                > vs. women as it takes a decent look at differences in internet use
                > between men and women by day part, compared to other media.  The study
                > is getting a little old, it's from 2003, but the television usage
                > portions still look pretty valid two years later so I don't think the
                > online portions will be completely invalid.

                > As it relates to web analytics, I think that if you were to look at this
                > data as an indicator of what's going on in a segment's life at a certain
                > time during the day, say early morning, and compare that to the kind of
                > behavior you're seeing on your site you could start to draw some
                > conclusions - e.g., we see people engage in a lot of "content scanning"
                > behavior on our site at this time, which is when we "know" that women
                > are primarily engaged in a certain type of media consumption etc.

                > It might lead you in some interesting directions about when to do things
                > like launch campaigns, rotate content etc.

                > Michael Crowdes
                > Manager, Interactive Marketing & eCommerce
                > Royal Appliance Mfg. Co.
                > 7005 Cochran Road
                > Glenwillow, Ohio 44139
                > 440-996-2192

              • Debora Geary
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 2, 2005
                  Thanks very much, Mike. Very interesting read. First, let me
                  reveal my own biases and self interest – in one of my several
                  hats,
                  I run a small market research company that helps businesses market
                  to moms. I got pulled into analytics because several of my clients
                  wanted our help with their ecommerce sites, and I HATE doing
                  anything without good data. We combine user feedback and analytics
                  to figure out how to optimize their site experience for moms. So I
                  have a "vested interest" in the question of do women (and
                  moms, more
                  specifically), browse sites differently, particularly when they are
                  looking to purchase? I've seen some segments pop up on my client
                  sites that I would just swear are men – they behave
                  "strangely"!

                  I liked the OPA stuff about time of day. I also wonder whether
                  purpose for being online varies by time of day. For example, based
                  on personal and anecdotal evidence, I would expect that working moms
                  hitting a site in the morning are intent on buying and/or comparison
                  shopping (morning is when we still have the energy to knock things
                  off our to-do list) – women arriving in the afternoon are more in
                  window shopping mode (have run out of energy at work and are looking
                  for a distraction – may still purchase, but it would be more of
                  an
                  impulse decision). I like your idea about rotating content, Mike
                  –
                  there's some interesting A/B tests just waiting to be done! Also
                  makes me want to take another look at the "time of day" variable for
                  some of the more valuable segments on my client sites...

                  Thanks again, great food for thought.

                  Debora

                  <michael.crowdes@r...> wrote:
                  > Thanks Eric, I've posted the study in the files section. Debora,
                  since
                  > women are key decision makers for our product they are our prime
                  demo.
                  > I'd love to hear what you come up with.
                  >
                  > Mike - Dirt Devil

                  subject=Unsubscribe>

                  > Yahoo! Terms
                  > > of Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                  > >

                  > > Visit the Dirt Devil web site at
                  http://www.dirtdevil.com/news
                  > for
                  > more information on our latest products, including the new
                  > Dynamite
                  > QuickVac.
                  > >
                  > > The information transmitted is intended only for the
                  person or
                  > entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential
                  > and/or
                  > privileged material. Any review, retransmission,
                  dissemination
                  > or
                  > other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this
                  > information by persons or entities other than the intended
                  > recipient
                  > is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact
                  the
                  > sender and delete the material from any computer.
                  >

                  > ---------------------------------------
                  > Web Metrics Discussion Group
                  > Moderated by Eric T. Peterson
                  > Author, Web Analytics Demystified
                  > http://www.webanalyticsdemystified.com
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                  > click here

                  <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1296uigno/M=298184.6018725.7038619.30011
                  76/

                  D=groups/S=1705005582:HM/EXP=1109865016/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*
                  htt
                  > p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075>
                  >
                  > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
                  M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=group
                  > s/S=:HM/A=2593423/rand=451108585>
                  >

                  > _____
                  >
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  subject=Unsubscribe>