Thoughts on properly handling subdomains in GA?

  • David Culbertson
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2008
      Folks,

      I've got a client, a university, who has some subdomains. For example:

      main site: www.school.edu
      undergrad site: undergrad.school.edu
      MBA site: mba.school.edu

      They're just getting going with Google Analytics. Each subdomain has
      its own profile so they're being tracked separately. I am, however,
      concerned about Google recognizing referrals between the domains.

      Do I need to adjust the on-page script or add a filter to each profile
      so that, as an example, referrals from www.school.edu to
      undergrad.school.edu aren't identified as self-referrals?

      David Culbertson
      LightBulb Interactive
    • marshallsponder
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2008
        Hi David,

        I ran into this problem last year when I had an online travel agency for
        Ireland and Scotland that was buying traffic from TravelZoo and then
        sending it to a subdomain when they booked (ie: main domain was
        something like www.irishvacations.com and subdomain was
        ew.irishvacations.com).

        All the subdomain pages seemed to be captured under Top Content - but
        when you went to those pages and looked back for the TravelZoo trafic,
        all that was coming up was the landing page on the irishvactions.com
        (not the real site url, btw).

        After pulling my hair out I found out that the GA tag was not properly
        set up to track subdomains. Fortunately, Justin C. has a pretty good
        writeup that should tell you everything you need (and we're looking at
        this at Monster.com - yeah, we're on WebTrends and moving over to Visual
        Sciences - but at the end of the day, we may use Google Analytics for a
        lot of other, lower end stuff - and this article really does address
        what we need to do and what you need to do).

        http://www.epikone.com/blog/2007/11/19/tracking-sub-domains-with-google-\
        analytics/

        Enjoy,
        Marshall
        www.theanalyticsguru.com
        www.webmetricsguru.com
        JOIN WAASocial - the WAA's Social Network at
        WAASOCIAL.WEBANALYTICSASSOCIATION.ORG

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "David Culbertson"
        <davidsculbertson@...> wrote:

        > Folks,
        >
        > I've got a client, a university, who has some subdomains. For example:
        >
        > main site: www.school.edu
        > undergrad site: undergrad.school.edu
        > MBA site: mba.school.edu
        >
        > They're just getting going with Google Analytics. Each subdomain has
        > its own profile so they're being tracked separately. I am, however,
        > concerned about Google recognizing referrals between the domains.
        >
        > Do I need to adjust the on-page script or add a filter to each profile
        > so that, as an example, referrals from www.school.edu to
        > undergrad.school.edu aren't identified as self-referrals?
        >
        > David Culbertson
        > LightBulb Interactive

      • David Culbertson
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2008