e-Support analytics : How does the industry measure?

  • Gopi Prashanth
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2008
      Hi,

      I work for the e-Support analytics team for a Hardware/Software
      service provider.

      I have a few queries. Any information would be helpful.

      1. We track the failure of our support site by the ratio of web
      visitor using assisted channel (contact center call / phone / chat
      or visit to the customer service cell) to the total tagged visitors
      to the support site.

      Are there any other way in which a failure can be tracked ?

      2. What are the success measures of a support site that I can
      track in terms of metrics ?

      3. How does the success/failures metrics vary for a support
      site in the following industry.

      a. ISP.

      b. Computer Hardware.

      c. Banking / financial sites.

      d. Logistics.

      4. What initiatives are taken to retain the customers on the
      web instead of using the more expensive channels like call or chat
      or visit to the customer service cell?

      We also measure the satisfaction thro an online survey….however,
      customers tend to rate their overall experience rather than just the
      site. This makes it a bit difficult to measure the site
      effectiveness.

      I have gone thru Avinash 's talks on measuring success for a support
      site.

      http://www.kaushik.net/avinash/2006/08/measuring-success-for-a-
      support-website-a-point-of-view.html

      Is there anything more or different that you can add, please?
    • lucam1968
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2008

        > We also measure the satisfaction thro an online survey….however,
        > customers tend to rate their overall experience rather than just
        the
        > site. This makes it a bit difficult to measure the site
        > effectiveness.

        From my experience it is indeed quite difficult to separate influence
        of single elements to overall experience. Some strategies could be:

        [1] select a random sample of *everyone* that has been using your
        customer support, so to reduce self-selection bias so often present
        particularly in online surveys

        [2] word corretly you survey items, emphasizing that you are looking
        for evaluation of web site alone with an introduction like "Please
        suppose that you had just access to our support web site, so that you
        could not call toll free number of send emails." then ask your
        evaluation question

        [3] if feasible isolate those users that have used the web site from
        those that have just called in.

        HTH,
        Luca

        Mr. Luca MEYER
        Market research, data analysis & more
        www.lucameyer.com - Tel: +39.339.495.00.21
      • Chad Hollingsworth
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 2008
          I would also recommend that rather than generic questions like please rate
          your experience with this site/company that you ask very pointed questions
          about what it is you are trying to better understand from your customer
          point of view. Customers will rate customer service based on an overall
          experience even when they have not used any support. Conversely, customers
          will negatively rate a company based soley on bad customer service. If you
          are interested in understanding more about your site effectiveness, ask
          specific questions around the experience on the site.