Re:Interesting article on Dutch webanalytics vendor market

  • Michel Spalburg
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2008
      The HTML code didn't work so here are the links to the article:

      Dutch:
      http://www.mirabeau.nl/specials/marktaandeel-leveranciers-webstatistieken.asp

      English:
      http://www.mirabeau.nl/specials/monitors-2008/mirabeau-monitor-market-shares-web-statistic-programs.pdf

      Website:

      www.mirabeau.nl

    • Aurélie Pols
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2008
        Hi Michel,

        Thanks for your post.
        We had been wondering for some time where local players, at least in
        Europe, would be going, with the consolidation (well, mainly
        Omniture's purchases).

        In this post (http://webanalytics.wordpress.com/2007/10/31/how-the-
        web-analytics-industry-will-evolve-with-omniture-as-the-green-
        giant/), we wrote back in October:

        "Then we have the local players. Web Analytics solutions that mainly
        serve one geographic area, usually their home country. In France we
        have Xiti for example, in The Netherlands we have Nedstat and
        Moniforce, in Italy we have Imetrix… Out of all these local
        solutions, some of them are also present in other European countries
        such as Nedstat, have suffered from Google Analytics' growth (which
        is translated in many languages) and they will have more and more
        difficulties keeping up. On the one hand the big players are rushing
        to implement new functionalities, to launch or to buy complementary
        products. On the other hand the free products will also increase
        their pressure as they add more and more functionalities."

        Well, Moniforce is settled with their acquisition by Oracle some
        weeks ago.
        As for the others, time will tell.

        Related to your findings, however, I'm a bit surprised by the low
        number of websites found running under VisualSciences (or HBX's WSS)
        as I imagined with a company such as Adversitement (who also
        partnered with Omniture, http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?
        id=802542, which was rather funny as Bob Nieme always preached for
        the VS/WSS chapel but hey, that's life) in the Netherlands that their
        representation might be slightly higher. But then again, this depends
        upon which websites you're actually reviewing.

        We did a couple of these exercises in Belgium as well, the European
        Indexes, http://webanalytics.wordpress.com/category/euro-wa-index/,
        recruiting sites, http://webanalytics.wordpress.com/2007/09/04/online-
        recruiting-and-web-analytics/, and the press sector) and found more
        representation of WebTrends in Belgium for example(I always found
        their reputation in the Netherlands had somewhat been compromised).
        Your report however mentions over 20% "onbekend" (unknown): 33 out of
        the 149. I suppose this is not no tags. Is there a specific reason
        why they were not put into "other"?

        Again, an interesting finding. We all know it depends upon which
        sites you're actually looking at but keeping up such lists does give
        some indication of evolution.

        Cheers from Brussels,
        Aurélie Pols
        OX2 - http://webanalytics.wordpress.com

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Michel Spalburg <m_spalburg@...>
        wrote:

        > The HTML code didn't work so here are the links to the article:
        >
        > Dutch:
        > http://www.mirabeau.nl/specials/marktaandeel-leveranciers-
        webstatistieken.asp

        > English:
        > http://www.mirabeau.nl/specials/monitors-2008/mirabeau-monitor-
        market-shares-web-statistic-programs.pdf

        > Website:
        >
        > www.mirabeau.nl

      • m_spalburg
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 9, 2008
          Hi Aurélie,

          Thanks for your reply, great to see other web analytics enthusiasts
          near by. I found another article on the vendor market by Stephane
          Hamel who also developed the WASP tool we used for our research:

          http://blog.immeria.net/search/label/WASP

          HBX is a well advertised product on the Dutch market because of
          Adversitement. But I guess other vendors are not having trouble
          penetrating the market or keeping market shares because of their
          efforts. Then again if the group of websites researched was larger,
          results might be different. Next year we will be aiming to do a more
          extensive research of the web analytics vendor market.

          The 30 unknown websites are tag-less websites, and websites that
          didn't reply to our survey (by email and phone). Websites that have
          been categorized as having no web analytics solution have actually
          been confirmed by the companies themselves in the survey. The
          category 'other' is a mix of small and old web analytic solutions.

          I am writing a report on functionalism (by Semphonic), which I
          changed to make a more modern approach to web analytics. I would
          love to hear your visions on this subject. If you are in Amsterdam,
          please don't hesitate to stop by our office.

          Thanks again for your reply.

          Cheers,

          Michel Spalburg

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Aurélie Pols <aurelie.pols@...>
          wrote:

> [...]
          > the 149. I suppose this is not no tags. Is there a specific reason
          > why they were not put into "other"?
          >
          > Again, an interesting finding. We all know it depends upon which
          > sites you're actually looking at but keeping up such lists does
          give
          > some indication of evolution.
          >
          > Cheers from Brussels,
          > Aurélie Pols
          > OX2 - http://webanalytics.wordpress.com
          >

          > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Michel Spalburg <m_spalburg@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > The HTML code didn't work so here are the links to the article:
          > >
          > > Dutch:
          > > http://www.mirabeau.nl/specials/marktaandeel-leveranciers-
          > webstatistieken.asp
          > >
          > > English:
          > > http://www.mirabeau.nl/specials/monitors-2008/mirabeau-monitor-
          > market-shares-web-statistic-programs.pdf

        • Stephane Hamel
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 9, 2008
            Michel, glad to hear you used WASP for your study. If ever you have
            some suggestions to improve it, let me know. I added a couple of local
            tools based on feedback I got from Brazil, Spain and Italy. If there
            are specific tools in your market let me know and I'll try to add them
            too.

            In the coming weeks/months I hope to be able to provide market shares
            of web analytics vendors, ad networks and audience measurement by
            geography, verticals, Top 10 or whatever people will find valuable.

            I'm also looking for feedback on the tool itself. I know people want
            to be able to crawl (this will be added on soon!) and get more
            diagnostic features (coming up too!). Anything else?

            Regards,
            Stephane Hamel
            http://blog.immeria.net