Re: This posting demonstrates one of the central issues in analytics today ...

  • Debora Geary
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 23, 2005
      Amen. And let me add to that - I doubt the tools will ever get good
      enough to automate answers to all the questions (maybe because there
      is not enough market pressure to do so).

      I've worked with marketing/business data warehouses and their
      associated tools for 8 years now, and since day one, have been
      expecting them to put me and my little Excel spreadsheets out of
      business. Hasn't happened yet. The tools do a good job at one
      dimensional questions, but more complex, multidimensional questions
      are harder to ask, and would generate exponential complexity (and
      $$) in the tools. In the end, it's usually cheaper, easier, and
      more effective for a company to hire a smart analyst with Excel
      spreadsheets :).

      Debora