RE: [webanalytics] Tealeaf

  • Craig Sullivan
    Message 1 of 36 , Feb 28, 2008
      Adam,

      The problem is that I can and *do* find the root causes of this stuff, I just don't need no honking video playback to find most stuff.

      I know from analysing form submissions, for example, that people mistype postcodes (zip codes) here in the UK. We find that some people make mistakes in the field (they switch 0 and 0 or 1 and l, for example). Using the post office guidelines here in the UK, we find we can save 5% of bailouts each day by 'auto fixing' these mistakes.

      The point I'm trying to make is for us to be clear about learning from properly configured tools. I don't care what you use as long as you get more understanding than by not looking at all and that you have trust in the data.

      You asked some great questions there but I wouldn't assume that you are alone in wishing that people cared about testing. We check things like:

      A browser matrix of people who 'doorstep' the site, not just those who actually use it.
      All 3rd party tags, ads, content is monitored to object and HTTP level by Keynote and SLA monitored
      We have a dedicated QA team who help us manage all code and UI publishes
      Customer research is regular, features competitors and helps us improve the experience
      etc. etc.

      I'll leave you with one last thought. By forcing myself to get error messages whenever one of our film downloads glitches, I've been brought more in touch with problems. Now we are building a system to react to the common issues and send the solution to the customer by email, immediately when it occurs.

      If I had needed to wait to see these problems on video, it would have been too late. Deciding to be aware of when things go wrong is sometimes better than watching the action replay.

      Craig Sullivan
      Digital Development Manager
      LOVEFiLM International
      +44 (0)7711 657315
      +44 (0)20 8896 8050

      There are no rules, only customers.....

      Message 36 of 36 , May 15 10:06 AM
        Hey hello, Sibel,
        Hope you are well,
        Thanks for taking out time and replying to my post, it was really helpful :)